Happiness is a convertible...

Old March 20th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Default Happiness is a convertible...

I had a high speed interface with a hole in the road a few weeks ago
which bent a wheel. I decided to buy a scrap wheel and have them all
refurbished. I took them to a local place, the guy gave me them back a
week later. Yesterday I took them all to my local tyre shop to have 2
of my tyres refitted and 2 shiny new ones put on as well.

Today I got up and went to collect the wheels from the Tyre shop.

Came home, fitted the wheels. Went for a drive into town to buy an oil
filter. This is the first time I have driven the car on decent rubber
on dry roads, it corners great but isn't as fast as I remember (by
comparison my other car has a 1.1 litre engine and is French).

I came home and discovered that one of the front brakes was binding.

It was a nice day so I decided to have a tinker. I don't really like
brake calipers because of a bad experience with nipples about 15 years ago.

Anyway, I stripped the OSF caliper down, took the piston out and gave it
a bit of a rub down, mopped all the rust out of it and put it back on,
quick bleed and topped up the brake fluid.

So satisfied with my success was I that I decided to go and buy some
eggs from the farm shop (they are always well fresh and uber tasty).

I came home and lo and behold it struck me to change the oil too!

So now my car is smooth as silk, stops on a sixpence, is using much less
fuel than it has been and has the world's shiniest wheels.

Here is a pictu
http://snipr.com/uyl27

To top it all it's poached eggs for tea. Yummy!

--
Douglas
Old March 20th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Douglas Payne wrote:
> I had a high speed interface with a hole in the road a few weeks ago
> which bent a wheel. I decided to buy a scrap wheel and have them all
> refurbished. I took them to a local place, the guy gave me them back a
> week later. Yesterday I took them all to my local tyre shop to have 2
> of my tyres refitted and 2 shiny new ones put on as well.
>
> Today I got up and went to collect the wheels from the Tyre shop.
>
> Came home, fitted the wheels. Went for a drive into town to buy an oil
> filter. This is the first time I have driven the car on decent rubber
> on dry roads, it corners great but isn't as fast as I remember (by
> comparison my other car has a 1.1 litre engine and is French).
>
> I came home and discovered that one of the front brakes was binding.
>
> It was a nice day so I decided to have a tinker. I don't really like
> brake calipers because of a bad experience with nipples about 15 years ago.
>
> Anyway, I stripped the OSF caliper down, took the piston out and gave it
> a bit of a rub down, mopped all the rust out of it and put it back on,
> quick bleed and topped up the brake fluid.
>
> So satisfied with my success was I that I decided to go and buy some
> eggs from the farm shop (they are always well fresh and uber tasty).
>
> I came home and lo and behold it struck me to change the oil too!
>
> So now my car is smooth as silk, stops on a sixpence, is using much less
> fuel than it has been and has the world's shiniest wheels.
>
> Here is a pictu
> http://snipr.com/uyl27
>
> To top it all it's poached eggs for tea. Yummy!

nice car, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side
Old March 20th 10, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Douglas Payne wrote:
> I had a high speed interface with a hole in the road a few weeks ago
> which bent a wheel. I decided to buy a scrap wheel and have them all
> refurbished. I took them to a local place, the guy gave me them back a
> week later. Yesterday I took them all to my local tyre shop to have 2
> of my tyres refitted and 2 shiny new ones put on as well.
>
> Today I got up and went to collect the wheels from the Tyre shop.
>
> Came home, fitted the wheels. Went for a drive into town to buy an oil
> filter. This is the first time I have driven the car on decent rubber
> on dry roads, it corners great but isn't as fast as I remember (by
> comparison my other car has a 1.1 litre engine and is French).
>
> I came home and discovered that one of the front brakes was binding.
>
> It was a nice day so I decided to have a tinker. I don't really like
> brake calipers because of a bad experience with nipples about 15 years ago.
>
> Anyway, I stripped the OSF caliper down, took the piston out and gave it
> a bit of a rub down, mopped all the rust out of it and put it back on,
> quick bleed and topped up the brake fluid.
>
> So satisfied with my success was I that I decided to go and buy some
> eggs from the farm shop (they are always well fresh and uber tasty).
>
> I came home and lo and behold it struck me to change the oil too!
>
> So now my car is smooth as silk, stops on a sixpence, is using much less
> fuel than it has been and has the world's shiniest wheels.
>
> Here is a pictu
> http://snipr.com/uyl27
>
> To top it all it's poached eggs for tea. Yummy!

Excellent! Did you have an alignment done to go along with the new tires?

One of our resident Miata gurus, Lanny Chambers, has worked out a really
nice alignment setup for street Miatas that is a great compromise
between good handling and wear.

When I bought my first Miata 11 years ago, I had new tires installed and
his alignment done within the first month. It felt like an entirely
different and much improved car!

Have fun!

Pat
Old March 20th 10, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Douglas Payne wrote:
> I had a high speed interface with a hole in the road a few weeks ago
> which bent a wheel. I decided to buy a scrap wheel and have them all
> refurbished. I took them to a local place, the guy gave me them back a
> week later. Yesterday I took them all to my local tyre shop to have 2
> of my tyres refitted and 2 shiny new ones put on as well.
>
> Today I got up and went to collect the wheels from the Tyre shop.
>
> Came home, fitted the wheels. Went for a drive into town to buy an oil
> filter. This is the first time I have driven the car on decent rubber
> on dry roads, it corners great but isn't as fast as I remember (by
> comparison my other car has a 1.1 litre engine and is French).
>
> I came home and discovered that one of the front brakes was binding.
>
> It was a nice day so I decided to have a tinker. I don't really like
> brake calipers because of a bad experience with nipples about 15 years ago.
>
> Anyway, I stripped the OSF caliper down, took the piston out and gave it
> a bit of a rub down, mopped all the rust out of it and put it back on,
> quick bleed and topped up the brake fluid.
>
> So satisfied with my success was I that I decided to go and buy some
> eggs from the farm shop (they are always well fresh and uber tasty).
>
> I came home and lo and behold it struck me to change the oil too!
>
> So now my car is smooth as silk, stops on a sixpence, is using much less
> fuel than it has been and has the world's shiniest wheels.
>
> Here is a pictu
> http://snipr.com/uyl27
>
> To top it all it's poached eggs for tea. Yummy!

Very nice-looking! Sounds like a nice Spring day...... :-)

Pat
Old March 21st 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Douglas Payne" > wrote in message > Here is a pictu
> http://snipr.com/uyl27
>
> To top it all it's poached eggs for tea. Yummy!
>
> --
> Douglas

Beautiful car, great color! Remind me, what country is it that you are
driving on the wrong side of the car in?

cd
99BBB

Old March 21st 10, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

pws wrote:
> Douglas Payne wrote:

>> So now my car is smooth as silk, stops on a sixpence, is using much
>> less fuel than it has been and has the world's shiniest wheels.
>>
>> Here is a pictu
>> http://snipr.com/uyl27
>>
>> To top it all it's poached eggs for tea. Yummy!

> Excellent! Did you have an alignment done to go along with the new tires?
>
> One of our resident Miata gurus, Lanny Chambers, has worked out a really
> nice alignment setup for street Miatas that is a great compromise
> between good handling and wear.
>
> When I bought my first Miata 11 years ago, I had new tires installed and
> his alignment done within the first month. It felt like an entirely
> different and much improved car!
>
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

I haven't had alignment done, but it is on the list of things to do in
the coming months. There is a place I have in mind which is a couple of
hours drive away with a good reputation.

Thanks for the link, it makes interesting reading!

--
Douglas
Old March 21st 10, 07:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Douglas Payne" > wrote in message > Here is a
> pictu
>> http://snipr.com/uyl27
>>
>> To top it all it's poached eggs for tea. Yummy!
>>
>> --
>> Douglas

> Beautiful car, great color! Remind me, what country is it that you are
> driving on the wrong side of the car in?

I live near Aberdeen, in Scotland. (c: Of course I always drive on the
correct side of the road.

--
Douglas
Old March 22nd 10, 07:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
thomas[_4_]

> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>> Beautiful car, great color! Remind me, what country is it that you are
>> driving on the wrong side of the car in?

the wheels on the right side - hence right as opposed to wrong - I will
brook no arguments - unlesss you disagree ofcourse

Old March 22nd 10, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stuart H.[_3_]

On 2010-03-22 1:44 AM, thomas wrote:

>> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>>
>>> Beautiful car, great color! Remind me, what country is it that you
>>> are driving on the wrong side of the car in?

> the wheels on the right side - hence right as opposed to wrong - I will
> brook no arguments - unlesss you disagree ofcourse

I have to agree! RHD is the only way to go.
However there are a few problems driving mine in Canada: drive through
restaurants do not appreciate my going through backwards, and parkades
are a challenge when I have to get out, run around the car, push the
button, get the parking stub, and get back in before the barrier lowers
back down, plus paying at the exit is the similar, and not appreciated
when there is a lineup at the exit.

Stuart H.
'91 Eunos Roadster (JDM)
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Old March 23rd 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"thomas" > wrote in message

>> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>>
>>> Beautiful car, great color! Remind me, what country is it that you are
>>> driving on the wrong side of the car in?

> the wheels on the right side - hence right as opposed to wrong - I will
> brook no arguments - unlesss you disagree ofcourse

Thomas

It's hard to argue with that kind of prose, my friend! Can you translate
'brook no arguments for me please. 'Consider' possibly?

cd
99BBB

money cannot buy happiness madhavan Technology 5 February 21st 08 07:19 PM
Searching for Happiness ? aassime abdellatif Technology 0 December 20th 07 02:14 PM
OT happiness Nate Nagel Driving 3 April 16th 06 09:26 PM
Definition of Happiness Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 10 March 21st 05 09:13 PM