330ci : Brake disc needs replacement after 10,000 km ?!

Old January 15th 08, 12:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Klaus T.

Default 330ci : Brake disc needs replacement after 10,000 km ?!

Hi Folks,

a BMT 330ci is in the workshop - they called and want to replace the
brake discs after less than 10000km. It is about 18 months old.

The car has been used occasionally within the city for short rides.
Waiting for days for the next usage, it is clear that the discs start
to corrode after some days. But can this mean that you have to replace
them that early ?!

I guess this is not a BMW-specific topic - except if they used the
wrong material...

Any technical hints are welcome - thanks in advance!
Klaus.
Old January 15th 08, 01:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Klaus T. > wrote:
> Hi Folks,

> a BMT 330ci is in the workshop - they called and want to replace the
> brake discs after less than 10000km. It is about 18 months old.

> The car has been used occasionally within the city for short rides.
> Waiting for days for the next usage, it is clear that the discs start
> to corrode after some days. But can this mean that you have to replace
> them that early ?!

No. Any corrosion like this is simply rubbed off when you use the brakes.

> I guess this is not a BMW-specific topic - except if they used the
> wrong material...

> Any technical hints are welcome - thanks in advance!

It's I'd say near unique that the discs need changing at such a low
mileage. 30-40,000 miles is more like it. Usually at the second pad
change. The minimum thickness is stamped on the disc hub. Might be worth
getting an independent expert to measure them if you can't do this
yourself.

--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 15th 08, 02:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

On Jan 15, 1:15*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:
> In article >,
> * *Klaus T. > wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> > a BMT 330ci is in the workshop - they called and want to replace the
> > brake discs after less than 10000km. It is about 18 months old.
> > The car has been used occasionally within the city for short rides.
> > Waiting for days for the next usage, it is clear that the discs start
> > to corrode after some days. But can this mean that you have to replace
> > them that early ?!

> No. Any corrosion like this is simply rubbed off when you use the brakes.
>
> > I guess this is not a BMW-specific topic - except if they used the
> > wrong material...
> > Any technical hints are welcome - thanks in advance!

> It's I'd say near unique that the discs need changing at such a low
> mileage. 30-40,000 miles is more like it. Usually at the second pad
> change. The minimum thickness is stamped on the disc hub. Might be worth
> getting an independent expert to measure them if you can't do this
> yourself.

I've done about 15k on mine and they're getting towards needing
replacement but that is over about 3 or four years. Possibly they're
worn enough that they're suggesting that you might want to replace
them while they have it instead of the "inconvenience" of takign it
back in a year's time.
Old January 15th 08, 06:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"Klaus T." wrote
> a BMT 330ci is in the workshop - they called and want to replace the
> brake discs after less than 10000km. It is about 18 months old.
>
> The car has been used occasionally within the city for short rides.

Unless someone drove it really hard (brake hard) or took it to the track, it
seems very strange that the discs would need replacing already. I have a
530i which is probably somewhat heavier than your 330ci, and I got new discs
after 44k miles (5 years). They were still usable though, but the would not
last through another set of pads, so I went ahead and got them done at that
point.

Like others suggested, go to another shop for a second opinion or have the
disc thickness measured.

> Waiting for days for the next usage, it is clear that the discs start
> to corrode after some days. But can this mean that you have to replace
> them that early ?!

You'll see little surface rust as quickly as an hour after you wash the car.
That is not a reason to replace the discs. That's normal and will go away
as soon as you apply brakes.

Pete

Old January 15th 08, 07:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ali[_3_]

It sounds like they want to replace them because they are corroded. Not
because they are worn, cracked, etc.

So, do you experience brake judder, any abnormal braking, etc? If not, I
would personally leave them on there.

Old January 15th 08, 07:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ali[_3_]

No. Depends how excessive it is. Overnight rust, OK, but this is not
always the case. Even with left foot braking on a dual carriageway, if they
are that badly corroded, replacement is the only way to overcome it. You'll
also find the pads have worn funny too.

Old January 15th 08, 09:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jack[_13_]

"Klaus T." > wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> a BMT 330ci is in the workshop - they called and want to replace the
> brake discs after less than 10000km. It is about 18 months old.
>
> The car has been used occasionally within the city for short rides.
> Waiting for days for the next usage, it is clear that the discs start
> to corrode after some days. But can this mean that you have to replace
> them that early ?!
>
> I guess this is not a BMW-specific topic - except if they used the
> wrong material...
>
> Any technical hints are welcome - thanks in advance!
> Klaus.

Just say NO. You'd have to live on top of a mountain to wear the brakes out
in this mileage.
Perhaps they could explain further why they feel the discs need replacing.
Light surface corrosion does not accelerate disc wear.

Old January 16th 08, 03:21 PM posted to uk.people.support.depression,alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"Ali" > wrote
> circumstances, excepting such as are analogous to the
> extraordinary degree of it before described. And God's people who were
> formerly converted have now partaken of the same shower of divine
> blessing-in the renewing,

WTF???

Old January 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ali[_3_]

You made it up, so why are you saying WTF???

Old January 16th 08, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Not Me[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:33:56 -0000, "Ali" > wrote:

>You made it up, so why are you saying WTF???
>

>"Pete" > wrote in message
>
>> "Ali" > wrote
>>> circumstances, excepting such as are analogous to the
>>> extraordinary degree of it before described. And God's people who were
>>> formerly converted have now partaken of the same shower of divine
>>> blessing-in the renewing,

>> WTF???

In the interest of promoting harmony, understand that there is
currently an outbreak of thread-hijacking spammers operating on
Usenet, and one of them apparently hijacked 'Ali' in this thread. Not
all news servers will propagate the hijacked thread - evidently Pete's
did and yours didn't. Pete saw the hijacked thread and didn't know
about the hijacking spammers, hence his "WTF." There's no reason to
take anything personally over this.

disc brake q. A Veteran VW air cooled 2 October 10th 07 10:44 AM
2005 T&C Front Disc Brake Replacement, glue? Chrysler 2 February 10th 07 03:31 PM
2001 330CI BRAKE INDICATOR [email protected][_1_] BMW 3 October 10th 06 12:30 AM
2002 Explorer 6 disc cd replacement? Bob Ford Explorer 3 January 29th 06 12:50 AM
Disc Brake Kit RhinoJockey VW air cooled 3 November 12th 04 04:31 PM