loud L300 wagon engine fan

Old April 18th 05, 09:15 PM
Art

Default loud L300 wagon engine fan

In hot weather the engine compartment fan used either for the radiator
cooling or ac system is very loud from outside the car with the hood down.
It is a 2004 with only 3000 miles on it. My dad's car and he is hard of
hearing so he doesn't even realize it. I noticed it last summer and again
now that the weather is getting hot this summer. Anyone know if it is
normal for this car or should I get it checked for him. He is quite old and
I usually get these things done for him. Thanks.

Old April 18th 05, 10:54 PM
Oppie

As I understand, the fan speed varies with engine temp. I have the '01 lw300
and have never even heard the fan running (it's been quiet).
Possibilities on your dad's car are a defective fan (out of balance or bad
bearing) or a defective fan control module (cases fan to run at full speed
when it doesn't have to). It's tough to get to the fans but inspect to see
if something got stuck in the blade or a blade is broken that would affect
balance. See how much bearing play is in the fan. Should be almost nothing.
BE CAREFUL - Fans can start at any time. If in doubt pull the electrical
connection when near blades.

ink.net...

Old April 20th 05, 06:08 PM
McCroskey

> Guestwrote:

> As I understand, the fan speed varies with engine temp. I have the

'01 lw300
> and have never even heard the fan running (it's been quiet).
> Possibilities on your dad's car are a defective fan (out of

balance or bad
> bearing) or a defective fan control module (cases fan to run at full

speed
> when it doesn't have to). It's tough to get to the fans but inspect

to see
> if something got stuck in the blade or a blade is broken that would

affect
> balance. See how much bearing play is in the fan. Should be almost

nothing.
> BE CAREFUL - Fans can start at any time. If in doubt pull the

electrical
> connection when near blades.
>
> "Art" <begunaNOSPAMPLEASE_no_spam_AT_mindspring.com>

wrote in message

news:izU8e.9645$go4.7535_no_spam_AT_newsread2.news .atl.earthlink.net...
> In hot weather the engine compartment fan used either for the

radiator
> cooling or ac system is very loud from outside the car with the hood

down.
> It is a 2004 with only 3000 miles on it. My dad's car and he is

hard of
> hearing so he doesn't even realize it. I noticed it last summer and

again
> now that the weather is getting hot this summer. Anyone know if it

is
> normal for this car or should I get it checked for him. He is quite

old
> and I usually get these things done for him. Thanks.

[/quote:30a0135c26]

It's not normal for that car. The bearings in the fan are bad, or
it's rubbing the shroud.

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------
---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---