Rear Disc Brake

Old March 2nd 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ivan[_9_]

Default Rear Disc Brake

I have a Karmann Guia Coupe 74, last Saturday I could have time and
install the rear disc kit from CB Performance.

I found Eric Huelsmann's instructions on the web who was very
helpfull.

Now I have a problem, the pedal goes too long, very long.

I bleed the system twice but it stills the same.

The master cylinder is one month new ( german ), and the front disc
system is 6 month new.

Before the installation, she was working well with not problem.

I do not see any leaks, but I do not know what to do, please your
comments,

She is my daily driver.

Thanks,

Ivan.
Old March 3rd 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

> Now I have a problem, the pedal goes too long, very long.
>
> I bleed the system twice but it stills the same.
>

> I do not see any leaks, but I do not know what to do, please your
> comments,

Sounds like they were not bled correctly.

This might help:

http://www.vw-resource.com/disc_brake_procedure.html

Notes from Aircooled.Net (from whom we purchased our disc brake
conversion kit) regarding bleeding the brakes -
There are three different types of calipers used in front disc brake
conversions. Our's is the ATE style (pronounced "Ah-Tay" if you are
interested), with two bleeder nipples, for model years 1972 to 1973.
The only reason for the second bleeder is to accelerate the bleeding
process when flushing the system.
Since the master cylinder on Super Beetles uses two pistons, you may
start in the front. Start on the passenger side, front, since this is
the farthest away from the master cylinder on the front brake circuit/
piston. Slip a 4mm or 5/32" inner diameter hose over the bleeder
nipple. (You can get away with using the hoses used in fish tanks.)
Next loosen the bleeder and insert the hose into a clear jar with some
brake fluid in it so you can see the bubbles. Now have your helper
push the brake pedal slowly, constantly exerting pressure on the pedal
all the way down, then releasing pressure constantly and slowly on the
way up. (Ideally you have another person making sure the brake fluid
does not get low; however, you can get away with making sure the
reservoir is full after each wheel.)
Note: Never let the reservoirs go empty or you will have to re-do the
bleeding procedure all over from the beginning.
Once you are convinced that the air is out of the lines and clean
fluid is coming out, tighten the bleeder nipple for that wheel and
move to the left wheel and repeat the procedure. It would be a good
idea to bleed the rear brakes as well in this order: Passenger rear,
then driver rear.
Old March 4th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

I use this power bleeder.
It would help :

http://store.motiveproducts.com/shar...unt2=130180001

Click on the ‘bleeders’ icon.

Click on the ‘single adapter bleeders’ icon.

SKU
0104

Works on most Air Cooled Vws

$59.95 + s&h

My note: Beetle and Ghia use the same fluid reservoir.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>

Old March 5th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

That's what I use too, and I love it!
Use only very low pressure on old plastic fuel reservoirs.
You don't need more than 5 PSI. The gauge on that thing goes way higher.

Jan

Old March 5th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> That's what I use too, and I love it!
> Use only very low pressure on old plastic fuel reservoirs.
> You don't need more than 5 PSI. The gauge on that thing goes way higher.
>
> Jan

Gravity, good for brakebleeding , bad for big boobs...