Honda Civic 1999, P0135, Oxygen Sensor Change, D16Y7 --- The Story....

Old March 7th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
hobbes

Default Honda Civic 1999, P0135, Oxygen Sensor Change, D16Y7 --- TheStory ....

On Feb 25, 8:08*am, hobbes > wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2:43*pm, hobbes > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 15, 8:46*pm, hobbes > wrote:

> > > Hi Jeffery,

> > > I was reading some of your posts about your overheating engine, sorry
> > > to learn you are having some much trouble. I am afraid I am not an
> > > expert in cars and am sort of learning as I go along .....

> > > Oxygen Sensors are more to do with emissions than overheating engines.
> > > If a sensor fails it usually fails safe. Say you cut all the wires to
> > > the sensor, the engine will still run because the ECM car computer
> > > uses a default value and keeps your car running. Your catalytic
> > > converter may suffer a bit as will your miles per gallon petrol usage,
> > > but it is usually O.K. to drive around for a few days until you can
> > > bring the car to a repair place.

> > > The fact that your battery light came on and the oil presure light I
> > > think means your engine stopped running. This means the servo
> > > assistance on the brakes also is not there. Your foot brakes will
> > > work, but they are much harder to push because there is no engine to
> > > help apply preasure. Likewise you may have found the steering also
> > > harder to turn the wheel. Again the power assistance to the steering
> > > may also have been lost.

> > > I think your temperature gauge is not lying and there is also a high
> > > temp warning light and I did not see you mentioning that coming on. So
> > > I think your engine did not overheat in this instance.

> > > Hope you can get your puppy fixed up OK.

> > > Warmest regards, Mike.

> > Hi,

> > I just filled up with Petrol and over 197.3 miles I used 6.135 Gallons
> > of petrol. So I have about 32 MPG. This I think is what I was getting
> > before on my average weekly usage. I had two days worth running with
> > the Check Engine Light on, and about five days with the new Oxygen
> > Sensor installed. I suspect that the old O2 sensor was still working,
> > just that the heater bit was broken. Hence I was only getting bad fuel
> > consumption when the car is cold which is not for very long.

> > So far the car runs like it was before. I cannot tell the difference.
> > So I gues so far the Oxygen Sensor is working O.K.

> > Finger crossed ..... Mike.- Hide quoted text -

> It has been a month now .... still OK .... touch wood....
>
> Best, Mike.- Hide quoted text -

At at about the two month point since I put in that Bosch Oxygen
Sensor. Running good. The MPG is really no change and I average about
31 MPG which is what I used to get. So that is about 800 miles on the
car.

Best, Mike.
Old March 9th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I too have had excellent luck with Bosch sensors, particularly their
new "planar" type. Don't care for the old thimbles.

Stay away from the Denso junk.

Old March 9th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Excellent, the planars reach light off temperature much faster, uses
less heater energy, and are more resistant to contamination because of
the planar design:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...s/PlanarO2.htm

I don't see any advantage in Denso. I'd stay away from them.

Old March 9th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

There really isn't a "universal" oxygen sensor that fits all cars.
Oxygen sensors have different response profiles, even among the
popular heated narrow band type.

However, since groups of sensors (eg. heated narrow band) may have the
same response profile, it's possible to splice on the old connector to
a new "universal" one of the *same response profile*. That's where
Bosch's "universal" line comes in. They're actually like 12 different
types. I've used them with good results.

Bosch universal heated sensors:
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...tedSensors.htm

So pick sensors only based on manufacturer's application catalog, not
by "cross referencing".

IMO NTK sensors and NGK spark plugs (actually NTK/NGK are the same
company) are superior to Denso. However, for sensors I'd go for Bosch
planar.

Old March 9th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Old November 5th 16, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
hobbes

On Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 12:55:08 PM UTC-5, hobbes wrote:

> [...]
>
> I then put extra anti seize onto the new sensor, taking care to keep
> it on the threads only and away from the business end of the sensor.
> The sensor did come with some anti-seize, but I added more and
> smoothed it over to ensure a nice even coating. Put the sensor in,
> making sure the tip does not touch anything oily. Re-assembly is the
> reverse of everything up to now.
>
> The bosch sensor wire did not come with the rubber grommet that helps
> secure the wire to engine clip and is longer in length. I clipped back
> the wire connector clip, and used a few cable ties to secure the wire
> away from the exhaust heat shield and radiator fan.
>
> Hooked up the battery ..... Hmmm moment of truth ..... Ignition stage II.
> Clear the codes with the Actron. Then hit the starter. Engine fires
> and the Check Engine Light remains off. Mission accomplished James.

Well it has been 8 years and I can report that the Bosch Oxygen sensor is still working. So I guess that is what we can call a long term test. Milage is now 149,000 miles.