Oil Everywhere!

Old July 14th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Default Oil Everywhere!

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
> >
>> What about building a Type 2 2.0 engine and putting it in a Baja? I was
>> just offered one that's apart, machine work done, just needs built. The
>> price is very good, I don't think I could get machine work done for what
>> he wants.
>>
>> Les

> that's a type 4 engine... very good engine, especially in a baja.... very
> torquey in a light bug and will take a beating because it's built to push a
> heavy bus around... and in a baja you don't even have to worry about time or
> expense(two different approaches, one converting yourself, and one buying
> parts made for the conversion) to convert to the upright cooling that a bug
> usually has.... search a bit on here and thesamba for "type 4
> conversion".... hell Janet may come along and throw in his two cents on it,
> he's done it...

I figure with that engine and the 002 trans I have sitting in the
garage, I'll be ready to tackle some tougher trails. About the only
other upgrade I'd like to do is out of my price range... A locking
differential.

Les
Old July 14th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> Janet.. lol.. it's Jannifer

after all these years, you are finally telling me i had the name wrong?
damn...

> Anyways, I converted my T4 myself with the help of the Joe Cali T4
> conversion manual.
>
> I wouldn't run a non-converted T4 in a baja, the rear of the engine hangs
> out so much further than a T1, with the cooling shroud taking so much
> space. Also the exhaust pipes rob ground clearance, since they mount on
> the underside of the heads. If welding and metal fabrication is not a
> problem, then a T4 would be a maybe. Parts for them are still more
> expensive than for T1.

i've seen(IE not done) several type 4 baja's in stock type 4
configuration... seems with the rear caging most folks use at the rear of
baja's there usually enough room.... again, no personal experience...

> Back to the turbo idea... a turbo really is the most economical way to get
> noticeably more power from any engine. In theory, you don't need to change
> much of anything in the engine itself, just bolt on the turbo and make
> sure you give it enough fuel at all times. A small turbo will start making
> boost at very low rpms, which would work in a Baja.
>
> Of course, I wouldn't bolt on a turbo on a non-rebuilt and non-optimized
> engine, I would do it right and do BOTH, which is why I still don't have
> one. ($$$)

me likes me a turbo...

Old July 14th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_3_]

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
> >
>> What about building a Type 2 2.0 engine and putting it in a Baja? I was
>> just offered one that's apart, machine work done, just needs built. The
>> price is very good, I don't think I could get machine work done for what
>> he wants.
>>
>> Les

> that's a type 4 engine... very good engine, especially in a baja.... very
> torquey in a light bug and will take a beating because it's built to push a
> heavy bus around... and in a baja you don't even have to worry about time or
> expense(two different approaches, one converting yourself, and one buying
> parts made for the conversion) to convert to the upright cooling that a bug
> usually has.... search a bit on here and thesamba for "type 4
> conversion".... hell Janet may come along and throw in his two cents on it,
> he's done it...

Janet.. lol.. it's Jannifer

Old July 15th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Jan Andersson wrote:
> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>> "Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
>> >
>>> What about building a Type 2 2.0 engine and putting it in a Baja? I
>>> was just offered one that's apart, machine work done, just needs
>>> built. The price is very good, I don't think I could get machine work
>>> done for what he wants.
>>>
>>> Les

>> that's a type 4 engine... very good engine, especially in a baja....
>> very torquey in a light bug and will take a beating because it's built
>> to push a heavy bus around... and in a baja you don't even have to
>> worry about time or expense(two different approaches, one converting
>> yourself, and one buying parts made for the conversion) to convert to
>> the upright cooling that a bug usually has.... search a bit on here
>> and thesamba for "type 4 conversion".... hell Janet may come along and
>> throw in his two cents on it, he's done it...
>>

> Janet.. lol.. it's Jannifer
>
> Anyways, I converted my T4 myself with the help of the Joe Cali T4
> conversion manual.
>
> I wouldn't run a non-converted T4 in a baja, the rear of the engine
> hangs out so much further than a T1, with the cooling shroud taking so
> much space. Also the exhaust pipes rob ground clearance, since they
> mount on the underside of the heads. If welding and metal fabrication is
> not a problem, then a T4 would be a maybe. Parts for them are still more
> expensive than for T1.
>
> Back to the turbo idea... a turbo really is the most economical way to
> get noticeably more power from any engine. In theory, you don't need to
> change much of anything in the engine itself, just bolt on the turbo and
> make sure you give it enough fuel at all times. A small turbo will
> start making boost at very low rpms, which would work in a Baja.
>
> Of course, I wouldn't bolt on a turbo on a non-rebuilt and non-optimized
> engine, I would do it right and do BOTH, which is why I still don't have
> one. ($$$)

Exactly why it's out of the question for me. My goal is to get the car
back up and running ASAP. I'd be happy with a stock 1600 at this point,
but try finding one cheap around here (Tulsa, Oklahoma).

