ZAP! ION is an electrifying experience

Old July 31st 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default ZAP! ION is an electrifying experience

My '07 ION (and others I have tried) are an electrifying experience. If one
doesn't ground themselves out (by touching something metal and the ground at
the same time) before getting out of the car, ZAP! you get electrostatic
shock.
I'm worried about blowing up a gas station or shorting out something
electric, say like my MP3 player or someone's pacemaker, lol or worse
blowing up a gas station pump.

Any ideas of how to discharge this static build up or is this just part of
ION's charm?

--
marx404

Old August 1st 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

to requote myself "before getting out of the car" - ergo, putting the key
into the keyhole when I'm still in the car would be a lovely feat but none
too useful. Its only on exit....

It's when I have exited the car, I have basically isolated the static build
up to the seats. I exit the car and whatever I touch the first time out,
ZAP! Just like said in the first paragraph in the OP.

I get out of the car and if I don't ground on the frame 1st, anything I
touch gets ZAPped! Much fun if my little brother is nearby, not much fun
when it's me getting zapped.

--
marx404

Old August 1st 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Maybe it's you electrifying personality!

Actually, this happens to me and it doesn't matter if it's my '06 Vue or my
F150 Lariat (my baby), but really for the most part it doesn't happen to me
really except for the winter, when the air is drier around the NE. Anyway,
get into the habit after you open the door of the car to grab/touch the
roof/upper door frame as you exit....

IYM

Old August 3rd 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
D&SW

Periodically spray your seats with ClineFree or faric softener mixed with
water.
Hold on to the metal door frame as you slide out of the seat.

Old August 6th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Talkin Horse[_2_]

"marx404" > wrote in message
> to requote myself "before getting out of the car" - ergo, putting the key
> into the keyhole when I'm still in the car would be a lovely feat but none
> too useful. Its only on exit....
>
> It's when I have exited the car, I have basically isolated the static
> build up to the seats. I exit the car and whatever I touch the first time
> out, ZAP! Just like said in the first paragraph in the OP.
>
> I get out of the car and if I don't ground on the frame 1st, anything I
> touch gets ZAPped! Much fun if my little brother is nearby, not much fun
> when it's me getting zapped.

Make a habit of wetting your pants before you exit the car. The electrolytes
in the urine will improve regional conductivity, thus distributing the
charge so there's no single painful hot spot.

Alternatively, prior to getting into the driver's seat, remove your tinfoil
hat and use it for a seat cushion. Remember to ground it before putting it
back on your head.

Hope this helps.

Old August 14th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)[_70_]

"marx404" > wrote in message
> My '07 ION (and others I have tried) are an electrifying experience. If
> one doesn't ground themselves out (by touching something metal and the
> ground at the same time) before getting out of the car, ZAP! you get
> electrostatic shock.
> I'm worried about blowing up a gas station or shorting out something
> electric, say like my MP3 player or someone's pacemaker, lol or worse
> blowing up a gas station pump.
>
> Any ideas of how to discharge this static build up or is this just part of
> ION's charm?
>

> --
> marx404

Don't wear cotton?

Old August 14th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

"HyperCube33 (Life2Death)" > wrote in message

> "marx404" > wrote in message
>> My '07 ION (and others I have tried) are an electrifying experience. If
>> one doesn't ground themselves out (by touching something metal and the
>> ground at the same time) before getting out of the car, ZAP! you get
>> electrostatic shock.
>> I'm worried about blowing up a gas station or shorting out something
>> electric, say like my MP3 player or someone's pacemaker, lol or worse
>> blowing up a gas station pump.
>>
>> Any ideas of how to discharge this static build up or is this just part
>> of ION's charm?
>>

>> --
>> marx404
>>

> Don't wear cotton?

I get it all the time regardless of what I'm wearing and when the humidity
is less than 70% on my lw300. It's gotten to the point where I grab metal
and hold on before sliding out of the driver's seat. Either that or get out
and slap the door frame to drain the static electicity.

When I get gas, I make it a practice to hold the fuel nozzle (by the handle)
in one hand and then touch metal on the car. So far, there is never a spark
but I don't take chances of making the electrical connection by placing the
nozzle directly in the fuel fill where vapors exist. Remember that it's
getting harder and harder to find a metal ground point on cars now that so
much of the body is plastic.

Tired rubbing a dryer sheet on the seats to reduce the static electicity and
it did help somewhat.

My E85 Experience dicko Ford Explorer 4 September 10th 06 04:16 PM
Not The Best Experience teem Saturn 2 June 17th 06 08:38 PM
Electrifying Performance [email protected] Ford Mustang 3 May 10th 06 09:39 PM
How Much Driving Experience? Dave Head Driving 38 April 22nd 05 10:47 PM
My CarChex experience GRL BMW 3 March 17th 05 12:20 AM