DAB Experiment Part 1

Old December 23rd 04, 02:25 PM
Graeme Cosgrove

Default DAB Experiment Part 1

I received the internal aerial from www.caraudidirect.com this morning.
Since I had only ordered it the day before I thought that was pretty good
going.

The aerial is an "L" shaped device on a self adhesive backing. It looks
like a rear window heating element. Also in the kit is a connector and
aerial cable. This was the bit I wasn't looking forward to as it needs to
be a super-neat installlation or it will look gash.

The aerial fits in the front widscreen at the top of the A pillar on the
passenger side, and sticks directly to the glass. I cleaned the area with
windolene and attached the aerial which was very straighforward. Once fixed
you can barely notice it's there, but you should be careful to elminate
air-bubbles.

The aerial cable has a small adhesive block adaptor that sticks onto the
winsvreen. Two little sprung clips press against corresponding tabs on the
aerial itself. The cable has an earthing point about 3 inches from the
adhesive block. This should be fixed to the metal of the car body - the
instructions suggest the sunscreen attaching screw, and I used this as it
fitted perfectly. I put a 90 degree bend into the earth tab and fed the
wires around the sunshield bracket. Once again it fitted very well and
looked pretty good.

I ran the cable down the A pillar trim and then into the glove box (where
the DAB box is going to live), and even this was quite straightforward as
the trim is quite flexible and hides the wire very well.

All I need now is the DAB box and I can complete part 2! The box is going
to sit in the glove box and get screwed to the roof of the compartment.
There are three connections I need to make - the aerial (which is already
routed), the JVC Link connector and a power supply (as the DAB box doesn't
run of the head unit). I am going to route the wires through a hole I am
going to drill in the rear of the glove box and then up the central dash
pillar into the rear of the head unit. The power supply will probably end
up connected via a chocolate block, and there is another earth wire that I
haven't quite decided what to do with.

So far so good. If anyone wants digital pictures I can send them direct via
e-mail. Please e-mail me direct and I will respond.

Old December 23rd 04, 02:27 PM
Catman

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:

> I received the internal aerial from www.caraudidirect.com this morning.
> Since I had only ordered it the day before I thought that was pretty good
> going.

Very useful, cheers Graeme

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk