Hard Top OFF!

Old March 20th 10, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stephen Toth[_2_]

Default Hard Top OFF!

In article >, pws
> wrote:

> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> >
> > "pws" > wrote in message news:hnvsk1)
> >>
> >> I am good at hijacking threads......
> >>
> >> The wheels are 16X7's, I am keeping the SSR's if I keep the car. I can
> >> either go with the size you have or go with 215's.
> >>
> >> The current tires are 215/40/1, and I was thinking about taking the
> >> profile to 45 with either 205's or 215's..
> >>
> >> Pat

> > 40 series VS 45 series is a bit of an issue in 205 (and maybe 215)
> > widths. Some mfr's make one but not the other and such.
> >
> > Don't forget to consider my Yokohama Prada Spec2's ! I highly recommend
> > them but I don't remember the cost off the top of my head. I am a cheap
> > bas_ard so, they can't be too high dollar. They are holding up
> > splendidly and they've been on for street and track use.
> >
> > Chris
> > 99BBB

> I don't see the Prada Spec2's in this size at Tire Rack, I need to keep
> looking. They have the hated Sumitomo's for that beckoning price of
> $55.00 each.
>
> Man I hate the Sumitomo HTR's. I can't recommend against them enough.
>
> The tires I have been looking at are the Michelin Pilots, at $138.00
> each. They are pretty...........If the Prada Spec2's are at least $30.00
> cheaper per tire, however, I will probably go with them.
>
> Looks like I need to squeeze $650.00-ish together soon for tires and an
> alignment, then re-insure the thing. Maybe then I can clean it up and
> drive it to Houston.
>
> Pat

I will second the recommendation for Yokohamas.
Have not put the Pradas on anything, but have used their AVID H4s on a
SAAB and very happy with the overall performance and tread life. Not
sure I would put them on a Miata, unless just looking for a commuting
tire.
Had my son get the S.drive for his first generation RX7. I would
consider those for a Miata. Better performance rating than the AVID,
but you lose some tread life.
Had my son get the

--
-------
Stephen Toth
Old March 20th 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Stephen Toth wrote:
> In article >, pws
> > wrote:
>
>> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

>>> 40 series VS 45 series is a bit of an issue in 205 (and maybe 215)
>>> widths. Some mfr's make one but not the other and such.
>>>
>>> Don't forget to consider my Yokohama Prada Spec2's ! I highly recommend
>>> them but I don't remember the cost off the top of my head. I am a cheap
>>> bas_ard so, they can't be too high dollar. They are holding up
>>> splendidly and they've been on for street and track use.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>> 99BBB

>> I don't see the Prada Spec2's in this size at Tire Rack, I need to keep
>> looking. They have the hated Sumitomo's for that beckoning price of
>> $55.00 each.
>>
>> Man I hate the Sumitomo HTR's. I can't recommend against them enough.
>>
>> The tires I have been looking at are the Michelin Pilots, at $138.00
>> each. They are pretty...........If the Prada Spec2's are at least $30.00
>> cheaper per tire, however, I will probably go with them.
>>
>> Looks like I need to squeeze $650.00-ish together soon for tires and an
>> alignment, then re-insure the thing. Maybe then I can clean it up and
>> drive it to Houston.
>>
>> Pat

> I will second the recommendation for Yokohamas.
> Have not put the Pradas on anything, but have used their AVID H4s on a
> SAAB and very happy with the overall performance and tread life. Not
> sure I would put them on a Miata, unless just looking for a commuting
> tire.
> Had my son get the S.drive for his first generation RX7. I would
> consider those for a Miata. Better performance rating than the AVID,
> but you lose some tread life.
> Had my son get the

I guess I should list the expected driving style. The car will never be
driven on ice, and rarely on wet roads.

Tread life, road noise, and long-term comfort are all secondary factors,
dry driving performance is the primary consideration, with initial price
coming in second.

Thanks!

Pat

Old March 21st 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Stephen Toth" > wrote in message > I will second the
recommendation for Yokohamas.
> Have not put the Pradas on anything, but have used their AVID H4s on a
> SAAB and very happy with the overall performance and tread life. Not
> sure I would put them on a Miata, unless just looking for a commuting
> tire.
> Had my son get the S.drive for his first generation RX7. I would
> consider those for a Miata. Better performance rating than the AVID,
> but you lose some tread life.
> Had my son get the
>
> --
> -------
> Stephen Toth
> white '93 220k mi. with the kids
> '06 Galaxy Grey GT 6AT

Steven, I consider the Prada Spec2's serious street performance tires. I've
got many thousands of miles in the Miata with the Falken Azenni's which are
pretty much considered borderline between street and track tires and these
Yoko's (in my opinion) are their equal performance wise. I've even driven
the car with two of each so, I'm not just imagining this. They also are
better in the wet in my opinion even though I do not agree with the Azenni's
bad reputation in the wet, the Yoko's are just better. The Azenni's are 200
treadwear rated, the Yoko's are 300. However, the Yoko's cost more.
Difference for me is that I can live with the Yoko's for street and
autocross where as the Azenni's were pretty harsh on my wife's delicate tush
(causing me to have to get another set of wheels and switch out prior to and
back after autocrosses. Not a small p.i.a. That makes it easy for me. No
more changing out tires for me unless I take the plunge for R compound tires
;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old March 21st 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Tread life, road noise, and long-term comfort are all secondary factors,
> dry driving performance is the primary consideration, with initial price
> coming in second.

Tire Rack sells the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 205/50-16 for
$105. That's a bit large, but by all accounts this tire kicks the
Azenis' butt in every respect. Treadwear rating is 200. If I lived in
your climate, I'd put these on my Miata in a second.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old March 21st 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> Tread life, road noise, and long-term comfort are all secondary factors,
>> dry driving performance is the primary consideration, with initial price
>> coming in second.

