Cant shift to 4x4 drive

Old January 10th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Cant shift to 4x4 drive

I have a 92 jeep wrangler and am not able to shift it into four wheel drive.
The linkage is all good and it shifts good. Also the 4x4 light is always on
even when not in four. So i looked at the senor and took off the cover where
the fork and the bearing cupler is (THe spot where u can see 4 wheel drive
locking in) I can move the couple over by hand and 4 wheel drive will work
then but so i was thinking that the fork wont move it over by its selve. I
looked at all the vacuum hoses and I bought a new Vacuum diaphram thinking it
was just low vacuum but that didnt help either.

Old January 10th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You describe a common problem on YJ's. Did you also check the vacuum line
going to the transfer case?

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...60&Main=828553
http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/d30.html

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old January 10th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I had a trail buddy with a CJ7 that used to think it was funny to pull off
the vacume line that attached to the diaphram on the front axle of my YJ
when I wasn't looking. It never failed, he always waited until right before
we hit a steep incline.

Scott
91YJ

Old January 10th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I am thinking you are talking about the front axle disconnect?

That would mean you need to open it back up and apply vacuum direct to
the shift motor to see if the fork moves. It is possible the diaphragm
is torn inside the unit.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 10th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Watch your friends, and your enemies will never bother you.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/