Obama's Perestroika is working so far

Old February 21st 11, 05:10 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.society.liberalism,alt.fan.noam-chomsky,alt.fan.michael-moore
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante Banana[_2_]

Default Obama's Perestroika is working so far

You can do it, too

In the West, there have been stirrings of dissent as the scale of the
economic crisis becomes apparent and the reassurances of the
mainstream media - that good times are just around the corner, come to
sound ever more threadbare. Students, and young people in particular,
have already shaken off the wishful passivity of the previous
generation. But for the most part the outrage and sense of betrayal
have expressed themselves in ways that pose no real threat to the
governing establishment or the opulent minority who control it.

The Tea Party in the United States and Conservatives in Britain
promise change while working to ensure that everything that matters
stays the same. The right in both countries has benefited from the
failure of their centrist opponents to address the fundamental causes
of recession, unemployment and social breakdown. It is as though the
entire political establishment has adopted the stultifying uniformity
of a one-party state. There is a bankruptcy of policy and of principle
that will, perhaps, finally compel us to take matters into our own
hands.

In the presidential campaign of 2008, Barack Obama never tired of
telling voters they were the change they had been looking for. The
people of Tunisia and Egypt have turned a clever slogan into an
undeniable fact. They did not wait for permission to take action. If
we want another world we must all learn from them.

Can we look beyond the stereotypes offered by our media, and see that
the Egyptians and the Tunisians are now daring us to be free?

Yes, we can.

***

Dan Hind has worked in publishing since 1998 and is the author of two
well-acclaimed books: The Return of the Public and The Threat to
Reason. He is also a regular contributor to The Guardian.

Follow him on Twitter: @danhind

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...80638716.html#
Old February 27th 11, 02:56 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.society.liberalism,alt.fan.noam-chomsky,alt.fan.michael-moore

On Feb 27, 7:27 am, Harold Burton > wrote:
> In article >, >
> wrote:

> > >Learn to use a killfile, fool.

> > Why should I have to Mr T?

> Because your little hissy fit isn't going to make anyone change his
> posting habit.
>
> > The UK groups are for UK transport issues, not
> > for a bunch of yanks to bull**** their irrelevant politics all over because
> > they're too stupid to figure out how not to crosspost.

> > So go **** yourself arsehole.

> snicker

I know I'm imposing on the preference of some to do like the Three
Wise Monkeys, but this is no time to hesitate. Many changes --
revolutions-- are happening in the world and we in the West want to
something custom fit around MODERATION & TRANSPORTATION. We know
change has been long overdue, but don't want the passions of
revolution to sweep us into chaos. I think Obama can manage --you may
say things got out of hand-- but Perestroika is upon us. Skyrocketing
gas prices is not a problem but an opportunity.

Let's talk about positive things like Curitiba or the Netherland's
bike facilities. "Yes, we can."