Car Fax - how infallible ??

Old January 7th 05, 04:46 PM
sdlomi2

Default Car Fax - how infallible ??

"Conase" > wrote in message
> Read an article on Florida flood cars coming to PA for resale .
> They make Car Fax sound like it is INFALLIBLE.
> Can't people BYPASS Car Fax and sell flood cars ?
>
> They make it sound like once a car is FLOODED OUT or damaged in any other

way
> that it ALWAYS ends up on Car Fax report. So you are always SAFE paying

for a
> service like Car Fax when buying a car.
>
> 1) True ?? I doubt it.
>
> 2) WHERE does Car Fax get its info ? From the GOODWILL of the people

reporting
> it to them or from LEGAL sources that are monitored ?
>
> TIA

Remember that we individuals(not dealers or ins. companies, etc.) who
have car damage & have it fixed & pay for it ourselves, as opposed to having
ins. co. pay for it, can sell flood-cars, re-built cars, ones that shoulda
been totalled, with "clean" titles. Who'd ever know other than the shop
that fixed it and us? And when "us" don't tell, the shops surely aren't
required to tell either! s

Old January 7th 05, 04:51 PM
dcg

I consider carfax worthless other than for tracing basic registration
issues.
YMMV in MANY states. Carfax works better in some states than others,
but other than registration and title status there is no reason to
assume that you've been provided with any sort or repair or damage
status.

Old January 8th 05, 01:46 AM
chip

On 7 Jan 2005 08:51:26 -0800, "dcg" > wrote:

>I consider carfax worthless other than for tracing basic registration
>issues.
>YMMV in MANY states. Carfax works better in some states than others,
>but other than registration and title status there is no reason to
>assume that you've been provided with any sort or repair or damage
>status.

I had a car that was hit a year ago, and when I asked the ins. co.
about carfax, they said they wouldn't report it since they have no
obligation to do so. It's not regulated so it's virtually useless.
i've seen cars that were in major frame damaging collisions that had
clean car fax reports.
Chip