89 5.0 dies at stop lights

Old April 28th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 89 5.0 dies at stop lights

This may be similar to some things that were posted recently, but I'll go
ahead and ask anyways....

Had the 89 Mustang (Automatic) out today and had something odd happen. Every
time I approached a stoplight and hit the brakes to gently slow down, the
engine would die very quietly around 5 mph. Basicly, the tach would
continue to drop, right past idle, down to zero. Pop it into N and hit the
starter and everything's fine. I could put it right into drive and sit there,
waiting for the light, then take off, with no problem. This occured at 5 red
lights and one left turn.

I haven't thouroughly tested it, but it appears that if I let off the brake
and gave it a few sec to coast between hitting the brakes again, I could stop
without this happening. In all other respects, the engine is running just
perfectly. Acceleration is smooth, Idle is smooth, etc.

WTF?
Old April 28th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Brian Bunin" > wrote in message
. com...
> This may be similar to some things that were posted recently, but I'll go
> ahead and ask anyways....
>
> Had the 89 Mustang (Automatic) out today and had something odd happen.
> Every
> time I approached a stoplight and hit the brakes to gently slow down, the
> engine would die very quietly around 5 mph. Basicly, the tach would
> continue to drop, right past idle, down to zero. Pop it into N and hit the
> starter and everything's fine. I could put it right into drive and sit
> there,
> waiting for the light, then take off, with no problem. This occured at 5
> red
> lights and one left turn.
>
> I haven't thouroughly tested it, but it appears that if I let off the
> brake
> and gave it a few sec to coast between hitting the brakes again, I could
> stop
> without this happening. In all other respects, the engine is running just
> perfectly. Acceleration is smooth, Idle is smooth, etc.
>
> WTF?

My first thought would be the idle control motor.

Old April 29th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Backyard Mechanic > wrote:
(Brian Bunin) wrote:

>> This may be similar to some things that were posted recently, but I'll
>> go ahead and ask anyways....
>>
>> Had the 89 Mustang (Automatic) out today and had something odd happen.
>> Every time I approached a stoplight and hit the brakes to gently slow
>> down, the engine would die very quietly around 5 mph. Basicly, the
>> tach would continue to drop, right past idle, down to zero. Pop it
>> into N and hit the starter and everything's fine. I could put it right
>> into drive and sit there, waiting for the light, then take off, with
>> no problem. This occured at 5 red lights and one left turn.
>>
>> I haven't thouroughly tested it, but it appears that if I let off the
>> brake and gave it a few sec to coast between hitting the brakes again,
>> I could stop without this happening. In all other respects, the engine
>> is running just perfectly. Acceleration is smooth, Idle is smooth,
>> etc.
>>
>> WTF?

>Next time this happens, drive it in D instead of OD and see what happens
>at the next stop.
>
>If all idling, otherwise, is proper it still COULD be the IAC but also
>sounds like sluggish Torque Converter Clutch release.

OK, drove it in D, rather than OD today.
Problem did not reoccur.
So what does that tell us?
Old April 29th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

(Brian Bunin) wrote:

>>> This may be similar to some things that were posted recently, but
>>> I'll go ahead and ask anyways....
>>>
>>> Had the 89 Mustang (Automatic) out today and had something odd
>>> happen. Every time I approached a stoplight and hit the brakes to
>>> gently slow down, the engine would die very quietly around 5 mph.
>>> Basicly, the tach would continue to drop, right past idle, down to
>>> zero. Pop it into N and hit the starter and everything's fine. I
>>> could put it right into drive and sit there, waiting for the light,
>>> then take off, with no problem. This occured at 5 red lights and one
>>> left turn.
>>>
>>> I haven't thouroughly tested it, but it appears that if I let off
>>> the brake and gave it a few sec to coast between hitting the brakes
>>> again, I could stop without this happening. In all other respects,
>>> the engine is running just perfectly. Acceleration is smooth, Idle
>>> is smooth, etc.
>>>
>>> WTF?

>>Next time this happens, drive it in D instead of OD and see what
>>happens at the next stop.
>>
>>If all idling, otherwise, is proper it still COULD be the IAC but also
>>sounds like sluggish Torque Converter Clutch release.
>>

> OK, drove it in D, rather than OD today.
> Problem did not reoccur.
> So what does that tell us?
>
>>sounds like sluggish Torque Converter Clutch release.

the line directly above..

Make sure you can replicate it, in OD then in D.
If it happens again in OD... then you might try a Transmission flush.

Is the fluid burnt smelling or cloudy

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old April 30th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

(Brian Bunin) wrote:

>>>Next time this happens, drive it in D instead of OD and see what
>>>happens at the next stop.
>>>
>>>If all idling, otherwise, is proper it still COULD be the IAC but also
>>>sounds like sluggish Torque Converter Clutch release.
>>>

>> OK, drove it in D, rather than OD today.
>> Problem did not reoccur.
>> So what does that tell us?
>>
>>>sounds like sluggish Torque Converter Clutch release.

>the line directly above..
>
>Make sure you can replicate it, in OD then in D.
>If it happens again in OD... then you might try a Transmission flush.
>
>Is the fluid burnt smelling or cloudy

Thanks!
Did a tranny flush and it seems OK.
The fluid was a touch cloudy and dark, but didn't smell burnt.

car dies when coming to a stop or rapid slow downs Pd7704 Honda 2 March 15th 06 05:50 AM
KLASP - Keep Left And Stop Pedalphiles Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 86 December 25th 05 04:00 AM
Lights Flashing martinjavier Dodge 0 July 7th 05 05:58 AM
What do you do when all the traffic lights are dark? Brent P Driving 1 March 31st 05 06:58 PM
Pontiac Grand Prix instrument panel and other lights out? [email protected] Technology 5 March 25th 05 12:16 AM