How do I determine transmission make & model - in a 1988 C1500 pickup?

Old February 18th 05, 05:14 PM
Gene

Default How do I determine transmission make & model - in a 1988 C1500 pickup?

I am trying to determine the "exact" make & model of
the 5 speed manual transmission that originally came in
our grandson's old 1988 Chevrolet C1500.

Here is all the data that I have:
Make = Chevrolet - 2 wheel drive pickup
Model = C1500
Engine Size = 4.3L - 6 Cylinders
Transmission= 5 speed manual with OD
VIN# = 1GCDC14Z1JZ320562

If anyone knows how to determine the manufacturer of this transmission &
it's model number, please email it to me at:

It would also be great to find a list of autos that GMC (or others)
shipped with "this" transmission installed. That is, "What autos can I
remove a transmission
and install it our1988 C1500 & have it fit properly?"

I can take some photos of the transmission (still in the truck) & email
them to you if that will help.

THANKS,
Gene

Old February 18th 05, 05:25 PM
Mike Romain

I just phoned up GM's 1-800 number and gave them my VIN and they told me
what tranny it originally came with and informed me that my 88 was under
recall for the front lower ball joints and bad A frames they sit in and
to call a dealer to make an appointment for a free fix.

Oh, Chevrolet does not make a C1500 according to the NHTS site....

GMC makes one though.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 19th 05, 03:41 AM
sdlomi2

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> I just phoned up GM's 1-800 number and gave them my VIN and they told me
> what tranny it originally came with and informed me that my 88 was under
> recall for the front lower ball joints and bad A frames they sit in and
> to call a dealer to make an appointment for a free fix.
>
> Oh, Chevrolet does not make a C1500 according to the NHTS site....
>
> GMC makes one though.
>
> Mike

Hey, Mike, didn't Chevy make 2 models in 88--IIRC, that's the year that
early models were like the '87, and mid-year or so, they went to the new
(and some say, not quite so pretty) body style? Just "seems like" I recall
that idiosyncrasy.
We may now ask "So what difference does all this make?" My answer:
"Nothing--just wanted to tell the ONE THING I think I remember"!!! Have a
good 'un! s

Old February 19th 05, 09:42 PM
gfulton

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> I just phoned up GM's 1-800 number and gave them my VIN and they told me
> what tranny it originally came with and informed me that my 88 was under
> recall for the front lower ball joints and bad A frames they sit in and
> to call a dealer to make an appointment for a free fix.

Mike, I'd sure like to know that ph. no. I know I could do an internet
search, but you're right here. I've got a question for them on a '99 Olds.

Thanks,
Garrett Fulton

Old February 22nd 05, 02:20 PM
Gene

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020. Customer
Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to
11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Gene

Old February 22nd 05, 04:46 PM
Mike Romain

800 numbers are actually local and I am in central Canada. I just
looked them up in the phone book....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's