Two questions about the BMW E46

Old April 24th 07, 01:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ikke

Default Two questions about the BMW E46

Fred W > wrote in
:

> Ikke wrote:
>
>> If I *had* a flat tire, I'd call the service department of my
>> insurance, let them sort it out and call a taxi and be on my way.

> Wow. What a feeling of complete and utter dependance you must have.
> You also must live in a city and never venture out of its confines.
> In some (many) places in the world you'd be waiting a whole lot longer
> for that taxi than it would take to throw on a spare tire.
> ...assuming you are capable of turning a lug nut.

That's one way of looking at it.

I'm perfectly capable of changing a spare, as well as maintaining the
basics of a car - but I figure since I'm already paying for the service,
why not profit from it?

Ikke
Old April 24th 07, 01:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ikke

Fred W > wrote in
:

> Ikke wrote:
>
>> If I *had* a flat tire, I'd call the service department of my
>> insurance, let them sort it out and call a taxi and be on my way.

> Wow. What a feeling of complete and utter dependance you must have.
> You also must live in a city and never venture out of its confines.
> In some (many) places in the world you'd be waiting a whole lot longer
> for that taxi than it would take to throw on a spare tire.
> ...assuming you are capable of turning a lug nut.

Oh, and before I forget it - this is Europe, you'd struggle to find a place
here where it takes a taxi more than 15 minutes to reach you

Ikke
Old April 24th 07, 01:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ikke

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Ikke > wrote:
>> Nope. But read again what I wrote: "even if I had one I wouldn't be
>> tempted to change it". I've never changed a spare in my life.

>> If I *had* a flat tire, I'd call the service department of my
>> insurance, let them sort it out and call a taxi and be on my way.

> You must have time to burn and never leave the city?

As I already replied to Fred W, this is Europe - a taxi is always nearby.
You'd struggle to find a place where a taxi is more than 15 minutes away.

So it's faster to call the taxi, not to mention cheaper. Time is money, the
taxi is free.

Ikke

Old April 24th 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Ikke > wrote:
> > You must have time to burn and never leave the city?

> As I already replied to Fred W, this is Europe - a taxi is always
> nearby. You'd struggle to find a place where a taxi is more than 15
> minutes away.

Well I live in Europe and can think of plenty of places where a taxi is
more than 15 minutes away. ;-)

> So it's faster to call the taxi, not to mention cheaper. Time is money,
> the taxi is free.

But the insurance you pay for such a scheme costly? Personally I don't
bother with even breakdown/recovery. And on the whole have saved money
during the course of BMW ownership. Although my recent suspension collapse
involved both changing a wheel and then calling out a breakdown when I saw
what the problem was - and getting a taxi. ;-)

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old April 24th 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ikke

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in
:

<snip>
> But the insurance you pay for such a scheme costly? Personally I don't
> bother with even breakdown/recovery. And on the whole have saved money
> during the course of BMW ownership. Although my recent suspension
> collapse involved both changing a wheel and then calling out a
> breakdown when I saw what the problem was - and getting a taxi. ;-)

The insurance is indeed very costly (at 8 years, I will have paid the car
twice), but that doesn't matter.

I won't go into details, but it all boils down to this: even if I destroy
my car myself, I get a new one. Instantly.

Which is nice to know

Ikke
Old April 24th 07, 10:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

Ikke wrote:

> The insurance is indeed very costly (at 8 years, I will have paid the car
> twice), but that doesn't matter.
>
> I won't go into details, but it all boils down to this: even if I destroy
> my car myself, I get a new one. Instantly.
>
> Which is nice to know

<thread hijack in progress>

Which requires one to ask, how many times have you totaled one of your cars?

OK, maybe you don't have many cars, or haven't been a car owner all that
long. So lets extend that question to: How many members of you family
have totaled their cars.

And how many years have you been paying those exhorbitant insurance
rates that will reimburse you for your totaled car (minus the deductible
mind you)?

Auto Insurance is one of the biggest scams perpetrated on the general
public of all times. And the kicker is, if you have a lien of any kind
on the car your are *forced* to carry coverage by the lienholder.

This is one big reason that I never buy my cars on time (I pay cash
only) and generally don't buy new ones.

--
-Fred W
Old April 24th 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ikke

Fred W > wrote in
:

> Ikke wrote:
>
>> The insurance is indeed very costly (at 8 years, I will have paid the
>> car twice), but that doesn't matter.
>>
>> I won't go into details, but it all boils down to this: even if I
>> destroy my car myself, I get a new one. Instantly.
>>
>> Which is nice to know

> <thread hijack in progress>
>
> Which requires one to ask, how many times have you totaled one of your
> cars?

I'm almost 30, have never totaled a car, and I have never caused an
accident. Perfect driving record.

This car has had one scratch so far, and three minor dings because some
(insert swear word) banged it on the parking lot.

> OK, maybe you don't have many cars, or haven't been a car owner all
> that long. So lets extend that question to: How many members of you
> family have totaled their cars.

I've been a car owner for about 8 years, this car I've had for 4 years.
One car only, by the way.

My parents have never had an accident. I don't have any brothers, nor
sisters.

> And how many years have you been paying those exhorbitant insurance
> rates that will reimburse you for your totaled car (minus the
> deductible mind you)?

Before I was 25, I payed double that. Since 25, this amount.

Please note that my car insurance does NOT have a deductible - hence the
high amount. In the contract, there is an extra clausule which ensures me
that the car will be replaced without cost. That means that I get the
exact amount I paid for the car, including the registration fee.

Which unfortunately means that I'm a bit screwed since the E92 came out,
since it's a bit more expensive

> Auto Insurance is one of the biggest scams perpetrated on the general
> public of all times. And the kicker is, if you have a lien of any
> kind on the car your are *forced* to carry coverage by the lienholder.

Auto insurance is required by law here - so I figured I'd just get the
highest coverage available. This includes a full omnium, no deductible,
and (don't know how to say it in english) full court expenses.

The reason I'm a big fan of that latter part, is that you can't loose
your license, whatever prank you pull on the road. Get cought? Send in
your team of lawyers (all expenses paid), and get off with a fine.

I'm not a native english speaker, I'm afraid I don't understand what you
mean by that last sentence.

> This is one big reason that I never buy my cars on time (I pay cash
> only) and generally don't buy new ones.

I'm a bit different: all cars I've bought were paid cash as well (I never
loan money, except for houses), and I always buy new cars.

Ikke

99 GT Questions Brian C Ford Mustang 2 April 25th 06 03:42 AM
Considering a BMW - A Few Questions BRH BMW 109 January 5th 06 10:00 PM
A few Odd questions [email protected] VW air cooled 12 July 13th 05 05:20 AM
Three Questions.. Eric Honda 2 March 22nd 05 05:01 AM
C5 Questions Larry Wallerstein Corvette 24 August 31st 04 09:09 AM