SimCity Societies

Old June 19th 07, 04:33 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Carl ROGÉRS

Default SimCity Societies

Hi All,

Sweet! The next chapter's on its way. Here's a corresponding release* and
some sneak-preview screenshots**:

http://www.ea.com/article.jsp?id=simcityseries *
http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3160082&sec=IMAGES **

Nope, Maxis isn't behind this one. They're too busy w/ other projects.

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Adding human experience to highway enthusiasm"
********
Calrog.com, http://www.calrog.com :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An integrated media arm in Turn-of-the-Century PC Development, International
Highway Research, and Interpersonal Psychology. Has served your home
country and ninety-seven of its worldwide neighbours since 2000, through
Internet downstream and published works.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/calrog
********

Old June 19th 07, 04:41 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Sherman L. Cahal

On Jun 18, 11:33 pm, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sweet! The next chapter's on its way. Here's a corresponding release* and
> some sneak-preview screenshots**:
>
> http://www.ea.com/article.jsp?id=sim...2&sec=IMAGES**
>
> Nope, Maxis isn't behind this one. They're too busy w/ other projects.

There is a discussion at UrbanOhio about this next step in the SimCity
franchise...
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=13105.0

I'm not too pleased with it.

Old June 19th 07, 04:58 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Justin Rhodes

On Jun 18, 8:41 pm, "Sherman L. Cahal" > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 11:33 pm, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:
>
> > Hi All,

> > Sweet! The next chapter's on its way. Here's a corresponding release* and
> > some sneak-preview screenshots**:

> >http://www.ea.com/article.jsp?id=sim...ww.1up.com/do/...

> > Nope, Maxis isn't behind this one. They're too busy w/ other projects.

> There is a discussion at UrbanOhio about this next step in the SimCity
> franchise...http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=13105.0
>
> I'm not too pleased with it.

The roads don't look very well designed.

Old June 19th 07, 06:15 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Jason Pawloski

On Jun 18, 8:58 pm, Justin Rhodes > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 8:41 pm, "Sherman L. Cahal" > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 18, 11:33 pm, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:

> > > Hi All,

> > > Sweet! The next chapter's on its way. Here's a corresponding release* and
> > > some sneak-preview screenshots**:

> > >http://www.ea.com/article.jsp?id=sim...ww.1up.com/do/...

> > > Nope, Maxis isn't behind this one. They're too busy w/ other projects.

> > There is a discussion at UrbanOhio about this next step in the SimCity
> > franchise...http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=13105.0

> > I'm not too pleased with it.

> The roads don't look very well designed.

I thought 4 or 4000 or whatever the hell it was was very weak. Would
you guys agree with that?

Old June 19th 07, 11:09 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
!

On Jun 19, 12:15 am, Jason Pawloski > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 8:58 pm, Justin Rhodes > wrote:

> > > There is a discussion at UrbanOhio about this next step in the SimCity
> > > franchise...http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=13105.0

> > > I'm not too pleased with it.

> > The roads don't look very well designed.

> I thought 4 or 4000 or whatever the hell it was was very weak. Would
> you guys agree with that?

Actually, with the Rush Hour Expansion pack, coupled with the ease of
adding additional mods, made SimCity 4 the best one I've played,
followed by SimCity 2000.

Especially as it relates to road and other transportation options, and
even more so if you download the Network Add-on Mod from Simtropolis.

Between the Rush Hour Expansion pack and the Network Add-on:

--Streets
--One-Way Streets
--Roads
--Divided Highways/Boulevards
--At-grade freeways
--Elevated freeways
--A large selection of bridges, including road-over-road, rail, etc.
--An extended selection of ramps and interchanges (including stacks!)
--Passenger and auto ferries

This, coupled with the ability to name and label streets, 3-D
realistic terrain, and better traffic tracking, really pleased the
inner highway engineer and map/road geek in me.

Old June 19th 07, 08:57 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Carl Rogers

On Jun 19, 3:09 am, ! > wrote:

> Actually, with the Rush Hour Expansion pack, coupled with the ease of
> adding additional mods, made SimCity 4 the best one I've played,
> followed by SimCity 2000.
>
> Especially as it relates to road and other transportation options, and
> even more so if you download the Network Add-on Mod from Simtropolis.
>
> Between the Rush Hour Expansion pack and the Network Add-on:
>
> --Streets
> --One-Way Streets
> --Roads
> --Divided Highways/Boulevards
> --At-grade freeways
> --Elevated freeways
> --A large selection of bridges, including road-over-road, rail, etc.
> --An extended selection of ramps and interchanges (including stacks!)
> --Passenger and auto ferries
>
> This, coupled with the ability to name and label streets, 3-D
> realistic terrain, and better traffic tracking, really pleased the
> inner highway engineer and map/road geek in me.- Hide quoted text -

A 64-bit version of SimCity 4 would have been nice, especially for
those who have 4096x4096 regions. When you're dealing w/ a region of
such size, it can be a real plus to have >4 GB memory. If you were to
have XP 64-bit AND appropriate drivers for the graphics card, that
would be a real catch for the 64-bit game.

There's one serious gripe I've got w/ RH+Add-on. You can't have a
freeway leave town diagonally! It must leave at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 or
9:00...

Old June 19th 07, 09:04 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Revive755

On Jun 19, 5:09 am, ! > wrote:
> On Jun 19, 12:15 am, Jason Pawloski > wrote:

<snip>
> > I thought 4 or 4000 or whatever the hell it was was very weak. Would
> > you guys agree with that?

