generator light coming on

Old February 8th 05, 11:29 PM
J Hill

Default generator light coming on

i really hope someone can help coz im in a bit of a pickle. a few days ago
my generator light flashed on for a bit whilst driving, i turned engine off,
then back on again and all was fine. However starting has been getting more
difficult and today whilst driving it came on again, my lights dimmed, and
car stopped. I put a new battery in the car, hoping this would get me home
and it did, but generator light is still on- am i right in thinking that my
generator is stuffed- if it is how long can i drive the car before the
battery fails on me as im staying about 40 miles (on motorway) away from
home and tools!!!! the battery is brand new so is this likely to get me
home? would it be better if i drive in day etc so as no lights on?

Old February 8th 05, 11:55 PM
Randall Brink

"J Hill" > wrote in message
>i really hope someone can help coz im in a bit of a pickle. a few days ago
>my generator light flashed on for a bit whilst driving, i turned engine
>off, then back on again and all was fine. However starting has been getting
>more difficult and today whilst driving it came on again, my lights dimmed,
>and car stopped. I put a new battery in the car, hoping this would get me
>home and it did, but generator light is still on- am i right in thinking
>that my generator is stuffed- if it is how long can i drive the car before
>the battery fails on me as im staying about 40 miles (on motorway) away
>from home and tools!!!! the battery is brand new so is this likely to get
>me home? would it be better if i drive in day etc so as no lights on?

I had the same thing happen and my generator was bad. You might make it 40
km in the daytime, but maybe not.

Check your brushes first and see if they're worn out. If they are, replacing
them is no big task. If that's not it, you're probablyh looking at a
generator or alternator conversion. Or rebuild the generator.

Know that non-Bosch generators are generally junk. Conversion to alternator
is about the same price as a new (or even rebuilt Bosch) generator, is a
better system, internally regulated, etc.

Old February 9th 05, 12:28 AM
J Hill

as i said i am without tools at the moment because i am away from home, is
ti possible to check and/or change the bushes with my relatively minimal
knowledge of dynamos and only basic tools, how would i go about it and what
will i need. Thanks v. much for your help so far.

Old February 9th 05, 12:38 AM
Randall Brink

With luck and adequate lighting, you should be able to change them with a
screwdriver.

Look at them first to see if they are obviously worn down--if they are, then
it's worth the trouble to change them and try to restore your gen. output.
If they're not, I'd bet they're not your problem (although a dirty armature
could also be the problem, and can be cleaned with a little fine sandpaper.)

Ease the clip off the brush, unscrew the fastener at the end of the copper
braided wire, fasten the wire for the new brush on, push it in and ease the
clip over it--face of the brush down toward armature. There are two of them
inside the open access bays of the generator.

It is always a good idea to have a Bentley or John Muir ("How to Keep Your
Volkswagen Alive") manual in the Bug's bonnet when out of site of your shop.
All this is explained in much more thorough and better detail in those
manuals.

Old February 9th 05, 12:44 AM

The fan belt is okay, right?

Then examine your brushes and the commutator.

If the brushes are worn byond limit they may be replaced without
dismounting the generator. A couple of locally fabricated tools to
hold the springs out of the way makes the job a snap or you can follow
the procedure in the workshop manual (ie, not the owners manual).

Whatever you do, IGNORE John Muir's famous sandpaper-on-a-stick trick.
This was jus' swell for a Model A Ford but will cost you a generator on
a Volkswagen. If the commutator needs to be turned & the mica's cut,
you'll have to dismount the generator. This CAN be done in the vehicle
if you pull the intake manifold but if you're not a mechanic (and you
aren't, since you're seeking advice here) the task will entail fewer
hazards if you pull the engine first.

-Bob Hoover

Old February 9th 05, 01:56 AM
Robert

If the brushes are worn, then you may be able to get home by placing
something like a folded matchbook cover between the brushes and the spring.
I would go for about a 1/16" thickness for both brushes. This will probably
safely get you home. Make sure you use a soft material that if it becomes
dislodged, it doesn't damage anything. - Bob

Old February 9th 05, 02:10 AM
Randall Brink

Earlier when I kept refering to the "armature" I meant "commutator". I was
writing a column at the same time, and mis-typed.

Randall Brink

Old February 9th 05, 06:29 AM
Charles Fregeau

"J Hill" > wrote in message
>i really hope someone can help coz im in a bit of a pickle. a few days ago
>my generator light flashed on for a bit whilst driving, i turned engine
>off, then back on again and all was fine. However starting has been getting
>more difficult and today whilst driving it came on again, my lights dimmed,
>and car stopped. I put a new battery in the car, hoping this would get me
>home and it did, but generator light is still on- am i right in thinking
>that my generator is stuffed- if it is how long can i drive the car before
>the battery fails on me as im staying about 40 miles (on motorway) away
>from home and tools!!!! the battery is brand new so is this likely to get
>me home? would it be better if i drive in day etc so as no lights on?

I know I've not worked on any VW's yet, but I have a question. Could the
voltage regulator be going awry? I had that happen on another car once.
Some ham-handed mechanic knocked off some capacitor that came out of the VR
and connected to the body and I couldn't get a good charge and my alternator
light kept coming on. Replaced it with a new/used part, as new parts
weren't readily available then.

Charles of Kankakee

Old February 9th 05, 02:48 PM
Charles Fregeau

"Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:29:43 -0600, "Charles Fregeau" >
> wrote:
>

>>"J Hill" > wrote in message
>>>i really hope someone can help coz im in a bit of a pickle. a few days
>>>ago
>>>my generator light flashed on for a bit whilst driving, i turned engine
>>>off, then back on again and all was fine. However starting has been
>>>getting
>>>more difficult and today whilst driving it came on again, my lights
>>>dimmed,
>>>and car stopped. I put a new battery in the car, hoping this would get me
>>>home and it did, but generator light is still on- am i right in thinking
>>>that my generator is stuffed- if it is how long can i drive the car
>>>before
>>>the battery fails on me as im staying about 40 miles (on motorway) away
>>>from home and tools!!!! the battery is brand new so is this likely to get
>>>me home? would it be better if i drive in day etc so as no lights on?
>>>

>>I know I've not worked on any VW's yet, but I have a question. Could the
>>voltage regulator be going awry? I had that happen on another car once.
>>Some ham-handed mechanic knocked off some capacitor that came out of the
>>VR
>>and connected to the body and I couldn't get a good charge and my
>>alternator
>>light kept coming on. Replaced it with a new/used part, as new parts
>>weren't readily available then.
>>
>>Charles of Kankakee

> I don't recall if I was getting a generator light or if the battery was
> just dead or what but one time I was having a problem and it ended up
> being a grain of sand stuck in between the contact points inside my
> voltage regulator. Cleaned it out of there and it is still working fine
> 20 years later.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> 1970 VW Beetle "Millennium Sparrow"

My point. At least it bears checking. It can effect things.

Charles of Kankakee

Old February 10th 05, 03:23 PM
J Hill

thanks for all help so far- have looked at bushes and they look to be worn
down quite low, and the regulator is making alot of popping and clicking
noises- is this normal- im no expert but my guess would be from the sounds
of it that this is to blame. it doesn't appear to be a servicable part as
its sealed shut so i guess ill try and get a new one. cheers again, i hope i
make it home this weekend