Need Advice On 1988 Beloved Honda Accord

Old March 30th 05, 03:17 AM
Tazzy_Gal

Default Need Advice On 1988 Beloved Honda Accord

Last April my 1988 Honda Accords' engine seized. Since then I've had to
put money into my mom's car, a 1975 Buick. I know it sounds insane, but
I hate to get rid of the Accord, it's very sentimental for me and looks
so good still. I'd have to get a new engine and trans, and my apartment
landlord has given me three weeks to do something or he's towing it. I
don't want to let it go, I want to fix it but don't have the money; if
only a mechanic would let me pay him in installments! Dream on I know.

Does anyone know of any groups in S. CA where there are super honda
lovers? I'm desperate to keep it. Make me see the light!

Old March 30th 05, 02:08 PM
John Ings

On 29 Mar 2005 18:17:28 -0800, "Tazzy_Gal" >
wrote:

>Last April my 1988 Honda Accords' engine seized. Since then I've had to
>put money into my mom's car, a 1975 Buick. I know it sounds insane, but
>I hate to get rid of the Accord, it's very sentimental for me and looks
>so good still. I'd have to get a new engine and trans, and my apartment
>landlord has given me three weeks to do something or he's towing it. I
>don't want to let it go, I want to fix it but don't have the money; if
>only a mechanic would let me pay him in installments! Dream on I know.
>
>Does anyone know of any groups in S. CA where there are super honda
>lovers? I'm desperate to keep it. Make me see the light!

If it were an 88 CRX it would be worth the trouble, but an Accord is
hardly worth it. You have to be brave and let go...

Old March 30th 05, 02:31 PM
William R. Watt

When a wrecker comes to pick up your car it is hauled to a scrap yard,
crushed, sold to a steel mill, melted down, and used to make new Hondas.
Old cars never die. Like Buddhists they keep coming back.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old March 30th 05, 07:02 PM

Engine seized - why do you need a new transmission?

You should be able to find a used engine for a couple hundred dollars
at a salvage yard. Try to find one with engine oil in reasonably good
condition, and the wrecked body showing signs of reasonable care, if
possible - or you may be able to get your mechanic to select one for
you.

In Southern California, you can find many advertisers in The Recycler
offering rebuilt engines. Just have someone knowledgeable confirm
exactly what is being re built, and with what quality parts.

Also, The Recyler online, has a search feature by zip code, make,
model, year, price, etc., so - again, probably only a few hundred
dollars, you could find another Accord - same year and color as yours.

http://www.recycler.com/

I always had better results clicking on the "Cars and Trucks" link
rather than going through the Automotive section.
If you buy there, try to find a private party. Say "I'm calling about
your car for sale", and if they ask "which one" it's not a private
party.
It's not that you cannot purchase from a dealer, only that they have
many "tricks of the trade" to make a tired or defective old car look
sparkly, shiny and attractive - for a couple of days or weeks, until
the masked over problems reappear.
Also, with the private seller view the car at their home, and buy only
from the owner, not a "friend" of the owner. Seems like every time I
did that the car had prior (well hidden) collision damage.
If you're so inclined, a knowledgeable body shop can usually detect
such repairs at first glance, where the ordinary purchaser would need
to see them in just the right lighting - a good reason to buy only in
daytime.

Old March 31st 05, 12:16 AM
Masospaghetti

Tazzy_Gal wrote:
> Last April my 1988 Honda Accords' engine seized. Since then I've had to
> put money into my mom's car, a 1975 Buick. I know it sounds insane, but
> I hate to get rid of the Accord, it's very sentimental for me and looks
> so good still. I'd have to get a new engine and trans, and my apartment
> landlord has given me three weeks to do something or he's towing it. I
> don't want to let it go, I want to fix it but don't have the money; if
> only a mechanic would let me pay him in installments! Dream on I know.
>
> Does anyone know of any groups in S. CA where there are super honda
> lovers? I'm desperate to keep it. Make me see the light!

I feel the sentiment - I have a 1985 Corolla that I really don't want to
part with.

I'd try the junkyard or a rebuilder. You might be able to get away for
less than $1000 after labor if you are lucky.
Old March 31st 05, 02:05 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Tazzy_Gal wrote:

> Last April my 1988 Honda Accords' engine seized.

www.car-part.com , searchable used auto parts nationwide. You can narrow
down your search by region or state. Results will automatically include
interchangeable other-year and other-model engines.

Old April 1st 05, 02:35 AM

These decisions are best done on a non-emotional level. Just do the
math...

Take the book value and/or replacement value of your car (in running
condition) as a base.

Then take the cost of a used or rebuilt engine/tranny, plus labor,
figure a bit more for misc. extras.. Then figure a few more trips to
the shop when you are done to de bugg the new used parts when
(hopefully minor) problems are sure to pop up...All this hasstle may
even sour your now good feelings towards this accord.

If I had to guess it would cost more to fix your car then it would to
buy another good used one just like it.

Let me put it this way, If some one offerd me this car for free and I
had to buy and engine AND trans and install them my self for free labor
(a couple of my weekends).... I would probably pass. Forget the
sentiments, enjoy your frinds, family, loved ones, and pets, they
deserve your emotional attachments more than a buch of metal, glass and
plastic. No disrespect to your accord and sorry to sound cold.

If you want your old car to live on perhaps you could try to donate it
to a high school shop class or tech school. Sounds like a great tax
write off as well. You could also visit it from time to time!

All due respects, Karl.

Sorry your accord is not well. Try to move on, I;m sure there are more
important thing and loved ones to comfort you in your time of sorrow.

P.s. I hope after all this she was at least an LXi. if you're only
talking about a DX I'm gonna be ****ed! =)

Old April 1st 05, 04:20 AM
testortool

Around here I can easily find a dozen late 80s Honda Accords in the $1000
range all in good running shape. Get a small loan somehow and get out and
buy one. You'll have much better luck paying monthly installments on another
Accord than finding a mechanic willing to take monthly payments for a motor
replacement. I hate to think how much money you're sinking into a 75
Buick...

oups.com...