NuFinish

Old April 28th 05, 10:13 AM
Vernon Balbert

Default NuFinish

I just saw a commercial for NuFinish car polish. I've been seeing
commercials for this since I was a kid and am wondering if its claims
are even close to truth. Seven bucks (list price) seems to be a good
deal for something that is as good as it claims to be. I'm just curious
if anybody has tried it and what thoughts there are about it.

Vern
Old April 29th 05, 12:43 AM
JimV

Vernon Balbert wrote:
> I just saw a commercial for NuFinish car polish. I've been seeing
> commercials for this since I was a kid and am wondering if its claims
> are even close to truth. Seven bucks (list price) seems to be a good
> deal for something that is as good as it claims to be. I'm just curious
> if anybody has tried it and what thoughts there are about it.
>
> Vern

I've been using it for years and am happy with it. Consumer reports
named it a best buy a few years ago.
Old April 29th 05, 02:57 AM
marlinspike

You been using it on german paints? IMHO it's junk, and on german
paints not only is it junk but it's so bad you'll go back and strip it
and put some proper wax on it. Let's put it this way, my dad has a
bottle of it in his garage he bought in the 70's. He used it once, then
threw it back behind all the stuff he actually uses. Everything I've
read about its use on German paints indicates that it leads to
cloudiness.

Old April 29th 05, 03:10 AM
JimV

marlinspike wrote:
> You been using it on german paints? IMHO it's junk, and on german
> paints not only is it junk but it's so bad you'll go back and strip it
> and put some proper wax on it. Let's put it this way, my dad has a
> bottle of it in his garage he bought in the 70's. He used it once, then
> threw it back behind all the stuff he actually uses. Everything I've
> read about its use on German paints indicates that it leads to
> cloudiness.

And what do you think is so special about "german" top coats? It works
fine for me. Your mileage may vary. :-)
Old April 29th 05, 08:27 AM
Pete

"marlinspike" wrote
> Let's put it this way, my dad has a
> bottle of it in his garage he bought in the 70's.

So, it's not possible that in 30 years NuFinish has changed its formulation?
That's like saying, "I bought a Honda econobox in the '70s, it sucked.
Honda sucks forever."*

But I did try NuFinish on a Nissan about 10 years ago, and I wasn't
impressed either. Not sure if the current NuFinish is any better. On my A4
I've been using Zaino for a few years now and am very happy with the results
as well as durability.

Cheers,

Pete

* Actually, compared to a fine German car, Honda still sucks, but not as
badly as those from the '70s.

Old April 29th 05, 08:37 AM
marlinspike

Well, nobody has ever found the difference, though some suspect its
those very same ingredients that make the german paints (mostly made by
glasurit) illegal in the US (the finished product can be shipped here,
but the paint can neither be made nor applied here). It's not just
nufinish that clouds german paints, but any polymer based product.

Old April 29th 05, 08:38 AM
marlinspike

Compare a new honda to a 1970's Mercedes or BMW and you'll see that
Honda still sucks big time. I don't put my money in companies that
don't care about their product.

Old April 29th 05, 09:11 AM
Pete

"marlinspike" wrote
> It's not just
> nufinish that clouds german paints, but any polymer based product.

Zaino Z2 is a polymer sealant. I have never heard of anyone having issues
with it clouding the paint, including myself.

Pete

Old April 29th 05, 02:52 PM
marlinspike

You bring up a good point about the Zaino as I've never heard a
complaint about them, but I have heard complaints about almost every
other polymer product. Ignoring the polymer issue, I think there are
two rules with NuFinish: you get what you pay for and if it's too good
to be true, it is. NuFinish's commercials make it look like a wonder
product, therefore it's garbage much like gs27. Also, it's $7...how
good can it be? There's no such thing as a miracle product with wax,
everything has trade-offs. I say if you're parking inside use P21S if
you're parking outside use one grand blitz wax.

Old April 29th 05, 04:00 PM
spare-me-spam

I can't WAIT to hear you explain how "secret ingredient German paint "
is applied to the Spartanburg built cars.

ups.com...