Just coincidence, or...?

Old April 21st 17, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default Just coincidence, or...?

I came across the wheel-lock key from our '96 Stratus that had gone to
the wreckers years ago and thought to compare it with the one for our
'02 300M. Imagine my surprise when I found that it fit perfectly.

Are there really only a very few different "patterns" of locking wheel nut?

Perce
Old April 21st 17, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
James Rau[_2_]

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 21:05:14 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> wrote:

>I came across the wheel-lock key from our '96 Stratus that had gone to
>the wreckers years ago and thought to compare it with the one for our
>'02 300M. Imagine my surprise when I found that it fit perfectly.
>
>Are there really only a very few different "patterns" of locking wheel nut?
>
>Perce

It would not surprise me (nor would it be mere coincidence) if your
wheel-lock key fit the wheel nut of a completely different make and
model of car. All manufacturers (whether they produce doohickeys or
thingamabobs) usually abide by certain specifications and standards.

Manufacturers do this mainly for two reasons: 1) Standardization
allows for lower production costs, and 2) it provides the greatest
amount of cross-compatibility for the customers. It is very possible
that if you had lost your wheel lock key, that you could go to your
next door neighboor and ask to borrow his/her key (regardless of
make/model of car) and still be able to unlock the wheel nut.

James Rau

Coincidence, or something more? Pink Freud®© Jeep 0 February 3rd 08 03:49 AM
coincidence? jim beam Honda 1 January 20th 07 08:27 AM
An Uncanny Coincidence? NoName Chrysler 42 December 20th 05 02:08 PM
Some coincidence??? elaich Ford Mustang 4 June 15th 05 09:48 PM