4x4 newbie. Rude and Intimidating Service

Old March 11th 04, 04:24 PM
Brent Murphy

Default 4x4 newbie. Rude and Intimidating Service

4x4 newbie. Rude and Intimidating Service - Jurie Swart Motors, Cape Town
South Africa

I want to buy a 4x4, but I am new to the 4x4 market. I am a first time buyer
in the off-road market. I went to Jurie Swart Bakkie Dealership in Cape
Town three weeks ago and explained "newbie staturs" to one of their salesmen
Pieter, requesting to test drive 3 different cars, so I could get the feel
of them. I drove a 3.0L colt rodeo petrol, an Isuzu frontier and a 2.4L
Hardbody diesel. I did not find the Nissan powerful enough, and it
shuddered on the road, nor did I like the Isuzu -it was noisy and old. The
2003 3L Colt Petrol was great, but I since I want to use the vehicle for
off-road, I wanted to test drive the diesel version first to compare torque
at low revs. I also wanted to drive a more powerful hardbody, to give
Nissan a fair judgment. Jurie Swart didn't have these vehicles in stock, so
I told Pieter I would return in a few weeks. I returned today, 3 weeks
later, and received the rudest service from Pieter ever.

Today, I took time off work, drove though to Jurie Swart with a friend, to
see if you had anything new. There were 2 colt 2.8 turbo diesels -exactly
what I wanted to try! I asked Pieter if I could test drive them and maybe
one other vehicle (I wanted to see if they had a Hardbody in stock, one with
a larger engine size than previously). Pieter rudely told me I could only
test them IF I was going to buy one this time. I told him that I couldn't
give him that guarantee, but that I would probably buy in the next one or
two weeks, once I was sure what I wanted. His answer was that in that case I
could not testdrive any vehicles! I thought he was joking. I asked him if he
was being serious. He said that he was not joking and that he was being
serious. I could NOT test drive the vehicles. My friend politely told him
that this was bad service and that maybe we should take our money elsewhere.
He told us to go do that then, turned his back and walked off.

Needless to say, we left, went round the corner and saw a Charl Smit and
Engelie Haupt at Mitsubishi motors, from whom I received excellent service
and from whom I shall probably be purchasing my first 4x4.

4x4 dealerships need to realise that first-time buyers are on a major
learning curve. To us, its not like buying any other car. There are a lot
of new concepts we need to get our mind around, and vehicles we need to
test. To reveive such intimidating and rude service is unacceptable.
Dealerships who want a sustained competitive advantage over others need to
offer kind, helpful and patient service to newbie buyers.

Brent Murphy

Old March 11th 04, 08:48 PM
Fox Chase

want some cheese w that WHINE?!

Old March 11th 04, 08:48 PM
Fox Chase

want some cheese w that WHINE?!

Old March 11th 04, 09:34 PM
xyzzy

Your Friend Pieter Feeds his family with sales,
He obviously spent time with you before test driving the first batch of
cars, and went home to wife and family saying - No sale today dear - Maybe
next week"
This week you come back wanting to test a new batch - Pieter may have been
rude, but his refusal to let you test the cars is understandable, you
obviously are not ready to buy, and test driving with you m,ay actually take
him away from a Buying Customer waiting in the lobby. Perhaps if Salesmen
earned $100 (US) for each test drive it would be different, but you
mentioned taking the day off work for this as if losing a days pay was
important to you, well think about it, losing a days pay is also important
to Pieter. Pieter isn't paid to take you on a ride. And after you test all
the cars and decide which one you want, you will probably sit down with the
salesman and insist on the lowest price, even threatening to go to a lower
priced dealer down the street who never had to spend any of his own time
letting you joyride.

Think about the other guy for a minute - Would you want to take a
refridgerator home to see how it looks for free. At least offer Pieter $50
(US) to take his wife to dinner when he explains he spent all day with you
again, and didn't make a dime.

