Tyre Width

Old March 26th 10, 09:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Default Tyre Width

The only thing I find a pain with radials on my Squareback is harder riding
qualities than cross plies. Thinking a wider tyre may have more "compliance"
has anyone played with wider tyres on standard rims?. Probably fronts would
be the most problematic. ( standard shocks, not gas)
Cheers
John

Old March 26th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

John wrote:
> The only thing I find a pain with radials on my Squareback is harder riding
> qualities than cross plies. Thinking a wider tyre may have more "compliance"
> has anyone played with wider tyres on standard rims?. Probably fronts would
> be the most problematic. ( standard shocks, not gas)
> Cheers
> John

This link explains the effect of changing the rim width on the same
width tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...#rimwidthrange

If you want to select a tire for a particular make and year, go here.
http://www.tirerack.com/ Unfortunately, it won't give you return
information for stock VW tires, i.e. 155 or 165, probably because few
stores stock them (I know that's true here in the USA), so you will
have to choose another size.

I entered info at the above link specifying a 1967 Karmann Ghia (you are
limited to choosing the Beetle or KG) and it returned the message "NOT
AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME". On that same screen it allows you to "select a
custom size", which I did and I choose 185/65-15. For that size it
returned the following page.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...a&autoModClar=
One of the columns at that page is "Rim Width Range". In this case it
shows that a range of 5 to 6.5 inches is acceptable. The next column is
"Meas. Rim Width". It shows a figure of 5.5 inches. I assume that means
the actual tire width and diameter as measured on the 5.5" rim.

-- Randall

P.S.
Since you are looking for tyres and since you also drive on the left
side of the line and perhaps even since you are south of the equator
(different gravitational effects?) then the information at these sites
may not apply precisely to your situation. Also, as they say in the
advertisements, "your mileage may vary."

Old March 26th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

Here's another website that is fun to play with.
http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Offset is in mm (positive or negative) so you will have to search
elsewhere for the standard VW rim offset. I know on my stock '63 Type 3
rims the backspacing is th same as the rim width -- 4.5 inches.
Remember, 1 inch = 25.4 mm. Measuring the offset is a bit trickier.

-- Randall
Old March 29th 10, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AB[_2_]

Have you tried reducing the pressure a little?

Old March 30th 10, 10:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Usually around 18 front and 30 rear. Probably wouldnt be much point reducing
the front but maybe the rear down to ~25???.
John

Old March 30th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AB[_2_]

Sounds about right for a beetle, so I imagine it should be close for your
vehicle too!