88 535i rough ride

Old July 16th 07, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Psycho

Default 88 535i rough ride

Interesting, but this is a BMW newsgroup and the topic of this
particular message was 535i rough idle...

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:45:45 -0400, "JoshIII"

Old July 17th 07, 12:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 16 Jul, 14:50, Psycho > wrote:
> Interesting, but this is a BMW newsgroup and the topic of this
> particular message was 535i rough idle...
>
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:45:45 -0400, "JoshIII"
>

> > wrote:
>
> >"R. Mark Clayton" >
> >><snip>

> >> The cargo door had a fault, which allowed it to open in flight.

> >> relatively low altitude.

> >Just the facts: The aircraft suffered an explosive decompression while
> >climbing through 11,000 feet after takeoff from Paris Orly
> >Airport. Due to a design flaw in the locking mechanism of the
> >cargo door, a ground crew member was able to force the
> >locking arm into position, while the door was not, in reality,
> >locked. Climbing into thinner air, the door was unable to
> >remain closed without the lock, and it burst open. The
> >outrush of air caused the cabin floor to collapse and
> >severe all control cables, leading to a loss of control
> >by the flight crew.- Hide quoted text -

Exactly, and they told me my car was unsafe. It is not an airplane. My
mechanic said if the frame came apart, I would have lots of warning,
like shaking and whatever.

Old July 17th 07, 10:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 16 Jul, 14:50, Psycho > wrote:
>> Interesting, but this is a BMW newsgroup and the topic of this
>> particular message was 535i rough idle...

The thread had drifted some what, although remained on the subject of
structural integrity of welded space frames

> Exactly, and they told me my car was unsafe. It is not an airplane. My
> mechanic said if the frame came apart, I would have lots of warning,
> like shaking and whatever.

Not so, any failure is most likely to occur when the car is under maximum
stress - e.g. high speed cornering, although you might be lucky - my father
had a sub-frame failure (after I had cracked it on a hump back bridge)
severing brake pipes / cables and I had a classic fatigue failure on a
bottom link (neither BMW's) both of which fortuitously occurred at low speed
in circumstances where safety was not compromised, however it is far more
likely that failure will occur as you round a fast bend.

Old July 17th 07, 11:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
stuart

> Exactly, and they told me my car was unsafe. It is not an airplane. My
> mechanic said if the frame came apart, I would have lots of warning,
> like shaking and whatever.

That's the time to use the ejector seat
Old July 17th 07, 06:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:50:09 -0400, Psycho > wrote:

>Interesting, but this is a BMW newsgroup and the topic of this
>particular message was 535i rough idle...
>
>On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:45:45 -0400, "JoshIII"
> wrote:
>

>>"R. Mark Clayton" >
>>><snip>
>>>
>>> The cargo door had a fault, which allowed it to open in flight.

>>> relatively low altitude.
>>>

>>Just the facts: The aircraft suffered an explosive decompression while
>>climbing through 11,000 feet after takeoff from Paris Orly
>>Airport. Due to a design flaw in the locking mechanism of the
>>cargo door, a ground crew member was able to force the
>>locking arm into position, while the door was not, in reality,
>>locked. Climbing into thinner air, the door was unable to
>>remain closed without the lock, and it burst open. The
>>outrush of air caused the cabin floor to collapse and
>>severe all control cables, leading to a loss of control
>>by the flight crew.

Perhaps the moral of the story is don't go too high with the doors open!
Old July 17th 07, 06:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:35:44 -0700, wrote:

>On 16 Jul, 14:50, Psycho > wrote:
>> Interesting, but this is a BMW newsgroup and the topic of this
>> particular message was 535i rough idle...
>>
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:45:45 -0400, "JoshIII"
>>

>> > wrote:
>>
>> >"R. Mark Clayton" >

>> >Just the facts: The aircraft suffered an explosive decompression while
>> >climbing through 11,000 feet after takeoff from Paris Orly
>> >Airport. Due to a design flaw in the locking mechanism of the
>> >cargo door, a ground crew member was able to force the
>> >locking arm into position, while the door was not, in reality,
>> >locked. Climbing into thinner air, the door was unable to
>> >remain closed without the lock, and it burst open. The
>> >outrush of air caused the cabin floor to collapse and
>> >severe all control cables, leading to a loss of control
>> >by the flight crew.- Hide quoted text -

>Exactly, and they told me my car was unsafe. It is not an airplane. My
>mechanic said if the frame came apart, I would have lots of warning,
>like shaking and whatever.

and the steering becoming detached from the chassis member and you heading
straight for a solid oak tree that won't bend or fall over or maybe the local
school bus stop were all the kids are waiting for a bus - go on mow them down
one might belong to you or your neighbor!

Crush the ****ing thing before it kills you
Old July 17th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 17 Jul, 05:36, "R. Mark Clayton" >
wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > On 16 Jul, 14:50, Psycho > wrote:
> >> Interesting, but this is a BMW newsgroup and the topic of this
> >> particular message was 535i rough idle...

> The thread had drifted some what, although remained on the subject of
> structural integrity of welded space frames

> > Exactly, and they told me my car was unsafe. It is not an airplane. My
> > mechanic said if the frame came apart, I would have lots of warning,
> > like shaking and whatever.

> Not so, any failure is most likely to occur when the car is under maximum
> stress - e.g. high speed cornering, although you might be lucky - my father
> had a sub-frame failure (after I had cracked it on a hump back bridge)
> severing brake pipes / cables and I had a classic fatigue failure on a
> bottom link (neither BMW's) both of which fortuitously occurred at low speed
> in circumstances where safety was not compromised, however it is far more
> likely that failure will occur as you round a fast bend.

Of course, that's not what I want to hear, as it means I will have to
part out my car. Maybe buy another of the same vintage never in an
accident and use my other for parts. Always I like to get as much
information as possible before making a decision. There should be
documentation on frame failure in old ex-collision cars, somewhere,
i.e. http://www.accidentcheck.com/. Accordingly there are millions and
millions of unsafe vehicles being driven around right now.

Rough ride on a Golf MC VW air cooled 7 October 1st 08 08:00 AM
88 535i rough ride [email protected] BMW 1 September 20th 06 03:35 AM
Rough ride on a Golf MC VW water cooled 0 August 9th 05 09:12 AM
Rough Ride In My 2001 Civic LX Coupe! [email protected] Honda 0 January 23rd 05 09:16 AM
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Rough Ride Josh 4x4 4 August 26th 04 07:26 AM