f350 ford auto locking hubs

Old November 30th 04, 02:21 AM
dan

Default f350 ford auto locking hubs

I have a 1999 f350 with auto locking hubs. Recently I put it in 4 wh
drive.Since I've taken it out of 4wh , at least one wheel is still
locked. I've tried shifting in and out but it is still locked. I know
they work via a vacuum solenoid. Is there some way to narrow down the
problem and fix it myself.
Old November 30th 04, 05:41 AM
fanie

Did you try to reverse a few meters (yards) after disengaging as usually
this will release any tension and free the dog clutches.

Regards
Stephen

m...

Old November 30th 04, 04:58 PM
Refinish_King1

The vacuum pulls the hub lock in:

Try engaging the 4WD and disengaging it while backing up. If it releases
after a try or two, you'll need to disassemble the hub, repack the bearings
and clean inspect the hubs for worn seals, dirt and bearing material.
Replace any worn parts and they will work as good as new.

Refinish King

m...

Old December 1st 04, 01:28 AM
dan

I've tried the normal unlock then backup , also tried unlocking while
backing up. Still no differance. Is there a standard method for
troubleshooting the rrelay that unlocks the hubs. This happened before
, I took it to ford and it cost me over 1000.00 so if I can fix it
myself I'd much rather. I know I'm capable of doing the work once I
figure out what the work is.
Old December 2nd 04, 06:42 PM
Refinish_King1

Vacuum applies the hub:

So disengagement problems are strictly associated with either: Vacuum not
releasing, or sludge in the housing. I've had several apart, and I've seen
several damaged by moisture and water infiltration, and just plain old
shrapnel accumulation.

Disconnecting the vacuum lines when they hubs don't release is the best test
method I've found. Which isolates the vacuum system.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

om...

Old January 8th 05, 03:15 AM
Rick Colombo

I don't know S#^T about vacuum hubs, but if only one is engaged then I
don't see the problem. If your t-case has disengaged, then there's no
power to that wheel, so forget about it. Heck even if one front wheel
is turning, so what, you can't damage anything unless both are turning.
-PapaRick

Old January 8th 05, 03:19 PM
tom

dump the auto lock hubs, and put on a set of warn manual hubs, and your
troubles will be over

91 Explorer auto hubs Rodger 4x4 0 March 24th 04 02:11 AM
Replacing Auto Hubs with Warn Lockouts Darin 4x4 2 December 24th 03 06:33 AM