Speeding car flies 200 feet, killing 5 young men

Old January 27th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default Speeding car flies 200 feet, killing 5 young men

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22856248/

Speeding car flies 200 feet, killing 5 young men
Traveling at high speed, car runs off embankment and goes airborne

updated 12:27 p.m. MT, Sat., Jan. 26, 2008

OCALA, Fla. - A car traveling at high speed down a private airport runway
ran off an embankment and was airborne for 200 feet before smashing into a
tree early Saturday, killing all five young men in the vehicle, the Florida
Highway Patrol said.

Investigators did not know whether the BMW was alone or was racing another
car on the air strip at the exclusive "fly-in" community of Jumbolair
Aviation Estates, where pilot-actor John Travolta has a home, officials
said.

According to the preliminary investigation, the car ran off the 85-foot-
high embankment at the end of the runway. When it struck the large tree,
the car split in half, scattering wreckage over an area of 200 square feet.

(snip)

---------------------

It appears this happened on private property so it's hard for even me to
condemn these clowns.
Old January 27th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic
Peter Lawrence

Here are more details about the crash (including a photo of the wreck):

http://www.local6.com/news/15144329/detail.html

The kids were traveling in a 2008 BMW at a speed the police estimate was
in excess of 100 MPH when they went airborne (off an elevated runway)
and hit a large oak tree 15 feet above the ground. The crash occurred
around 3:30 AM Saturday morning. They had just left a party. The five
victims were between 18 and 20 years old.

- Peter

Old January 27th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Peter Lawrence > wrote in
t:

> Here are more details about the crash (including a photo of the
> wreck):
>
> http://www.local6.com/news/15144329/detail.html
>
> The kids were traveling in a 2008 BMW at a speed the police estimate
> was in excess of 100 MPH when they went airborne (off an elevated
> runway) and hit a large oak tree 15 feet above the ground. The crash
> occurred around 3:30 AM Saturday morning. They had just left a party.
> The five victims were between 18 and 20 years old.
>
> - Peter
>

> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22856248/
>>
>> Speeding car flies 200 feet, killing 5 young men
>> Traveling at high speed, car runs off embankment and goes airborne
>>
>> updated 12:27 p.m. MT, Sat., Jan. 26, 2008
>>
>> OCALA, Fla. - A car traveling at high speed down a private airport
>> runway ran off an embankment and was airborne for 200 feet before
>> smashing into a tree early Saturday, killing all five young men in
>> the vehicle, the Florida Highway Patrol said.
>>
>> Investigators did not know whether the BMW was alone or was racing
>> another car on the air strip at the exclusive "fly-in" community of
>> Jumbolair Aviation Estates, where pilot-actor John Travolta has a
>> home, officials said.
>>
>> According to the preliminary investigation, the car ran off the
>> 85-foot- high embankment at the end of the runway. When it struck the
>> large tree, the car split in half, scattering wreckage over an area
>> of 200 square feet.
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>> ---------------------
>>
>> It appears this happened on private property so it's hard for even me
>> to condemn these clowns.

Evolution in action.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old January 27th 08, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Haw Dee Tools

got any car crime reports for Mars ?

Old January 27th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
David Poole

Jim Yanik wrote:
>>> OCALA, Fla. - A car traveling at high speed down a private airport
>>> runway ran off an embankment and was airborne for 200 feet before

<snip>
>>> (snip)
>>>
>>> ---------------------
>>>
>>> It appears this happened on private property so it's hard for even me
>>> to condemn these clowns.

>Evolution in action.

Hard to imagine such occurring in Florida. They are such safe and
prudent drivers there.

Oops, forgot my <sarcasm> tag.

--

People don't confuse me with someone who gives a ****.
Old January 28th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving, alt.law-enforcement.traffic
MLOM

On Jan 27, 10:06*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> Someone should sue the owner of the tree. *They should have known this
> could happen and should have cut the tree down years ago.
>
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 04:19:57 GMT, Peter Lawrence >
> wrote:
>

> >Here are more details about the crash (including a photo of the wreck):

> >http://www.local6.com/news/15144329/detail.html

> >The kids were traveling in a 2008 BMW at a speed the police estimate was
> >in excess of 100 MPH when they went airborne (off an elevated runway)
> >and hit a large oak tree 15 feet above the ground. *The crash occurred
> >around 3:30 AM Saturday morning. *They had just left a party. *The five
> >victims were between 18 and 20 years old.

> >- Peter

> >Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> >>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22856248/

> >> Speeding car flies 200 feet, killing 5 young men
> >> Traveling at high speed, car runs off embankment and goes airborne

> >> updated 12:27 p.m. MT, Sat., Jan. 26, 2008

> >> OCALA, Fla. - A car traveling at high speed down a private airport runway
> >> ran off an embankment and was airborne for 200 feet before smashing into a
> >> tree early Saturday, killing all five young men in the vehicle, the Florida
> >> Highway Patrol said.

> >> Investigators did not know whether the BMW was alone or was racing another
> >> car on the air strip at the exclusive "fly-in" community of Jumbolair
> >> Aviation Estates, where pilot-actor John Travolta has a home, officials
> >> said.

> >> According to the preliminary investigation, the car ran off the 85-foot-
> >> high embankment at the end of the runway. When it struck the large tree,
> >> the car split in half, scattering wreckage over an area of 200 square feet.

> >> (snip)

> >> ---------------------

> >> It appears this happened on private property so it's hard for even me to
> >> condemn these clowns.- Hide quoted text -

Either that or a warning sign prior to the end of the runway alerting
fool drivers to the tree.
Old January 29th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

MLOM > wrote in
:

> On Jan 27, 10:06*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>> Someone should sue the owner of the tree. *They should have known
>> this could happen and should have cut the tree down years ago.
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 04:19:57 GMT, Peter Lawrence >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Here are more details about the crash (including a photo of the
>> >wreck):

>> >http://www.local6.com/news/15144329/detail.html

>> >The kids were traveling in a 2008 BMW at a speed the police estimate
>> >was in excess of 100 MPH when they went airborne (off an elevated
>> >runway) and hit a large oak tree 15 feet above the ground. *The
>> >crash occurred around 3:30 AM Saturday morning. *They had just left
>> >a party. *The fi

> ve
>> >victims were between 18 and 20 years old.

>> >- Peter

> ay

> o a

> rida

> her

> -

> ,

> eet.

> Either that or a warning sign prior to the end of the runway alerting
> fool drivers to the tree.

paint a TARGET on the tree. A nice reflective target.

I note not much happened to the tree.

At least they didn't take anyone else with them.

and who RACES with a carFULL of people? nothing like adding a weight
penalty.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik