rFactor Hopping

Old September 29th 05, 03:20 PM

Default rFactor Hopping

I mentioned this in the FF thread, but nobody commented... Anyone else
notice how the car in rfactor will hop if you pitch it hard into a
corner that has a lot of rubber laid down? I've noticed this mostly
with the F3's. Karts will do this all the time, and in rFactor the
hopping feels just like it does in a kart.

Just another reason why, after years of not driving sims, I'm spending
a lot of time with rFactor.

Pat Dotson

Old September 29th 05, 04:24 PM
Darryl Johnson

wrote in
oups.com:

> I mentioned this in the FF thread, but nobody commented...
> Anyone else notice how the car in rfactor will hop if you pitch
> it hard into a corner that has a lot of rubber laid down? I've
> noticed this mostly with the F3's. Karts will do this all the
> time, and in rFactor the hopping feels just like it does in a
> kart.
>
> Just another reason why, after years of not driving sims, I'm
> spending a lot of time with rFactor.
>
> Pat Dotson

No, I can't say that I have noticed this, Pat.

However, I can't say that I've really noticed much difference in
tracks with regard to rubber being laid down either. Perhaps it's
my video card (getting a little long in the tooth), but other than
obvious skid marks from spins or brake lockups, I don't really see
rubber getting laid down on the tracks. There is the basic stuff
that is there when you first go out onto the track, but it doesn't
seem to get darker as the day goes on. Am I missing something?

I have noticed that under threashhold braking, I can induce a kind
of skipping to the wheels as they bite and release, which is a
nice touch. Lets me know when I'm right at the edge of lockup.

There are any number of things that one could take issue with in
the game, but I must say I'm quite smitten with it for now.

--
Darryl
Old September 29th 05, 08:10 PM

I haven't noticed any building up of rubber either. I'm just talking
about the groove that is already laid down. For instance, at Mills GP,
the right hander just after the chicane. The car often will hop going
into that corner. It's also noticeable on the short Birmingham course
on I think it would be turn 4. It's the left at the end of the first
long straight. The track is really black there. If you drive in real
hard an place the right side tires in the groove, the car will start
hopping. It happens occasionally in other turn. I think it's the same
thing as what you are feeling while braking, but the car seems to do it
under more lateral acceleration as well. Looks like the racing school
lessons paid off for the ISI team - and for us!

Then again, maybe I'm just imagining it.

Old September 30th 05, 02:51 AM
Dean Purdy

This used to happen in SCGT too (another ISI sim). It was especially
noticeable coming out of the hairpin at Mosport. A very cool effect btw.

--
See ya in the pits,
Dean

I have a terrible memory. In fact my memory's so bad I can't remember how
long it's been since I've forgotten anything.

ups.com...