P0371 code & M54 engine (Z3 2002)

Old March 20th 12, 10:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

Default P0371 code & M54 engine (Z3 2002)

Hi,
I pulled this code from my engine.
No evidence of any trouble except some lack of response from time to time
but the spark plugs have 80k on them and the car 155k
Where should I look at ? Cam shaft position ?
Google didn"t provide any clue for the origin.
Thanks

Old March 20th 12, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"frischmoutt" > wrote in message
. fr...
> Hi,
> I pulled this code from my engine.
> No evidence of any trouble except some lack of response from time to time
> but the spark plugs have 80k on them and the car 155k
> Where should I look at ? Cam shaft position ?
> Google didn"t provide any clue for the origin.
> Thanks

P0371 BMW Timing Reference High Resolution Signal A Too Many Pulses

I say, reset the computer and drive happy. Wait to see if the problem
returns.

Old March 22nd 12, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

Thanks Jeff,

This is what I found on internet, unfortunately no more. I don't know what
sensor to look at and I love to understand :-)
I've been driving quietly for months and except the oil consumption that
dramatically increased since the last oil service, the engine is still
smooth.
And, yes, the error code reappears from time to time.

Frustrated regards :-)

Old March 22nd 12, 08:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

frischmoutt > wrote:

>This is what I found on internet, unfortunately no more. I don't know what
>sensor to look at and I love to understand :-)

I think you have two timing reference sensors on that car. One is a TDC
sensor and the other isn't. Whichever is "sensor A," that signal is
noisy. It could be a bad connector or a bad sensor. I'd clean all the
connectors involved with the timing sensors with DeOxit and then pack them
with dielectric grease if you haven't already packed them all with the
grease. If it doesn't go away, try swapping the A sensor.
--scott

Old March 26th 12, 09:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

ETK mentions 3 sensors; two on the camshaft and one on the crankshaft. Only
one of the camshaft's ones is referenced. So, I assume that it's an option
or an old reference not mounted any longer.

I've no idea where they're mounted. There are so muck things looking like
these sensors that it makes difficult to locate the good one.
TIS is no use.

regards

Old March 28th 12, 05:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

frischmoutt > wrote:
>ETK mentions 3 sensors; two on the camshaft and one on the crankshaft. Only
>one of the camshaft's ones is referenced. So, I assume that it's an option
>or an old reference not mounted any longer.

Get the Haynes, it will tell you where they probably are and what they look
like. Or get the factory manual, which will tell you precisely where they
are. You want the electrical volume.
--scott
Old April 1st 12, 04:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

Thks, I'll do that.