2009 Audi's with manual gearbox

Old November 21st 08, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Thompson

Default 2009 Audi's with manual gearbox

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Dano58 wrote:

> Steve, you need to wait for the 2.0T, which should be available with
> the 6-speed manual and/or DSG automated manual transmission. No idea
> when it will be available.

Does the 2.0T have enough power for a car of that size and weight?

When I bought my current 2002 3.0 V6 A4Q, I also test drove the 2002 1.8T
A4, having previously also test driven the 2001 1.8T and 2001 3.0V6.
Whereas the 2001 1.8T was fine, power-wise, compared to the 2001 V6, I
didn't think that the same was true for the 2002 models, which were
heavier. Obviously the current 2.0T has more power than the 1.8T did, but
the car is now even heavier. I haven't driven either 2009 A4 yet ('cos
they're not sticks!).

I've also driven a 2009 A5 with DSG, and, while the car is gorgeous, I
didn't really care for the transmission; certainly not enough to put down
$52K US on it. I need a clutch pedal! My dealer has an A5 with stick shift
on the way and is going to call me when it comes in; I'll report back
after a suitable flogging.

Steve
Old November 24th 08, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave[_42_]

>> Steve, you need to wait for the 2.0T, which should be available with
>> the 6-speed manual and/or DSG automated manual transmission. No idea
>> when it will be available.

> Does the 2.0T have enough power for a car of that size and weight?
>
> When I bought my current 2002 3.0 V6 A4Q, I also test drove the 2002 1.8T
> A4, having previously also test driven the 2001 1.8T and 2001 3.0V6.
> Whereas the 2001 1.8T was fine, power-wise, compared to the 2001 V6, I
> didn't think that the same was true for the 2002 models, which were
> heavier. Obviously the current 2.0T has more power than the 1.8T did, but
> the car is now even heavier. I haven't driven either 2009 A4 yet ('cos
> they're not sticks!).
>
> I've also driven a 2009 A5 with DSG, and, while the car is gorgeous, I
> didn't really care for the transmission; certainly not enough to put down
> $52K US on it. I need a clutch pedal! My dealer has an A5 with stick shift
> on the way and is going to call me when it comes in; I'll report back
> after a suitable flogging.

2.0T has something like 211bhp which should be enough for a decent turn of
speed. I'm also pretty sure that the B8 A4 is lighter than the outgoing
model.

Old November 25th 08, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Nov 21, 6:16*pm, Steve Thompson > wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Dano58 wrote:
> > Steve, you need to wait for the 2.0T, which should be available with
> > the 6-speed manual and/or DSG automated manual transmission. No idea
> > when it will be available.

> Does the 2.0T have enough power for a car of that size and weight?
>
> When I bought my current 2002 3.0 V6 A4Q, I also test drove the 2002 1.8T
> A4, having previously also test driven the 2001 1.8T and 2001 3.0V6.
> Whereas the 2001 1.8T was fine, power-wise, compared to the 2001 V6, I
> didn't think that the same was true for the 2002 models, which were
> heavier. Obviously the current 2.0T has more power than the 1.8T did, but
> the car is now even heavier. I haven't driven either 2009 A4 yet ('cos
> they're not sticks!).
>
> I've also driven a 2009 A5 with DSG, and, while the car is gorgeous, I
> didn't really care for the transmission; certainly not enough to put down
> $52K US on it. I need a clutch pedal! My dealer has an A5 with stick shift
> on the way and is going to call me when it comes in; I'll report back
> after a suitable flogging.
>
> Steve

I've had loaners with the 2.0T and Tiptronic and thought it had plenty
of pick-up for that car - it would certainly feel better with a manual
transmission. I wish I could get the extra ponies for my 1.8T (yeah, I
know, I could easily chip it). Unless you're a horsepower freak, I
think the 2.0T is a GREAT combination of power and economy, especially
with the manual.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA