Losing Electric Power and triggering sensor lights

Old July 26th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
ezekiell

Default Losing Electric Power and triggering sensor lights

I have a 97 SC2, when trying to run the car, the lights start to go dim as
if the alternator doesn't work. But before that, my battery light stays
on, then the airbag light comes one, then my dashboard needles die. And
other sensor lights do weird things. Then the engine tries to stall. Is
this just an alternator issue or do I have a bigger problem at hand. Also
should note that the battery is new from 4 months ago.

Old July 26th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

If you have already checked the obvious, I would have your computer checked
for codes, it could be on it's way out.

--
marx404

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 26th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Sounds like either the alternator, battery (yes, a 4-month old battery can
still go bad), battery connections are dirty, cables are bad, or the
computer. You'll need a good voltmeter to determine the battery condition.
Measure voltage at the terminals before starting (should be 12.5V) and again
after the engine is running at idle (s/b ~14-14.5V).

If the voltage is not above 12V, then it can cause strange behavior.

Bob

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 27th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

Also keep in mind a bad battery will kill a good alternator, and a bad
alternator will kill a good battery. The last battery could have been
well past its prime and already damaged the alt.

In article > ,
says...

Old August 14th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)[_72_]

"ezekiell" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I have a 97 SC2, when trying to run the car, the lights start to go dim as
> if the alternator doesn't work. But before that, my battery light stays
> on, then the airbag light comes one, then my dashboard needles die. And
> other sensor lights do weird things. Then the engine tries to stall. Is
> this just an alternator issue or do I have a bigger problem at hand. Also
> should note that the battery is new from 4 months ago.

I had the same thing happen on my SC2, 1997. Replace your alternator before
you end up like me - running on a battery in the rain 5 miles home.

99 caravan losing power on turns Doug B. Dodge 4 April 27th 07 12:21 PM
M5 LOSING POWER RMW BMW 2 March 5th 06 03:13 PM
TPMS tire inflation sensor triggering and diagnostics tool cszasz Technology 1 January 31st 06 02:39 AM
91 lebaron losing power SMIDGE1 Chrysler 1 June 27th 05 11:09 PM
losing power in fifth gear mac_166 Saturn 8 October 26th 04 05:31 AM