Crappy AM Reception

Old May 30th 05, 10:30 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Alphageek > wrote:
> >> I drink water constantly. I carry cases of water in the trunk, or
> >> boot, whatever you prefer to call it.

> > Why? Doesn't the air con work?

> The A/C works great. Can you drink from it? (not counting the
> condensation)

Well, anyone who needs to drink water *constantly* unless it's very hot is
probably diabetic. Most can manage many hours without when doing such a
low energy task as driving.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 31st 05, 12:58 AM
Dean Dark

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:50:23 -0700, "Alphageek"
> wrote:

>By the way, what did you do in the days before windshield wipers, or weren't
>you driving back then? ;>)

Not quite, but I do remember that not until the third car I owned did
I have *self parking* windscreen (UK...) wipers, and I was tickled to
death at being able to turn then off at any time without having to
wait and time it so they were down flat.

Not all innovations are good, however. The automatic transmission,
power steering, cupholders, drinks in cars, and the cell phone all
contribute to the modern style of driving that seems to only ever use
one hand. Apart from the distraction and wandering about that
non-driving secondary activities cause, there are other dangerous
trends developing, such as non-use of turn signals apparently due to
not having a free hand to work the stalk. The scary thing is that
it's becoming accepted behavior by those who do it, and other drivers.

But few will admit that any such in-car habits that *they* have
affects their concentration or driving ability one little bit.
They're all 'above average' drivers.
--
Dan.
Old May 31st 05, 01:24 AM
Alphageek

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:50:23 -0700, "Alphageek"
> > wrote:
>
>>By the way, what did you do in the days before windshield wipers, or
>>weren't
>>you driving back then? ;>)

> Not quite, but I do remember that not until the third car I owned did
> I have *self parking* windscreen (UK...) wipers, and I was tickled to
> death at being able to turn then off at any time without having to
> wait and time it so they were down flat.
>
> Not all innovations are good, however. The automatic transmission,
> power steering, cupholders, drinks in cars, and the cell phone all
> contribute to the modern style of driving that seems to only ever use
> one hand. Apart from the distraction and wandering about that
> non-driving secondary activities cause, there are other dangerous
> trends developing, such as non-use of turn signals apparently due to
> not having a free hand to work the stalk. The scary thing is that
> it's becoming accepted behavior by those who do it, and other drivers.
>
> But few will admit that any such in-car habits that *they* have
> affects their concentration or driving ability one little bit.
> They're all 'above average' drivers.
> --
> Dan.

Yes...when will it end?

Old May 31st 05, 01:40 AM
Dean Dark

On Mon, 30 May 2005 17:24:01 -0700, "Alphageek"
> wrote:

>Yes...when will it end?

I once heard a suggestion that I honestly think is a *very* good one.

Seat belts shall be removed from all cars and made illegal to fit or
use, and all cars shall be fitted with a sturdy, sharpened steel spike
about 12" long protruding from the center of the steering wheel.

Do you think you'd drive a lot more carefully in that car? I know I
would.
--
Dan.
Old May 31st 05, 02:53 AM
Alphageek

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 17:24:01 -0700, "Alphageek"
> > wrote:
>
>>Yes...when will it end?

> I once heard a suggestion that I honestly think is a *very* good one.
>
> Seat belts shall be removed from all cars and made illegal to fit or
> use, and all cars shall be fitted with a sturdy, sharpened steel spike
> about 12" long protruding from the center of the steering wheel.
>
> Do you think you'd drive a lot more carefully in that car? I know I
> would.
> --
> Dan.

Just as long as that car doesn't have power steering, automatic
transmissions, or any of those other evil innovations.

Old June 4th 05, 01:33 PM
GRL

And FM reception, too. Both suck in my 2003 E46. My GMC Yukon does both
VASTLY better.

- GRL

Old June 6th 05, 03:02 AM
Nicik Name

"Jeff Mayner" > wrote in message
> fbloogyudsr wrote:
> > "Jim" > wrote
> >> "CJ" > wrote
> >>>
> >> Who really worries about AM? Even on cars with good AM recepetion,
> >> the sound quality is still very deficient.

> > All sorts of baseball (and other sports) are on (free) AM radio.
> > And, in many parts of the west, FM reception is way out-of-range bad.
> > And of course, if you're a Rush fan...

> I would like to go on record at this time. I am most certainly _not_ a

Rush
> Limbaugh fan.

Who is at this day and age?

'05 Accord EX - Poor FM reception I'm_a_dreamer Honda 17 April 8th 05 05:06 PM
Poor radio reception Sid Honda 2 March 24th 05 02:19 PM
Crappy undersized wire in overpriced Saturn block heater private Saturn 7 March 5th 05 06:01 AM
FYI: Audi radio reception problems? Steve Sears Audi 0 December 15th 04 03:32 PM
Poor AM Radio reception in A4 Cam Newton Audi 18 May 31st 04 11:45 PM