> Actually, with the Rush Hour Expansion pack, coupled with the ease of
> adding additional mods, made SimCity 4 the best one I've played,
> followed by SimCity 2000.
>
> Especially as it relates to road and other transportation options, and
> even more so if you download the Network Add-on Mod from Simtropolis.
>
> Between the Rush Hour Expansion pack and the Network Add-on:
>
> --Streets
> --One-Way Streets
> --Roads
> --Divided Highways/Boulevards
> --At-grade freeways
> --Elevated freeways
> --A large selection of bridges, including road-over-road, rail, etc.
> --An extended selection of ramps and interchanges (including stacks!)
> --Passenger and auto ferries
>
> This, coupled with the ability to name and label streets, 3-D
> realistic terrain, and better traffic tracking, really pleased the
> inner highway engineer and map/road geek in me.

The fourth one with the Rush Hour expansion and a few mods was the
best one so far transportation wise, though it still needed quite a
bit. Better control of the number of lanes on a road (should be mod
for that sometime soon though), choice of traffic control at
intersections, ability to have turn prohibitions at intersections, and
choice of speed limits for roads would have been nice to see in a new
Sim City. If they wanted to have more of a society aspect, they
should add having to fight the citizens/city council for widening, new
route construction, or traffic control changes. If the new version is
easier to mod than the fourth one to add additional transportation
features, I might consider purchasing it. Otherwise it looks like it
would be less enjoyable than 2000.

Old June 19th 07, 11:04 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Dave P

On Jun 19, 4:04 pm, Revive755 > wrote:
> On Jun 19, 5:09 am, ! > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 19, 12:15 am, Jason Pawloski > wrote:

> <snip>
> > > I thought 4 or 4000 or whatever the hell it was was very weak. Would
> > > you guys agree with that?

> > Actually, with the Rush Hour Expansion pack, coupled with the ease of
> > adding additional mods, made SimCity 4 the best one I've played,
> > followed by SimCity 2000.

> > Especially as it relates to road and other transportation options, and
> > even more so if you download the Network Add-on Mod from Simtropolis.

> > Between the Rush Hour Expansion pack and the Network Add-on:

> > --Streets
> > --One-Way Streets
> > --Roads
> > --Divided Highways/Boulevards
> > --At-grade freeways
> > --Elevated freeways
> > --A large selection of bridges, including road-over-road, rail, etc.
> > --An extended selection of ramps and interchanges (including stacks!)
> > --Passenger and auto ferries

> > This, coupled with the ability to name and label streets, 3-D
> > realistic terrain, and better traffic tracking, really pleased the
> > inner highway engineer and map/road geek in me.

> The fourth one with the Rush Hour expansion and a few mods was the
> best one so far transportation wise, though it still needed quite a
> bit. Better control of the number of lanes on a road (should be mod
> for that sometime soon though), choice of traffic control at
> intersections, ability to have turn prohibitions at intersections, and
> choice of speed limits for roads would have been nice to see in a new
> Sim City. If they wanted to have more of a society aspect, they
> should add having to fight the citizens/city council for widening, new
> route construction, or traffic control changes. If the new version is
> easier to mod than the fourth one to add additional transportation
> features, I might consider purchasing it. Otherwise it looks like it
> would be less enjoyable than 2000.

There's a "rural highway" mod under development at the Simtropolis
site that should have some allowance of variety of roads. There are
several other really interesting transportation projects that people
are working on as well on that site. Even so, the most recent release
of the Network Add-On mod (June 1 or so) has roundabouts for roads and
avenues, left turn lanes at intersections, light rail, and lots of
other new features that I can't remember at the moment. Definitely
satisfying progress from vanilla SC4.

I agree that a societies version is a HUGE step backward in the
franchise.

Old June 19th 07, 11:26 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
rickmastfan67

On Jun 19, 6:04 pm, Dave P > wrote:
> There's a "rural highway" mod under development at the Simtropolis
> site that should have some allowance of variety of roads.

I'm one of the guys helping out on that. Also, we have a thread about
it over @ SC4D. Here's the link to it: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=990.0

Old June 20th 07, 02:18 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Joe Blasi

Carl Rogers wrote:
> On Jun 19, 3:09 am, ! > wrote:
>
>> Actually, with the Rush Hour Expansion pack, coupled with the ease of
>> adding additional mods, made SimCity 4 the best one I've played,
>> followed by SimCity 2000.
>>
>> Especially as it relates to road and other transportation options, and
>> even more so if you download the Network Add-on Mod from Simtropolis.
>>
>> Between the Rush Hour Expansion pack and the Network Add-on:
>>
>> --Streets
>> --One-Way Streets
>> --Roads
>> --Divided Highways/Boulevards
>> --At-grade freeways
>> --Elevated freeways
>> --A large selection of bridges, including road-over-road, rail, etc.
>> --An extended selection of ramps and interchanges (including stacks!)
>> --Passenger and auto ferries
>>
>> This, coupled with the ability to name and label streets, 3-D
>> realistic terrain, and better traffic tracking, really pleased the
>> inner highway engineer and map/road geek in me.- Hide quoted text -

> A 64-bit version of SimCity 4 would have been nice, especially for
> those who have 4096x4096 regions. When you're dealing w/ a region of
> such size, it can be a real plus to have >4 GB memory. If you were to
> have XP 64-bit AND appropriate drivers for the graphics card, that
> would be a real catch for the 64-bit game.
>
> There's one serious gripe I've got w/ RH+Add-on. You can't have a
> freeway leave town diagonally! It must leave at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 or
> 9:00...

simcity 4 also needs to updated to use more then one cpu core.