Oversized brakes

Old May 15th 05, 10:34 PM
351CJ

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> You forgot to mention that none of them are offered with a manual
> transmission and a turbo diesel engine.

2002 Ford Taurus SEL's were offered with a manual transmission and a turbo
diesel engine???

Old May 15th 05, 10:36 PM
351CJ

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> It's a BMW and so it will by default cost big bucks to purchase used.
> It will also cost an arm and a leg to insure and to repair once
> anything goes awry.
>
> Does it have a high compression engine? Does it require 92 octane
> gasoline? Gas or diesel?

Your comments about the BMW are not based in fact.

Old May 16th 05, 04:22 PM
Larry Bud

> I'm a nature lover yet I don't consider myself a tree hugger and/or
an
> environmentalist. Yet bear in mind that if every one of those 100
> million cars in North America spilled a single drop of oil on the
> highway, that would equate 100 million drops of motor oil flushing

down
> the storm drains and into all of our oceans, rivers, lakes, and
> aquifers. Tell me something, do you want motor oil mixed into your

tap
> water every time you want to drink water or take a bath/shower?

It's a ridiculous question, as no matter how many vehicles you own, you
can only drive one at a time.

Old May 16th 05, 04:51 PM

Yes and while 10 of your other vehicles are sitting at home, motor oil
and transmission fluid as well as radiator fluid are dripping
underneath them and into the soil and storm drains.

Old May 17th 05, 06:18 AM

Thanks Brad for the second opinion.

Old May 19th 05, 05:30 PM
Arthur Dent

Nuts. I have a Cougar, a Cutlass, a Sentra, a Lincoln, two Yamahas, a
Suzuki, a Honda, a Dodge Ram, a firetruck and a Watchamacallit (has to be
seen to be believed), none of them is leaking anything anywhere. It doesn't
hurt anyone but me to own that many vehicles- the insurance is ridiculous.

The other gentleman has a point- one should not be required to carry
liability insurance on every single vehicle. It would make far more sense to
simply have one's *license* contingent with a liability policy. Poor drivers
would have to pay more and they wouldn't be able to fudge the system by
registering a vehicle in someone else's name (who has a better record). No
insurance, no license. The economic penalties would be applied squarely
where they belong- on the bad drivers.

ups.com...

Old May 20th 05, 08:21 AM
John David Galt

Arthur Dent wrote:
> The other gentleman has a point- one should not be required to carry
> liability insurance on every single vehicle. It would make far more sense to
> simply have one's *license* contingent with a liability policy. Poor drivers
> would have to pay more and they wouldn't be able to fudge the system by
> registering a vehicle in someone else's name (who has a better record). No
> insurance, no license. The economic penalties would be applied squarely
> where they belong- on the bad drivers.

I agree, but that system could only go so far. If something happens to
your car while it is parked & the driver who hit you got away (or it was
something else, like a tree limb fell on your car) nobody was driving,
so Comprehensive & Collision would have to remain attached to the car.
And even for liability, if the parking brake wasn't set and your car
rolls down the hill & hits somebody, who pays? Legally it would be the
last person who drove the car, but finding out who it was is non-trivial.

This is the insurance industry's explanation for why insurance is
attached to the car. Still, I agree, it would make more sense for
drivers to carry their own liability coverage, but car owners would need
their own coverage anyway.
Old May 20th 05, 09:09 AM

Is the BMW 535 an SUV? I didn't know BMW made SUV's in '92.

I wouldn't mind a BMW motorcycle. Only I'm afraid because all of our
roads and highways have gotten increasingly congested and dangerous in
recent times. I'm paranoid. I'd love a BWM though. Something that
doesn't look like a ticket magnet to the police though. I need to keep
a clean driving record as I'm going into truck driving.