2001 change timing belt or not?

Old November 15th 04, 08:10 AM
Pete

Uzytkownik "Buying a Used Audi" wrote
>I reason I am saying driven by girl with care is that I think the way
> an engine is driven may have an effect over the suggested interval of
> timing belt change. You see if you rev the engine most of the time, it
> will make the belt do more rounds, ultimately more prone to breakage.
> You see its like, if you abuse an engine it might last for 100K
> while there are drivers that may run a similar engine for 200K?
> Does it make any sense to you guys?

Bare in mind, it's usually the tensioner that fails, not the belt itself.

As far as whether it's a good thing that the car's been driven by a girl and
serviced at regular intervals - well, this probably means the oil was only
changed every 10K miles and the oil was mineral (that's what the dealer
uses). If you have a turbo, I'd say that's a bad thing.

If you have the Audi Assured warranty up to 100K miles, then I guess you're
fine. If the TB/tensioner goes before that mileage, Audi will fix all the
damages under warranty. If you don't have Audi Assured, then you're taking
a big risk, IMO.

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 15th 04, 09:59 AM
Iain Miller

> If you have the Audi Assured warranty up to 100K miles, then I guess

you're
> fine. If the TB/tensioner goes before that mileage, Audi will fix all the
> damages under warranty. If you don't have Audi Assured, then you're

taking
> a big risk, IMO.

I thought the 10/100 warranty only applied to the original owner & that as
soon as the car changed hands it expires......(?)

rgds

I.

Old November 15th 04, 10:18 AM
Pete

"Iain Miller" wrote

> I thought the 10/100 warranty only applied to the original owner & that as
> soon as the car changed hands it expires......(?)

Well, the way it works in the US (if that's where the OP is), the original
warranty is 4 years/50K miles, and is fully transferrable to the new owner.
However, if the used car is sold as an "Audi Assured" certified vehicle by
the dealer, it comes with a 10 year/100K mile warranty to the new owner.
That's just an incentive for people scared of high repair costs to get them
to buy a used Audi. Now, a certified Audi is more expensive, and we don't
know if the OP bought one like that or not. If he bought it directly from
that girl, then it's definitely not a certified vehicle and his warranty is
long gone.

Regards,

Pete

Old November 15th 04, 02:49 PM
Steve Sears

Robert,
I agree that the style of driving may affect the _actual_ lifespan of the
belt, like, say, a belt in an engine that never sees more than 2000 rpm
(driving like my next-door neighbour, she just turned 90) versus the belt in
a modified car that is raced on the track and often sees redline (say, drag
racing like Shirley Muldowney) - but any other factors come in to play as
well - rubber ages with heat (rubber also shrinks but steel expands with
heat...go fig), and it also does not like to be dormant for long periods
(hence you should be changing a belt after 5 years or so regardless of
mileage). As some have posted, it's often the tensioner that siezes and
takes out the belt as well, and so the effects of the environment (dust,
etc.) and manufacturing (quality of bearings, alignment of bearing with
rotation, etc.) come into play with the bearings of the tensioner. I'm sure
if you looked enough on the net you would find a site that would get into
the stats of belt breakage, showing (I'm guessing) a normal distribution of
belt failures, of which, with a confidence interval, of (a guess, again) 95%
that belt breakage will be, say, 75,000 miles. The probablility of a belt
failure at 20,000 miles with such a distribution is not zero, nor is it at
150,000 miles. The problem is that belts are changed more often than they
break (because the consequence of neglect in this case can be engine
destruction), so you'd probably never get a large enough sample size to
prove any hypothesis. (whooooaaa...flashbacks to stats....)
I agree that the stats would be interesting, but qazimo should be shopping
around for a belt change.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old November 15th 04, 02:57 PM
Steve Sears

qazimo,
Although the belt is probably more stressed from acceleration and
deceleration, rather than from straight rpm itself, that will have _NO_
effect on the _SUGGESTED_ interval. (Ref: my reply to Robert's posting)
The standing suggestion is 60k miles - if you go over that, you're on your
own.

Old November 22nd 04, 05:10 AM
KWS

How does a tensioner fail? Unless I am mistaken, the useful life of a
tensioner is from the time you pull the pin to the time you lock the
tensioner bolt. After that, I suppose you could remove the tensioner and
throw it away. Or does the Audi tensioner work differently than other
engines on which I have replaced the timing belt? I am referring to the 1.8T
(ATW) engine.

Thanks,

Ken

Old December 27th 04, 05:02 PM
Hamish

"Iain Miller" > wrote in message

If you are buying it from a dealer then you should get
> at least a year's warranty on the thing .

The warrenty on my second hand Audi states that the car must be maintained
in accordance with the manufacturer'S recomendations and specifically
mandates that the timing belt is serviced at the recommended interval. This
is a general motor trade insurance based warrenty, not specifically AUdi.

1987 Audi 5000 Timing Belt Marti Audi 24 October 16th 04 06:17 AM
A4 1.8T Timing Belt [email protected] Audi 2 October 15th 04 05:48 PM
Timing belt change - 1996 Audi A6 (2.6 litre V6) - what's involved? John Prendergast Audi 4 September 9th 04 04:23 PM
Timing belt on 1996 2.8 Wayne Mak Audi 6 September 6th 04 02:38 PM
Timing Belt Change Simon Audi 10 August 26th 04 04:52 AM