I've got one last thing to try on the current engine before giving up on
it completely. It may be a waste of time and money, but it's worth the
$15 to give it a try. Alumaloy is supposed to work with Magnesium, as
well as aluminum. As soon as mine arrives, I'll see if it really works
like they claim.

I've heard of sleeving the oil passage with brass tubes to help prevent
seeping, I'll put that in after I use the Alumaloy. I'm going to
relocate the oil cooler to take some stress off of the repaired area also.

Les
Old July 15th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> >
>> Janet.. lol.. it's Jannifer

> after all these years, you are finally telling me i had the name wrong?
> damn...
>
>> Anyways, I converted my T4 myself with the help of the Joe Cali T4
>> conversion manual.
>>
>> I wouldn't run a non-converted T4 in a baja, the rear of the engine hangs
>> out so much further than a T1, with the cooling shroud taking so much
>> space. Also the exhaust pipes rob ground clearance, since they mount on
>> the underside of the heads. If welding and metal fabrication is not a
>> problem, then a T4 would be a maybe. Parts for them are still more
>> expensive than for T1.

> i've seen(IE not done) several type 4 baja's in stock type 4
> configuration... seems with the rear caging most folks use at the rear of
> baja's there usually enough room.... again, no personal experience...

I don't have a rear cage yet. Probably gonna build one, I have a couple
of local guys that have hydraulic benders. One of the guys does major
suspension mods on 4x4's.

I need to do something before I start seeing what it'd take to put this
engine in the Baja...

http://triumphchoppers.com/albums/album44/aab.sized.jpg

Not sure the bus trans would be geared low enough for this one to push
me thru the trails.

Les
Old July 15th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> Let's try this again, any suggestions for a budget build?
>
> Les

Les,

The stock VW engine in proper running form has a nice bottom end pull.
Most of the bugs I've driven have lacked bottom end torque because the
owners did not understand the importance of the carburetor heating
system, a functional vacuum advance distributor, and a proper tune-up.

A stock bug is a stump puller with the stock camshaft. If you want it
to run 'right' you need to put everything back the way VW intended.
Ensure that the intake heating system is working. Overhaul the
carburetor and make sure the jets are correct, make sure the vacuum
advance on the distributor works, then do the basic stuff...set your
mixture, timing, idle speed, valves, points, fan belt tension, and so
on.

Properly tuned, an old VW doesn't have to run like "an old VW". It can
(and will) run just like a modern car. I have no problem barking the
tires in my 74 super, and it's 100% stock. Seeing a bug squeal the
tires turns a lot of heads ;-)

If I can offer you any advice, it would be to look for Bob Hoover's
sermons. There is a literal wealth of information in there if you will
take the time to read and understand what Bob has to say. I can tell
you that everything he's told me I've been able to take to the bank.
It works, try it for yourself.

Good luck with it.

Chris
Old July 15th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

wrote:
>> Let's try this again, any suggestions for a budget build?
>>
>> Les

> Les,
>
> The stock VW engine in proper running form has a nice bottom end pull.
> Most of the bugs I've driven have lacked bottom end torque because the
> owners did not understand the importance of the carburetor heating
> system, a functional vacuum advance distributor, and a proper tune-up.
>
> A stock bug is a stump puller with the stock camshaft. If you want it
> to run 'right' you need to put everything back the way VW intended.
> Ensure that the intake heating system is working. Overhaul the
> carburetor and make sure the jets are correct, make sure the vacuum
> advance on the distributor works, then do the basic stuff...set your
> mixture, timing, idle speed, valves, points, fan belt tension, and so
> on.
>
> Properly tuned, an old VW doesn't have to run like "an old VW". It can
> (and will) run just like a modern car. I have no problem barking the
> tires in my 74 super, and it's 100% stock. Seeing a bug squeal the
> tires turns a lot of heads ;-)
>
> If I can offer you any advice, it would be to look for Bob Hoover's
> sermons. There is a literal wealth of information in there if you will
> take the time to read and understand what Bob has to say. I can tell
> you that everything he's told me I've been able to take to the bank.
> It works, try it for yourself.
>
> Good luck with it.

I have the current 1776 running very well, just can't keep oil in it due
to the cracked case at the oil cooler mount.

A stock Bug being a stump puller is fine, until you take it off-road
with 31/10.50-15 tires on all 4 corners. As far as squealing the tires,
my 1776 would do that with the big tires.

Problem is, the trails I take it on don't allow for heavy acceleration.
The best trails (most fun) are all 1st gear, with a lot of clutch
action. The bus trans might help take some of the clutching out, due to
the lower gears.

What works best on the street is seldom best for off-road. I'll give up
some on the road performance for better off-road capability.

Les
Old July 15th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
> I have no problem barking the
> tires in my 74 super, and it's 100% stock. Seeing a bug squeal the
> tires turns a lot of heads ;-)

you have that right Chris.... and the car's rear jerking out sideways while
smoking the tires after grabbing second gear will make them do a double
take...<G>... not that i condone that kind of behaviour....