Run Flat Tires

Old March 21st 06, 12:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Run Flat Tires

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:45:45 -0800, "Floyd Rogers"
> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but the M3 doesn't have a different *part number* for the left
>> and right tires, does it? You can swap the tires side to side on the
>> M3 rims. You can't do that on the NSX.

>It depends upon *which* set of tires you bought. The OEM tires
>were unidirectional and left/right. However, some replacement tires
>were only unidirectional and *NOT* left/right. Those could be dis-
>mounted and remounted on the other side to "rotate" them, if you
>really cared to do so. Since the fronts never lasted more than
>about 12K miles and the rears never more than 6K, there's really
>no purpose in doing so.
>
>FloydR - former NSX owner.

It begs the question, why would anyone replace the unique,
custom-designed OEM spec. tires with same-size generics on that
particular car?

The second used NSX I bought (to replace the one I stuffed through a
length of concrete fence posts backwards and sideways, but that's
another story) had Michelin Pilots, or some such, with a very sexy,
swoopy tread pattern on. They were nearly new, but I put the correct
Yokos on it and gave the old rears to a friend for the front of his
M3. The fronts went in the recycle bin.

I drove that NSX for a couple of thousand miles on the Michelins at
first, and I can assure you that they were the *wrong* tires for the
car. There was definitely a slingshot, lag effect with lateral
movement at speed, as opposed to the instant, firm shift with the OEM
Yokos and Bridgestones.
--
Dan.
Old March 21st 06, 12:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:02:09 -0700, RT > wrote:

>>Yes, but the M3 doesn't have a different *part number* for the left
>>and right tires, does it? You can swap the tires side to side on the
>>M3 rims. You can't do that on the NSX.

>Didnt know that. I stand corrected.
>Why would they do that ? I'm sure modern tires (remember, the nsx
>isn't the new kid on the block anymore) can be used now.

The tread ply angles are directional for each side, which is what
makes them left and right handed. Also, the sidewalls are *much*
stiffer than regular tires, but that's not a directional thing.

The OEM rubber compound is relatively soft, and is a different
hardness between the fronts and rears. All in all, it's silly to put
anything other than the purpose designed OEM tires on this particular
car, even if you have the irrational urge to rotate the tires and
things like that.
--
Dan.
Old March 21st 06, 12:45 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Dean Dark" > wrote
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:45:45 -0800, "Floyd Rogers"wrote:

>>FloydR - former NSX owner.

> It begs the question, why would anyone replace the unique,
> custom-designed OEM spec. tires with same-size generics on that
> particular car?

Mostly better tire wear.

The NSX absolutely had to have tires in good shape: right pressure and
adequate tread. It's absolutely twitchy/bitchy when they get worn -
handling
always improved with a fresh set. And you didn't want to drive it in the
rain
if the rears were close to the wear bars.

FloydR

Old March 21st 06, 12:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:45:14 -0800, "Floyd Rogers"
> wrote:

<NSX tires>

>> It begs the question, why would anyone replace the unique,
>> custom-designed OEM spec. tires with same-size generics on that
>> particular car?

>Mostly better tire wear.

Yes, well, that's like buying Kraft cheese slices instead of good
cheddar. It's certainly cheaper...
--
Dan.
Old March 21st 06, 02:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

RT wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:28:36 -0500, Fred W
> > wrote:
>

>>RT wrote:
>>

>>>I have never experienced this. Keeping the tire pressure healthy is a
>>>great help.
>>>

>>It has nothing to do with tire pressure and everything to do with the
>>camber. Your cars must not have had much camber and/or did not have
>>very wide tires.
>>
>>Ask anyone with an M3 how long their rear tires last and where they wear
>>out first.

> Stock setting, 275 in the rear. wide enough ?

Stock setting on what? The type of car would be helpful to determine if
it has any appreciable rear camber dialed in.

--
-Fred W
Old March 23rd 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:34:46 -0500, Fred W
> wrote:

>RT wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:28:36 -0500, Fred W
>> > wrote:

>>>It has nothing to do with tire pressure and everything to do with the
>>>camber. Your cars must not have had much camber and/or did not have
>>>very wide tires.
>>>
>>>Ask anyone with an M3 how long their rear tires last and where they wear
>>>out first.

>> Stock setting, 275 in the rear. wide enough ?
>>

>Stock setting on what? The type of car would be helpful to determine if
>it has any appreciable rear camber dialed in.

Well, I replied to the M3 comment...
Old March 24th 06, 01:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

RT wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:34:46 -0500, Fred W
> > wrote:
>

>>RT wrote:

>>>Stock setting, 275 in the rear. wide enough ?
>>>

>>Stock setting on what? The type of car would be helpful to determine if
>>it has any appreciable rear camber dialed in.

> Well, I replied to the M3 comment...

OK so you're saying you have an M3 with 275 width rear tires, stock
camber settings and you don't wear the inner edges of your tires out first?

You are lying.

--
-Fred W