For all of the "speeding is safer" advocates out there...

Old December 14th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
jaybird

Default For all of the "speeding is safer" advocates out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-G0eBxhv4

--
---
jaybird

"If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed;
if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed."
- Mark Twain

Old December 14th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, jaybird wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-G0eBxhv4

I already debunked this when Carl posted it. Here it is again:

This is the most skewed thing I've seen in ages. Notice how they have the
faster car impact the tail edge frame of the truck into the soft parts of
the car up high. Strong part of the truck, weak part of the car and fully
bi-passing all of the car's crash protection and structure (except the
A-pillar). The slow car hits the truck in the center into anti-underride
device, nice and square the full width of the bumper. (had it been in
the US, this car would have gone under the truck's cargo area and had
the windshield and roof caved in by the frame of the truck. Even at 5kph
the driver could have been seriously hurt.) The 'slow' car has full
benefit of it's structure and crash protection. Then we are supposed to
pretend the difference in damage is all because of 'speed'.

This professor clearly has a strong bias, that is if he is a professor at
all. The uneducated sheeple might swallow the dramatic difference in
damage, but here in r.a.d, we know a little more and notice such things.

Should really do somehing similiar, but give one car upgraded brakes.
After all, imagine if the slower car had lesser brakes... it could have
been going the same speed as the faster one at impact.

Beyond that, so you're telling me the 80mph that is 'safe' on
lonely interstates in TX is dangerous on lonely interstates in IL,
despite both interstates being designed and built to the same standards?

We both know it's absurd, and the only difference is the revenue hunger
of the respective state governments.

Old December 14th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >,
"jaybird" > wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-G0eBxhv4

A completely contrive and unrealistic scenario is important, how?

--
'It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix.'
"It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix'
Old December 14th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
jaybird

"Alan Baker" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-G0eBxhv4

> A completely contrive and unrealistic scenario is important, how?

Hehe.... It's like poking an ant mound....

I'll bet there'll be a list straight down from my post from just about every
regular in r.a.d. by tomorrow night.

--
---
jaybird

Old December 14th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), jaybird said in
rec.autos.driving:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-G0eBxhv4

Go to hell, Car..... Oh, its just you, jaybird.

Jaybird, if you are going to troll, atleast come up with something
original.

Now, for my comment on the video, I found it quite amusing. Now had the
cars been going 55 instead of 65/60, then the accident might not have
happened. Had they been going 100 they might have passed the
intersection before the tractor trailer got there - presuming a real
life situation and not a contrived scenario. Now, as for the -heavily
edited - video (interesting how the announcer is able to walk among
speeding cars with no reaction from the drivers) the whole thing was set
up for an accident. Therefore to me, the whole slow = safe message as
presented by the video is a fraud.

How come we don't hear anything from you or the announcer about the
truck's failure to yield right of way?

--
N ational
F ascism
Old December 14th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), jaybird said in
rec.autos.driving:

> "Alan Baker" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "jaybird" > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-G0eBxhv4

> > A completely contrive and unrealistic scenario is important, how?

> Hehe.... It's like poking an ant mound....
>
> I'll bet there'll be a list straight down from my post from just about every
> regular in r.a.d. by tomorrow night.

So you are confessing to trolling?

--
"You can't legislate away people's right to be assholes!"
--Wesley Snipes as Simon Phoenix
Old December 14th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
jaybird

"necromancer" > wrote in message
th.net...
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), jaybird said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-G0eBxhv4

> Go to hell, Car..... Oh, its just you, jaybird.
>
> Jaybird, if you are going to troll, atleast come up with something
> original.

Ehhh... Just think of it as my Christmas present to all.

--
---
jaybird

Old December 14th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
jaybird

"necromancer" > wrote in message
th.net...
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), jaybird said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>>
>> "Alan Baker" > wrote in message

>> > A completely contrive and unrealistic scenario is important, how?

>> Hehe.... It's like poking an ant mound....
>>
>> I'll bet there'll be a list straight down from my post from just about
>> every
>> regular in r.a.d. by tomorrow night.

> So you are confessing to trolling?

As my primary intention.... no, I wouldn't say that I posted it for
primarily that purpose. I just knew the reaction to expect. Remember that
my point of view is in the minority in this particular newsgroup.

--
---
jaybird

Old December 14th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >,
"jaybird" > wrote:

> "Alan Baker" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "jaybird" > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-G0eBxhv4

> > A completely contrive and unrealistic scenario is important, how?

> Hehe.... It's like poking an ant mound....

If by that you mean you might win an argument if you had it with ants,
you might be right.

> I'll bet there'll be a list straight down from my post from just about every
> regular in r.a.d. by tomorrow night.

Wow: people on a group for discussing driving who discuss driving!

What *will* they think of next?

Old December 14th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Alan Baker said in
rec.autos.driving:
> In article >,
> "jaybird" > wrote:
>
> > "Alan Baker" > wrote in message

> > > A completely contrive and unrealistic scenario is important, how?

> > Hehe.... It's like poking an ant mound....

> If by that you mean you might win an argument if you had it with ants,
> you might be right.
>

> > I'll bet there'll be a list straight down from my post from just about every
> > regular in r.a.d. by tomorrow night.

> Wow: people on a group for discussing driving who discuss driving!
>
> What *will* they think of next?

Maybe a people on a group for discussing automobile driving who discuss
automobile driving? Sorry, couldn't resist the alure of making a mini
cascade of this.

--
"Now, if all you can send is a dollar or two
There ain't a hell of alot I can promise to you