"Humans 'very likely' making earth warmer" is wrong

Old February 9th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
The Real Bev

Default "Humans 'very likely' making earth warmer" is wrong

Joe Fischer wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:04:06 +1100, "Rod Speed"
> > wrote:
>
>> Now that north american society has little use for the totally unskilled
>> who dont want to work,

> How many can there be, with a 4.5 percent
> unemployment rate, and 3.0 percent means everybody
> holds a job for 3 years and takes 4 or 5 weeks to
> find another job.

The unemployment statistics exclude prisoners, the military, housewives,
people who have exhausted their unemployment benefits, people who may be
unemployed but are NOT looking for work [including welfare recipients],
people in hospitals, students, children, retirees, ...

Anybody know the REAL percentage of non-workers?

--
Cheers, Bev
===================================
Old February 9th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
George Grapman

Default Whoever is not fit to drive stick, should ride a bike

Bill Baka wrote:> Rod Speed wrote:
>> Bill Baka > wrote:
>>> Impractical is a stick in San Francisco. They put stop signs at the
>>> top of a hill and unless you have a hand operated emergency brake you
>>> can roll back and get the car behind you. That's the one place where
>>> I don't want to have a stick.

>> Your gross incompetance is your problem, as always.
>>

> Should I even bother with assholes?
> Or should I be nice and just call you an idiot who has never tried a
> stick in S.F.???
> Try it,then bitch about it.
> It can be done with a foot emergency brake but you have to pull the
> release at the same time as letting out the clutch and giving it gas,
> while wearing out the release mechanism.
>
> Or maybe you have 3 feet, no doubt all of them left.
>
> Only those who have driven S.F. know what I mean.
>
> Reply to jerk mode off.
>
> Bill Baka

It is doable but requires thinking and common sense.
The upside was the mileage in 5th gear on freeways.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Old February 9th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
The Real Bev

Joe Fischer wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:55:47 -0800, The Real Bev
> > wrote:
>
>> My grandkids live in an affluent (not rich, but containing mostly those
>> monster tract homes that are going for $3/4 million now) district.

> Know any more jokes, the average home in the
> US is worth about $60,000, so maybe $750,000 homes
> should be called rich.

Not in Southern California. Even in poor communities, the median home
price is around $500K. That just reflects the price of those homes that
were sold within the last accounting period (month?), but is useful for
comparison purposes.

Check www.zillow.com for home prices. Ours, a dump 1/4 mile from the
freweay on-ramp, is estimated at $500K. My son's house, an ordinary
3-br 1200SF house, is now worth more than double the $250K he paid for
it in 2000.

--
Cheers, Bev
===================================
Old February 9th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Bill Baka

George Grapman wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:> Rod Speed wrote:
>>>
>>> Your gross incompetance is your problem, as always.
>>>

>> Should I even bother with assholes?
>> Or should I be nice and just call you an idiot who has never tried a
>> stick in S.F.???
>> Try it,then bitch about it.
>> It can be done with a foot emergency brake but you have to pull the
>> release at the same time as letting out the clutch and giving it gas,
>> while wearing out the release mechanism.
>>
>> Or maybe you have 3 feet, no doubt all of them left.
>>
>> Only those who have driven S.F. know what I mean.
>>
>> Reply to jerk mode off.
>>
>> Bill Baka
>>

> It is doable but requires thinking and common sense.
> The upside was the mileage in 5th gear on freeways.

I have done it and my favorite cars for doing it were VWs and Renaults,
both of which had hand operated emergency brakes. One time with an
American car and a foot brake and I swore off sticks. There was an old
skit by Cheech and Chong (I think) about losing it on one of those
famous hills and rolling backwards into the bay. That thought was in my
head when I came to those absurd stop signs where you had to start up
again on a 15% or greater hill. What really got me was that the street
you were stopping for was dead level, then uphill to the next stop sign.
I wonder if it is feasible for a sane person to ride a bicycle there
without getting fried by all the ups and downs.

I am on the bicycles group, after all.
Bill Baka
Old February 9th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
George Grapman

Bill Baka wrote:
> George Grapman wrote:

>>> Should I even bother with assholes?
>>> Or should I be nice and just call you an idiot who has never tried a
>>> stick in S.F.???
>>> Try it,then bitch about it.
>>> It can be done with a foot emergency brake but you have to pull the
>>> release at the same time as letting out the clutch and giving it gas,
>>> while wearing out the release mechanism.
>>>
>>> Or maybe you have 3 feet, no doubt all of them left.
>>>
>>> Only those who have driven S.F. know what I mean.
>>>
>>> Reply to jerk mode off.
>>>
>>> Bill Baka
>>>

>> It is doable but requires thinking and common sense.
>> The upside was the mileage in 5th gear on freeways.
>>

> I have done it and my favorite cars for doing it were VWs and Renaults,
> both of which had hand operated emergency brakes. One time with an
> American car and a foot brake and I swore off sticks. There was an old
> skit by Cheech and Chong (I think) about losing it on one of those
> famous hills and rolling backwards into the bay. That thought was in my
> head when I came to those absurd stop signs where you had to start up
> again on a 15% or greater hill. What really got me was that the street
> you were stopping for was dead level, then uphill to the next stop sign.
> I wonder if it is feasible for a sane person to ride a bicycle there
> without getting fried by all the ups and downs.
>
> I am on the bicycles group, after all.
> Bill Baka

