'96 SL Cooling Fan Not Working

Old July 30th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Dooger

Default '96 SL Cooling Fan Not Working

I looked around for the sensor and/or relays that might control the fan
but didn't find anything in a short look. I don't have a repair or
service manual for this car. Can anyone point me to where to look for the
"stuff" that makes the fan work. Later I'll test the fan itself to see if
it it faulty. I have a '97 parts car that may have a good fan and most
likely wil have the controlls still good. That car was wrecked in the
left front and I haven't had a chance to see if the fan survived the crash
or not. Anyone know if the '97 parts will work on the '96 car?

Best, wes

Old July 31st 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

I believe the gauge of a '96 gets the signal from the PCM, not a
seperate sensor. If that is correct, then the PCM should be getting
the correct information from the coolant sensor. Does the fan run when
you turn on the A/C? If not, you may have a bad fan motor, relay, or
wiring.

Sorry I don't have much information on a '96. I own a '92.

Good Luck, James

Old July 31st 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Dooger

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:51:31 -0400, James1549 >
wrote:

> I believe the gauge of a '96 gets the signal from the PCM, not a
> seperate sensor. If that is correct, then the PCM should be getting
> the correct information from the coolant sensor. Does the fan run when
> you turn on the A/C? If not, you may have a bad fan motor, relay, or
> wiring.
>
> Sorry I don't have much information on a '96. I own a '92.
>
> Good Luck, James

Thanks James. That may be helpful.

Tomorrow I'll put a meter on the leads to the fan motor and see if it's
getting current when it should and go from there. I didn't have the car
here earlier today to start troubleshooting the problem. I'd still be
open to hearing about where the relay and any other related components
might be located.

Best, wes

Old August 6th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Aug 1, 5:17 am, Dooger > wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:22:24 -0400, BläBlä
>

> . s!rcre4p.c0m> wrote:
> > In article >,
> > says...

> >> Thanks James. That may be helpful.

> >> Tomorrow I'll put a meter on the leads to the fan motor and see if it's
> >> getting current when it should and go from there. I didn't have the car
> >> here earlier today to start troubleshooting the problem. I'd still be
> >> open to hearing about where the relay and any other related components
> >> might be located.

> >> Best, wes

> > Inspect Underhood junction block, Cooling Fan Relay and a 30a fuse. The
> > cover should be labeled.

> Great, thanks. That helps a bunch.
>
> Best, wes- Hide quoted text -

I've got a similar problem, except the 30a fuse keeps blowing! Any
ideas?

thanks

Old August 6th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> On Aug 1, 5:17 am, Dooger > wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:22:24 -0400, Bl?Bl?
> >

> > . s!rcre4p.c0m> wrote:
> > > In article >,
> > > says...

> > > Inspect Underhood junction block, Cooling Fan Relay and a 30a fuse. The
> > > cover should be labeled.

> > Great, thanks. That helps a bunch.
> >
> > Best, wes- Hide quoted text -

> I've got a similar problem, except the 30a fuse keeps blowing! Any
> ideas?
>
> thanks

You can buy a new fan motor for about $30. It is easy to remove the fan
assembly and replace the motor.

I bought the Haynes Repair Manual (available at Discount Auto Parts),
which tells you how to do it.