Perspective Regarding Gas Prices

Old August 16th 05, 03:02 PM
Scott en Aztlán

Default Perspective Regarding Gas Prices

In inflation-adjusted dollars, crude oil cost over $80/barrel and
gasoline was over $3/gallon for regular.

You can all STFU now about how expensive gasoline is.

Old August 16th 05, 03:44 PM
Dan J.S.

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> In inflation-adjusted dollars, crude oil cost over $80/barrel and
> gasoline was over $3/gallon for regular.
>
> You can all STFU now about how expensive gasoline is.

Plus, you can buy other **** much cheaper... for example, a PC now costs
1/10th of what it did 10 years ago. I think gas prices should still go up a
bit to finally force alternative energy sources to come to play. This is
probably the best thing happening right now.

Old August 19th 05, 01:56 AM

In 73/74? Adjust for inflation, crude was over $80/barrel but the
gasoline never touched $2.00/gal during that time. In 1979, it went
slightly over $2.50.

Explain that.

Old August 19th 05, 04:36 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> In inflation-adjusted dollars, crude oil cost over $80/barrel and
> gasoline was over $3/gallon for regular.
>
> You can all STFU now about how expensive gasoline is.

That is a crock of BS. Gas has never been $3 a gallon and i don't give
two ****s about your "factor in inflation" theory.

Old August 19th 05, 07:19 AM
Bernard Farquart

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On 18 Aug 2005 17:56:21 -0700, wrote:
>
>>In 73/74?

> No, 1980.

I remember the gas stations having to figure out how
to add a 1 in front of the price signs that were not
designed to have three digits on them.

Bernard

Old August 19th 05, 12:52 PM
Larry Bud

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> > In inflation-adjusted dollars, crude oil cost over $80/barrel and
> > gasoline was over $3/gallon for regular.
> >
> > You can all STFU now about how expensive gasoline is.

> That is a crock of BS. Gas has never been $3 a gallon and i don't give
> two ****s about your "factor in inflation" theory.

I realize the math is above your 2nd grade education, but inflation
isn't a "theory".

IOW, if your IQ was adjusted into today's dollars from 1980, it might
actually reach 100.

Old August 19th 05, 07:34 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 wrote:

> In 73/74? Adjust for inflation, crude was over $80/barrel but the
> gasoline never touched $2.00/gal during that time. In 1979, it went
> slightly over $2.50. Explain that.

I can think of a few plausible explanations, any of which -- alone or in
combination -- easily explain that.

-In 1973-1974, most all consumer gasolines were leaded. It's less
expensive to make leaded gasoline of a given octane rating than it is to
make unleaded.

-In 1973-4 and 1979, gasoline was permitted to be a great deal dirtier
(per se) than it is now, and it didn't have to contain any detergent
additives. Now, it is legally required to contain less of a great many
constituents, from Sulphur to aliphatics to gums, and is legally required
to carry detergent additives. The additional refining and the additives
add to the production cost.

-In 1973-4 and 1979, the only gasoline formula requirement differences for
different parts of North America were to do with ambient temperatures
(summer vs. winter gas) and altitudes above sea level (lower octane
required at high altitude). Now, there are numerous different highly
localized and legally-mandatory formulation requirements that make it
impossible to sell the same gasoline in adjoining counties or states, let
alone across the entire continent. This has driven the costs of refining
and distribution WAY up, since gasoline must be refined in smaller batches
and distributed exclusively to very much more specific regions. Most of
these new formulations are more difficult to refine, and most of them are
less efficient to refine (need more crude to yield a gallon of gasoline),
further driving up the price.

-Oil companies are greedy.

Old August 20th 05, 02:05 AM
The Bartlo Blade

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend:

>=20
> Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> > In inflation-adjusted dollars, crude oil cost over $80/barrel and
> > gasoline was over $3/gallon for regular.
> >
> > You can all STFU now about how expensive gasoline is.

>=20
> That is a crock of BS. Gas has never been $3 a gallon and i don't give
> two ****s about your "factor in inflation" theory.

Dat shooes howw stooped yoo reeelee rrr, yoo knoe nutheng abowt theee=20
eeeconemee, yoo inbread gote bloeing imbisle.