A few times my clutch was on its last legs and I needed to wait a few
weeks before replacing it. I learned that the shortest distance between
to points i not always a straight line.
I had one route that worked fine except for a one block hill. Had to
time it so as soon as the light turned green I could go up the hill and
make a right turn. A few times a car pulling out of a driveway foiled
my plan.
Once I had to go to San Rafael and had to do Bay Bridge/Richmond Bridge.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Old February 9th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Rod Speed[_1_]

Bill Baka > wrote:
> adm wrote:
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:55:47 -0800, The Real Bev

>>> Unfortunately that would appear to be a smart thing to plan for
>>> considering the number of actual incidents. Back when we were kids
>>> we had those idiot abomb drills. Climb under the desk and put your
>>> head between your legs. And, as the precocious kids added, kiss
>>> your ass goodbye.

>> Do you not think that making weapons far harder to get hold of might
>> help a bit ?
>>

> No. There would just be a black market for guns. We just need to get
> rid of some people and maybe arrest them before the fact. Many times
> the shooter has had a history of animal abuse or other signs that he
> is whacko, and the police never put 2 and 2 together.

Trouble is the huge numbers who abuse animals and who never gun down kids in schools.

Old February 9th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Bill Baka wrote:

> Impractical is a stick in San Francisco. They put stop signs at the top
> of a hill and unless you have a hand operated emergency brake you can
> roll back and get the car behind you. That's the one place where I don't
> want to have a stick.

After being hit a few times maybe people would get the message and not
stop 2 inches behind someone

Old February 9th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
The Real Bev

Rod Speed wrote:
> The Real Bev > wrote
>> Bill Baka wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>> They've been complaining about crowded schools since I was a child.

> They have indeed.
>
>> We managed to learn to read even in what I discovered later was a lower-middle-class school with
>> 35 students in each class.

> Yep, and plenty of the catholic systemic schools managed
> to do that with even higher numbers per class too.

Yeah, but they could threaten the kids with eternal damnation if they
behaved badly. The worst public schools can do is put an entry in your
permanent record.

>> Between then and now, something has gone wrong with either teaching or teachers

> Nope, the real problem is the parents.

Not necessarily. When I was a kid parents were actively discouraged
from involving themselves in their children's education -- "Let the
experts take care of it." I'm glad I learned to read before I started
school, and we made sure our kids could too.

> You still see the kids of asian immigrants learning to read fine today.
>
> Essentially because their parents make sure they do.

Yes. OTOH, when the teachers are primarily concerned with keeping their
jobs, working less and being paid more, the involvement of
marginally-literate immigrant parents can't do an awful lot. I blame
the unions for making it impossible to weed out the incompetents.

> And it aint just reading either, its their school results in general too.
>
>> and it has nothing to do with the number of kids/class.

> Indeed.
>
> There can be a problem with a class full of the absolute dregs
> of society who have no interest in learning anything and who are
> only interested in stopping anyone else from learning anything tho.

Everybody who cares and can afford it sends their kids to private
school. The public schools have what's left. There's currently a plan
afoot to establish a magnet school for outside-the-district "problem"
children (physically/mentally/economically/morally disadvantaged) as a
way of raising money, which, if current practices are followed, will be
spent on resort "retreats" for school management.

The board of education, after extending his contract for two years,
fired the superintendent a few months later -- seems he plagiarized a
document he found on the net, giving the impression that a
frequently-used statement was invented by himself. Since he had sued
his previous school district, the board of education paid him his
excpected salary plus something extra if he promised not to sue.

I've never seen a more compelling argument for "throw the *******s out."

The teachers are no better, just paid less.

--
Cheers, Bev
===================================
Old February 9th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Rod Speed[_1_]

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

> Or should I be nice and just call you an idiot who has never tried a stick in S.F.???

But have done it fine in places much worse than that thanks.

> Try it,

Been doing that since before you were even born thanks.

In grossly underpowered cars too.

> then bitch about it.

Nothing to bitch about.

> It can be done with a foot emergency brake but you have to pull the
> release at the same time as letting out the clutch and giving it gas,

Completely routine for anyone but a complete incompetant.

> while wearing out the release mechanism.

Just another pig ignorant fantasy. Never ever wore out any of mine.

SF aint the only place that hilly, ****wit.

Old February 9th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Rod Speed[_1_]

George Grapman > wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:> Rod Speed wrote:
>>>
>>> Your gross incompetance is your problem, as always.
>>>

>> Should I even bother with assholes?
>> Or should I be nice and just call you an idiot who has never tried a
>> stick in S.F.???
>> Try it,then bitch about it.
>> It can be done with a foot emergency brake but you have to pull the
>> release at the same time as letting out the clutch and giving it gas,
>> while wearing out the release mechanism.
>>
>> Or maybe you have 3 feet, no doubt all of them left.
>>
>> Only those who have driven S.F. know what I mean.
>>
>> Reply to jerk mode off.

> It is doable but requires thinking and common sense.

And thats why that clown cant manage it.

> The upside was the mileage in 5th gear on freeways.

And the lower purchase price too.

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Off Topic - Father of Earth Day Dies BillyRay Jeep 0 July 3rd 05 05:40 PM