Don't respond to fake tickets from police con men

Old January 5th 05, 07:19 PM
Jim

Default Don't respond to fake tickets from police con men

Don't fall for fake red light camera or speeding tickets, mostly in
California, so far.

The fake red light camera tickets come in the mail, from the police!
Yours will say "Traffic Violation Notice" at the top, and will tell you
that you MUST identify the driver shown in the photo, within ten days.
But these Notices are not a real ticket. The police have not filed them
with the court (no court address on it), and in fact, somewhere on the
back it will say "Do not contact the court." It's a con job to get you
to identify the driver. I recommend that you ignore such a notice - do
not respond to it in any way. For more information, see the Your Ticket
page on the free-of-any-charge website http://www.highwayrobbery.net.

And now, the police-run con job has competition, from the private
sector. It's now been reported that a guy in Southern California is
mailing "Traffic Violation Notices" for speeding, and telling you to
send him $278. I am sure he got the idea by watching the police.

Be careful out there.
Old January 6th 05, 09:59 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Jim" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Don't fall for fake red light camera or speeding tickets, mostly in
> California, so far.
>
> The fake red light camera tickets come in the mail, from the police!
> Yours will say "Traffic Violation Notice" at the top, and will tell you
> that you MUST identify the driver shown in the photo, within ten days.
> But these Notices are not a real ticket. The police have not filed them
> with the court (no court address on it), and in fact, somewhere on the
> back it will say "Do not contact the court." It's a con job to get you
> to identify the driver. I recommend that you ignore such a notice - do
> not respond to it in any way. For more information, see the Your Ticket
> page on the free-of-any-charge website http://www.highwayrobbery.net.

It is important to understand that these laws are applicable by the
state. What is on this website may be applicable to California but
only there.

In Oregon, for example, the State Legislature mandates that any
city, county or other traffic jurisdiction that hands out photo tickets
must explain to the person they are mailing the ticket to that if
they aren't the driver they are not required to identify the actual
driver. They also mandate that if the actual driver is identified by
the accused that the traffic jurisdiction is not allowed to prosecute
based on that, and they require photo tickets to be mailed with a
certificate of
innocence that the person can fill out and send back, if this is
filled out and signed by the accused, the ticket is invalidated, end
of story.

What we ended up doing with our vehicles is I titled the car that I
normally drive with my wife's name, and titled the car that she
normally drives with my name. As a result if we get caught in
photo radar (which has happened to us a couple times) they
always ticket the wrong driver, thus we always get out of the tickets.

Ted

Old January 6th 05, 12:30 PM
Ed Price

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> "Jim" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> Don't fall for fake red light camera or speeding tickets, mostly in
>> California, so far.
>>
>> The fake red light camera tickets come in the mail, from the police!
>> Yours will say "Traffic Violation Notice" at the top, and will tell you
>> that you MUST identify the driver shown in the photo, within ten days.
>> But these Notices are not a real ticket. The police have not filed them
>> with the court (no court address on it), and in fact, somewhere on the
>> back it will say "Do not contact the court." It's a con job to get you
>> to identify the driver. I recommend that you ignore such a notice - do
>> not respond to it in any way. For more information, see the Your Ticket
>> page on the free-of-any-charge website http://www.highwayrobbery.net.
>>

> It is important to understand that these laws are applicable by the
> state. What is on this website may be applicable to California but
> only there.
>
> In Oregon, for example, the State Legislature mandates that any
> city, county or other traffic jurisdiction that hands out photo tickets
> must explain to the person they are mailing the ticket to that if
> they aren't the driver they are not required to identify the actual
> driver. They also mandate that if the actual driver is identified by
> the accused that the traffic jurisdiction is not allowed to prosecute
> based on that, and they require photo tickets to be mailed with a
> certificate of
> innocence that the person can fill out and send back, if this is
> filled out and signed by the accused, the ticket is invalidated, end
> of story.
>
> What we ended up doing with our vehicles is I titled the car that I
> normally drive with my wife's name, and titled the car that she
> normally drives with my name. As a result if we get caught in
> photo radar (which has happened to us a couple times) they
> always ticket the wrong driver, thus we always get out of the tickets.
>
> Ted

It's good to see that you have found a way to preserve your dangerous
driving techniques.

Ed