Hitch Installation For Bike Carrier ?

Old May 19th 15, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Hitch Installation For Bike Carrier ?

Hello,

Considering installing a rear Hitch on car (2015 Subaru Outback) to
carry one of those Hitch mounted bike carriers.

The ones that attach to a Hitch seem a better solution than the ones
that attach to all of the rear trunk door with all of the straps; at
least 6 it seems.

Dealership wants $ 700 to install a Hitch (parts and labor)
Wow !

a. What kind of price should I expect as being reasonable ?

b. Are there (screw) studs underneath already for this kind of thing, or
do they have to weld, etc. ? Or,...?

How is it attached to the underbody ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old May 20th 15, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 05/19/2015 02:10 PM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Considering installing a rear Hitch on car (2015 Subaru Outback) to
> carry one of those Hitch mounted bike carriers.
>
> The ones that attach to a Hitch seem a better solution than the ones
> that attach to all of the rear trunk door with all of the straps; at
> least 6 it seems.
>
> Dealership wants $ 700 to install a Hitch (parts and labor)
> Wow !
>
> a. What kind of price should I expect as being reasonable ?
>
> b. Are there (screw) studs underneath already for this kind of thing, or
> do they have to weld, etc. ? Or,...?
>
> How is it attached to the underbody ?

Not a clue, but you should ask your local u-haul or equivalent what they
charge.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.
Old May 20th 15, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

The Real Bev > wrote in news:mjgfqc$1ck$2@dont-
email.me:

> On 05/19/2015 02:10 PM, Bob wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Considering installing a rear Hitch on car (2015 Subaru Outback) to
>> carry one of those Hitch mounted bike carriers.
>>
>> The ones that attach to a Hitch seem a better solution than the ones
>> that attach to all of the rear trunk door with all of the straps; at
>> least 6 it seems.
>>
>> Dealership wants $ 700 to install a Hitch (parts and labor)
>> Wow !
>>
>> a. What kind of price should I expect as being reasonable ?
>>
>> b. Are there (screw) studs underneath already for this kind of thing, or
>> do they have to weld, etc. ? Or,...?
>>
>> How is it attached to the underbody ?

> Not a clue, but you should ask your local u-haul or equivalent what they
> charge.

there are plenty of aftermarket hitch install places, they will be cheeper.
KB
Old May 22nd 15, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steven Geib

On 5/20/2015 5:09 PM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
> The Real Bev > wrote in news:mjgfqc$1ck$2@dont-
> email.me:
>
>> On 05/19/2015 02:10 PM, Bob wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Considering installing a rear Hitch on car (2015 Subaru Outback) to
>>> carry one of those Hitch mounted bike carriers.
>>>
>>> The ones that attach to a Hitch seem a better solution than the ones
>>> that attach to all of the rear trunk door with all of the straps; at
>>> least 6 it seems.
>>>
>>> Dealership wants $ 700 to install a Hitch (parts and labor)
>>> Wow !
>>>
>>> a. What kind of price should I expect as being reasonable ?

I went to uhaul.com and priced a hitch for 2015 Subaru Outback, parts
and labor, it came to about $332.

Old May 22nd 15, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 12:28:37 PM UTC-5, Steven Geib wrote:
> On 5/20/2015 5:09 PM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
> > The Real Bev > wrote in news:mjgfqc$1ck$2@dont-
> > email.me:

> I went to uhaul.com and priced a hitch for 2015 Subaru Outback, parts
> and labor, it came to about $332.

Google,,, Bicycle hitches for cars