> Tire Rack sells the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 205/50-16 for
> $105. That's a bit large, but by all accounts this tire kicks the
> Azenis' butt in every respect. Treadwear rating is 200. If I lived in
> your climate, I'd put these on my Miata in a second.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

I too have heard great things about these Dunlops also. I don't remember
them being available in my size when I bought the Yokos. Maybe it was simply
the 45 VS the 50 series, not sure but I agree that with a limited use car
(Pat has the Honda now) the 200 treadwear rating is not a bad deal.

Chris
99BBB

Old March 21st 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> Tread life, road noise, and long-term comfort are all secondary factors,
>> dry driving performance is the primary consideration, with initial price
>> coming in second.

> Tire Rack sells the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 205/50-16 for
> $105. That's a bit large, but by all accounts this tire kicks the
> Azenis' butt in every respect. Treadwear rating is 200. If I lived in
> your climate, I'd put these on my Miata in a second.

I will check those out. I guess a 50 profile would not be too bad,
especially in a 205 width.

A little extra rubber to protect those pricey forged wheels could be a
very good thing, and I'm sure that it would still handle very nicely.

Thanks!

Pat

Old March 21st 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> pws > wrote:
>>
>>> Tread life, road noise, and long-term comfort are all secondary factors,
>>> dry driving performance is the primary consideration, with initial price
>>> coming in second.

>> Tire Rack sells the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 205/50-16 for
>> $105. That's a bit large, but by all accounts this tire kicks the
>> Azenis' butt in every respect. Treadwear rating is 200. If I lived in
>> your climate, I'd put these on my Miata in a second.
>>
>> --
>> Lanny Chambers
>> St. Louis, MO
>> '94C

> I too have heard great things about these Dunlops also. I don't remember
> them being available in my size when I bought the Yokos. Maybe it was
> simply the 45 VS the 50 series, not sure but I agree that with a limited
> use car (Pat has the Honda now) the 200 treadwear rating is not a bad deal.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Still trying to decide if I am keeping both cars. I don't drive two cars
enough to really justify the double insurance, but I may do it anyway.

The Accord just hit 80,000 miles yesterday. I also found out that it is
an "assembled in Japan" model, and the entire A/C system was replaced in
the summer of 2008.

It should keep going nicely for a long time to come barring any disasters.
I even like the fact that it has an automatic transmission for the crazy
stop and go driving, but I will stay with a 5-speed or 6-speed in any
Miata I own as long as I remain capable of using a stick shift.

Pat
Old March 21st 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

pws wrote:
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>> "Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message

>>> Tire Rack sells the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 205/50-16 for
>>> $105. That's a bit large, but by all accounts this tire kicks the
>>> Azenis' butt in every respect. Treadwear rating is 200. If I lived in
>>> your climate, I'd put these on my Miata in a second.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lanny Chambers
>>> St. Louis, MO
>>> '94C

>> I too have heard great things about these Dunlops also. I don't
>> remember them being available in my size when I bought the Yokos.
>> Maybe it was simply the 45 VS the 50 series, not sure but I agree that
>> with a limited use car (Pat has the Honda now) the 200 treadwear
>> rating is not a bad deal.
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

> Still trying to decide if I am keeping both cars. I don't drive two cars
> enough to really justify the double insurance, but I may do it anyway.
>
> The Accord just hit 80,000 miles yesterday. I also found out that it is
> an "assembled in Japan" model, and the entire A/C system was replaced in
> the summer of 2008.
>
> It should keep going nicely for a long time to come barring any disasters.
> I even like the fact that it has an automatic transmission for the crazy
> stop and go driving, but I will stay with a 5-speed or 6-speed in any
> Miata I own as long as I remain capable of using a stick shift.
>
> Pat

The Accord I have that just turned over 80K miles is a 1995 LX model. I
talked to a guy who owns a 1994 Accord LX with 290,000 miles on the
original engine and transmission.

I am not likely to put that many miles on it, but making it to 150,000
should be a piece of cake.
Old March 23rd 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message
> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>> In article >,
>> pws > wrote:
>>
>>> Tread life, road noise, and long-term comfort are all secondary factors,
>>> dry driving performance is the primary consideration, with initial price
>>> coming in second.

>> Tire Rack sells the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 205/50-16 for
>> $105. That's a bit large, but by all accounts this tire kicks the Azenis'
>> butt in every respect. Treadwear rating is 200. If I lived in your
>> climate, I'd put these on my Miata in a second.

> I will check those out. I guess a 50 profile would not be too bad,
> especially in a 205 width.
>
> A little extra rubber to protect those pricey forged wheels could be a
> very good thing, and I'm sure that it would still handle very nicely.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pat

Agreed!

Chris
99BBB

Old March 30th 10, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:18:24 -0500, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> Tread life, road noise, and long-term comfort are all secondary
>> factors, dry driving performance is the primary consideration, with
>> initial price coming in second.

> Tire Rack sells the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 205/50-16 for
> $105. That's a bit large, but by all accounts this tire kicks the
> Azenis' butt in every respect. Treadwear rating is 200. If I lived in
> your climate, I'd put these on my Miata in a second.

Interesting! I am filing that away as I type.

New Hard TOP for TJ ULB Jeep 4 March 6th 10 05:20 PM
Looking for a hard top jerryg Jeep 1 January 10th 07 08:09 PM
91 hard top on 81? Greg[_1_] Jeep 14 January 2nd 07 11:09 PM
Where can i buy a E46 Hard top from? How much from BMW? [email protected] BMW 2 October 22nd 06 11:54 AM
FS: 67 GTO hard top L0nD0t.$t0we11 General 0 January 24th 04 01:47 AM