Car just clicks when I try to start it

Old September 30th 04, 02:33 PM
Wilt

Default Car just clicks when I try to start it

Hi
I know NOTHING about cars. When I goto start my car I just get successive
clicking. I have turned everything off and still get the same thing. This
happened the other night, I turned everything off and it started. Do I
just need a jump? Or is it something more serious. I put a new battery in
less than a month ago, when my last one blew up. How can I tell if it is
an alternator problem? And if it is, what should I expect to pay for
that. Any help would be appreciated. NISSAN Xterra 2000 V-6

Old September 30th 04, 04:05 PM
Mike Romain

Who ever ripped you off for you battery now wants to rip you off for an
alternator likely.

99% chance you just needed all the cables cleaned.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 30th 04, 06:30 PM
Roger Brown

HarryS wrote:

> "Wilt" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > Hi
> > I know NOTHING about cars. When I goto start my car I just get successive
> > clicking. I have turned everything off and still get the same thing.
> > This
> > happened the other night, I turned everything off and it started. Do I
> > just need a jump? Or is it something more serious. I put a new battery in
> > less than a month ago, when my last one blew up. How can I tell if it is
> > an alternator problem? And if it is, what should I expect to pay for
> > that. Any help would be appreciated. NISSAN Xterra 2000 V-6
> >

> If your last battery blew-up your alternator is probably over charging and
> if you did not have it tested at your local Auto Zone (for free) your
> charging system may have now failed completely. I do not know if Nissan
> still uses an external voltage regulator or if it is combined with the
> alternator. Most of all the newer autos today have every thing built into
> the alternator and the charging system is computer controlled based on
> demand.

If you are able to do some simple tests, you can refer to my page for
some troubleshooting tips to help diagnose the starting problem:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
Assuming the battery voltage is good, the alternator should have no
impact on starting, since the engine is obviously not running while
starting and thus the alternator is not turning. Of course if it has a
bad diode or internal short, then of course that could be discharging
the battery.

--
Roger
Old September 30th 04, 08:47 PM
Wilt

did not replace it anytime recently. I myself decided to replace the
battery and again, it started up fine after that and no problems since
then.
Thanks for the advice Roger, I will check this out. Again I dont know
cars and I hate them, so we will see what happens, I have an appointment
at a garage on Sat. Will I hurt anything by trying to jump the car, or is
that not really going to do anything anyway?

Old October 1st 04, 02:26 AM
Wilt

After having a neighbor give me a hand, we discovered that the cables were
not connected tightly to the battery. After tightening them is started
fine. However, should I still have it looked at since my battery blew up
on me before. Less than a month ago. But has been fine since then.
Thanks

Old October 1st 04, 03:50 PM
Mike Romain

You are sure describing how dirty/loose connections affect a car.

When you say your battery 'blew up' what do you mean?

If you mean that literally, then a loose connection could be to blame.
The loose contact makes spark. Sparks can explode a battery.

Dirty connections won't allow the battery to charge so it can appear to
have a low battery problem.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 2nd 04, 04:03 PM