rFactor - formatting HD?

Old September 26th 05, 04:39 PM
Badlands

Default rFactor - formatting HD?

Well, if I have to format my HD, do I need to buy it again?

Old September 26th 05, 04:50 PM
Remco Moedt

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:39:02 GMT, "Badlands"
> wrote:

>Well, if I have to format my HD, do I need to buy it again?

No.

Use your activationcode you got when you bought your copy of rFactor.
If you don't have this code, get it from Trymedia.

http://csc.trymedia.com/?ref=trymedia

Just type the emailaddress you entered when you ordered rFactor, and
you'll get your activationcode. It worked for me....

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 26th 05, 04:56 PM
Steve Whitty

"Remco Moedt" <no@email> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:39:02 GMT, "Badlands"
> > wrote:
>
>>Well, if I have to format my HD, do I need to buy it again?

> No.
>
> Use your activationcode you got when you bought your copy of rFactor.
> If you don't have this code, get it from Trymedia.
>
> http://csc.trymedia.com/?ref=trymedia
>
> Just type the emailaddress you entered when you ordered rFactor, and
> you'll get your activationcode. It worked for me....
>
> Cheers!
>

> Remco

before you format, back up this file :\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\Trymedia

after formatting, and reinstalling of windoze put that file back in place
and reinstall rF.

its been posted over at rsc by one of the devs.

cheers

steve

Old September 26th 05, 05:27 PM
Peter

2005-09-26, Steve Whitty wrote:

> before you format, back up this file :\Documents and Settings\All
> Users\Application Data\Trymedia

Mine is in: Documents and Settings/All Users.WINDOWS/Application Data/Trymedia

and it's a directory (I'm logged in in Linux at the moment, but):

localhost Trymedia # ls -lR
..:
total 4
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Sep 10 19:28 data
dr-x------ 1 root root 0 Sep 2 22:06 licenses

../data:
total 0
-r-------- 2 root root 113 Sep 25 21:10 {0B5610B2-43F6-7585-538A-07AC74A455B4}
-r-------- 2 root root 113 Sep 25 21:10 {695EBE7F-7136-C6CF-7FCB-B84EA0E78DD4}
-r-------- 2 root root 113 Sep 24 23:29 {8A0DBA3A-A91F-F66F-33BB-AB01ED6FBFCF}
-r-------- 2 root root 113 Sep 25 21:10 {EEA496E1-1157-25B0-1409-B24EA01EE99C}
-r-------- 2 root root 113 Sep 25 21:10 {FE424AC1-A140-0360-4AE3-E546044FEA76}

../licenses:
total 28
-r-------- 2 root root 24577 Sep 2 22:01 d27248b8604abd930ed681c3033da219.lcn

-peter
Old September 26th 05, 05:49 PM
Andi Cole

I'm thinking an email would be easier ;-)

Andi.

Old September 26th 05, 06:07 PM
Peter

2005-09-26, Andi Cole wrote:
> I'm thinking an email would be easier ;-)

:-))

-peter

Old September 27th 05, 06:52 AM
Steve Whitty

"Peter" > wrote in message
> 2005-09-26, Andi Cole wrote:
>> I'm thinking an email would be easier ;-)

> :-))
>
> -peter

can't see why. you copy a file to somewhere for safe keeping before format.
after format, copy and paste that file back to its original place. 10
seconds. no different than saving your player file and records for any
other game, before reformat.

cheers

steve

Old September 28th 05, 02:14 PM
John Smith

"Steve Whitty" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message
>> 2005-09-26, Andi Cole wrote:
>>> I'm thinking an email would be easier ;-)

>> :-))
>>
>> -peter

> can't see why. you copy a file to somewhere for safe keeping before
> format. after format, copy and paste that file back to its original place.
> 10 seconds. no different than saving your player file and records for any
> other game, before reformat.
>
> cheers
>
> steve

has anyone used more than 3 unlocks, and if so did you get charged? Also
will the fix above work without any problems online and for more than 3
unlocks?

Old September 28th 05, 02:50 PM
Steve Whitty

"John Smith" > wrote in message

> "Steve Whitty" > wrote in message

>>> :-))
>>>
>>> -peter

>> can't see why. you copy a file to somewhere for safe keeping before
>> format. after format, copy and paste that file back to its original
>> place. 10 seconds. no different than saving your player file and records
>> for any other game, before reformat.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> steve
>>

> has anyone used more than 3 unlocks, and if so did you get charged? Also
> will the fix above work without any problems online and for more than 3
> unlocks?

Its well documented over at RSC, in replies by the devs, that you don't get
charged for the next lot of unlocks.

its quite a painless process. if you know you're going to format, and if
you don't want to back up the mentioned files first, and know you're going
to need the new keys, email trymedia before hand and be ready. once the new
code email arrives, reformat. when installing rf, it'll go through to the
purchase page, and there will be a selection there of "already purchased" or
similar. then its a matter of entering the new code and your in the game
again.

its not that much different than the way that LFS does it, except theirs is
automated. but you only get 3 unlocks for the month or something like
that. if you were like me and had major pc probs and used all those, had to
sit out for a little while.

you have purchased the game. it is yours to play. no-one will force you to
pay for more codes. the limited codes allowed before requesting more is to
stop people distributing their codes, and then requesting more every couple
of days.

cheers

steve

cheers

steve

Old September 28th 05, 03:29 PM
Peter

2005-09-28, Steve Whitty wrote:

>[...}
> you have purchased the game. it is yours to play. no-one will force you to

The problems with these stupid codes is that it is not ours to play...
Making back-ups of licence directories, being afraid that ones system
breaks down,... Once I've purchased the game I don't want to have to deal
with them anymore. (rant rant rant). I didn't even get a code when I
bought the game, and had to start emailing Trymedia. The system doesn't
even work properly.

> pay for more codes. the limited codes allowed before requesting more is to
> stop people distributing their codes, and then requesting more every couple
> of days.

So they can make the decision that I'm asking too many codes in case of
system trouble, &c. and not hand out more? "...ours to play" indeed.

-peter