Old March 11th 04, 09:34 PM
xyzzy

Old March 11th 04, 10:53 PM
Matt Mead

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:34:10 -0700, "xyzzy" > wrote:

>Your Friend Pieter Feeds his family with sales,
>He obviously spent time with you before test driving the first batch of
>cars, and went home to wife and family saying - No sale today dear - Maybe
>next week"
>This week you come back wanting to test a new batch - Pieter may have been
>rude, but his refusal to let you test the cars is understandable, you
>obviously are not ready to buy, and test driving with you m,ay actually take
>him away from a Buying Customer waiting in the lobby. Perhaps if Salesmen
>earned $100 (US) for each test drive it would be different, but you
>mentioned taking the day off work for this as if losing a days pay was
>important to you, well think about it, losing a days pay is also important
>to Pieter. Pieter isn't paid to take you on a ride. And after you test all
>the cars and decide which one you want, you will probably sit down with the
>salesman and insist on the lowest price, even threatening to go to a lower
>priced dealer down the street who never had to spend any of his own time
>letting you joyride.
>
>Think about the other guy for a minute - Would you want to take a
>refridgerator home to see how it looks for free. At least offer Pieter $50
>(US) to take his wife to dinner when he explains he spent all day with you
>again, and didn't make a dime.

While I agree that Petey may not have made a sale on the first day or
the second, his job as a salesman is to sell cars for this dealership,
period. While a saleman loves the quick sale, realistically, a buyer
is going to make more than one trip to the dealership and a GOOD
salesman will accomodate this. There is absolutely no excuse for him
to be rude.

Now, the original poster is also telling us the tale he wants us to
hear. We don't really know how he treated Petey or how big of a pain
in the butt he (the poster) was during the process. If he was
friendly and told Petey up front the whole situation, then he
shouldn't have received the treatment he did upon returning.

While Petey may only be concerned about HIS sale, his management might
feel a little different. Not only has Petey lost a sale, but he has
lost himself and the dealership future sales from the poster and
referrels he may have made. The dealership also potentially lost
service work and even accessory sales. Bottom line, this is not the
way a professional salesman works.

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Old March 11th 04, 10:53 PM
Matt Mead

Old March 12th 04, 12:23 AM
The Ancient One

"Matt Mead" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:34:10 -0700, "xyzzy" > wrote:
>
> >Your Friend Pieter Feeds his family with sales,
> >He obviously spent time with you before test driving the first batch of
> >cars, and went home to wife and family saying - No sale today dear -

Maybe
> >next week"
> >This week you come back wanting to test a new batch - Pieter may have

been
> >rude, but his refusal to let you test the cars is understandable, you
> >obviously are not ready to buy, and test driving with you m,ay actually

take
> >him away from a Buying Customer waiting in the lobby. Perhaps if Salesmen
> >earned $100 (US) for each test drive it would be different, but you
> >mentioned taking the day off work for this as if losing a days pay was
> >important to you, well think about it, losing a days pay is also

important
> >to Pieter. Pieter isn't paid to take you on a ride. And after you test

all
> >the cars and decide which one you want, you will probably sit down with

the
> >salesman and insist on the lowest price, even threatening to go to a

lower
> >priced dealer down the street who never had to spend any of his own time
> >letting you joyride.
> >
> >Think about the other guy for a minute - Would you want to take a
> >refridgerator home to see how it looks for free. At least offer Pieter

$50
> >(US) to take his wife to dinner when he explains he spent all day with

you
> >again, and didn't make a dime.

> While I agree that Petey may not have made a sale on the first day or
> the second, his job as a salesman is to sell cars for this dealership,
> period. While a saleman loves the quick sale, realistically, a buyer
> is going to make more than one trip to the dealership and a GOOD
> salesman will accomodate this. There is absolutely no excuse for him
> to be rude.
>
> Now, the original poster is also telling us the tale he wants us to
> hear. We don't really know how he treated Petey or how big of a pain
> in the butt he (the poster) was during the process. If he was
> friendly and told Petey up front the whole situation, then he
> shouldn't have received the treatment he did upon returning.
>
> While Petey may only be concerned about HIS sale, his management might
> feel a little different. Not only has Petey lost a sale, but he has
> lost himself and the dealership future sales from the poster and
> referrels he may have made. The dealership also potentially lost
> service work and even accessory sales. Bottom line, this is not the
> way a professional salesman works.
>
> Matt
> 99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

Well, this was in Capetown South Africa, Petys behavior may be the norm over
there, how would we know?

Old March 12th 04, 12:23 AM
The Ancient One

Old March 12th 04, 08:24 AM
Brent Murphy

Hey Foxy, the internet wouldn't be quite the same without us whiners, now
would it?
Because I'm feeling so glum about the situation, maybe it should be some
BLUE cheese?