O\T RMA policies

Old September 28th 05, 11:26 AM
den

Default O\T RMA policies

Hi,
I was wondering what the normal RMA policy is when returning goods.I bought
a new Leadtek 6800 gt video card on the net through a reseller in the
states, i returned it because it was faulty 2 months ago ,i recieved a reply
on the 2 sept from the reseller stating he was sending the card back to
Leadtek , today i recieved a further email stating he will refund my money
once Leadtek refund him.
My question is this timeframe normal ? and as a reseller surely he should
refund the money immediately considering he advertised that the card was
"tested".
TIA
den

Old September 28th 05, 12:25 PM
Bruce

Den,
I can't speak for the consumer laws in the various states of the USA but
here, in Oz, the requirement is that the reseller must do the refunding.
It is NOT a requirement - and neither is it a legal act - that the
reseller receive reimbursement from the wholesaler before refunding the
consumer.
Basically it boils down to the refund being made by the retailer is not
dependent upon the retailer himself being reimbursed first.

Bruce.

Old September 28th 05, 12:56 PM
G Hardy

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> I can't speak for the consumer laws in the various states of the USA but
> here, in Oz, the requirement is that the reseller must do the refunding.
> It is NOT a requirement - and neither is it a legal act - that the
> reseller receive reimbursement from the wholesaler before refunding the
> consumer.
> Basically it boils down to the refund being made by the retailer is not
> dependent upon the retailer himself being reimbursed first.

Sounds similar to the UK - the consumer's contract is with the retailer, not
the manufacturer. Here, you have statutory rights which entitle you to a six
month timeframe where it's the retailer who has to prove that defective
goods have failed through abuse or misuse. After that, you have 5½ years
where if the consumer can prove shoddy workmanship to be the cause of
failure, they can get the item replaced.

There are certain items not covered - perishables and other items with a
reasonable lifespan shorter than the statutory six year (total).

It's not the same for business purchases, but very few end users actually
realise that the "one year guarantee" is really just a smokescreen. Extended
warranties are (usually) a joke too.

Old September 28th 05, 02:48 PM
Larry

If you returned it within their stated policy (typically 30 days for most
resellers I believe) they should have sent you a new one and then filed a
DOA with their distributer.

You should not have been stuck between the reseller and manufacturer, at
least within the resellers return window.

All of this is IMHO of course. I am not a lawyer, and have never played one
on TV.

-Larry

Old September 28th 05, 02:49 PM
Larry

Wow.

-Larry

Old September 28th 05, 06:59 PM
Goy Larsen

den wrote:

> Hi,
> I was wondering what the normal RMA policy is when returning goods.I bought
> a new Leadtek 6800 gt video card on the net through a reseller in the
> states, i returned it because it was faulty 2 months ago ,i recieved a reply
> on the 2 sept from the reseller stating he was sending the card back to
> Leadtek , today i recieved a further email stating he will refund my money
> once Leadtek refund him.
> My question is this timeframe normal ? and as a reseller surely he should
> refund the money immediately considering he advertised that the card was
> "tested".

In Norway it's very easy, if you had bought that card at my shop I would
have had 2 weeks from the day you returned it to my shop until the case
has to be resolved or you could just have reported me to the appropriate
gov agency and have their people resolve it for you

That's what the law says, of course you and I *can* make different
arrangements if *you* are willing, but if not, the law is the law,
report the sucker to the BBB

Beers and cheers
(uncle) Goy

"When two or more people are gathered together in my name,
they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."

--Our Lord John Cleese--
Old September 28th 05, 07:04 PM
Goy Larsen

G Hardy wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > I can't speak for the consumer laws in the various states of the USA but
> > here, in Oz, the requirement is that the reseller must do the refunding.
> > It is NOT a requirement - and neither is it a legal act - that the
> > reseller receive reimbursement from the wholesaler before refunding the
> > consumer.
> > Basically it boils down to the refund being made by the retailer is not
> > dependent upon the retailer himself being reimbursed first.

> Sounds similar to the UK - the consumer's contract is with the retailer, not
> the manufacturer. Here, you have statutory rights which entitle you to a six
> month timeframe where it's the retailer who has to prove that defective
> goods have failed through abuse or misuse. After that, you have 5½ years
> where if the consumer can prove shoddy workmanship to be the cause of
> failure, they can get the item replaced.
>
> There are certain items not covered - perishables and other items with a
> reasonable lifespan shorter than the statutory six year (total).
>
> It's not the same for business purchases, but very few end users actually
> realise that the "one year guarantee" is really just a smokescreen. Extended
> warranties are (usually) a joke too.

Yup, same as in Norway basically, if people took the time to know their
rights it would be neigh on impossible to run a shop like mine. Most
laptops I sell come with a 1-2 years factory warranty, consumer laws
says 3-5 years, guess who's responsible for the missing years in the
factory warranty if the customer has been around the block a few times

Old September 29th 05, 07:20 AM
Jeff Reid

> I was wondering what the normal RMA policy is when returning goods.I bought a new Leadtek 6800 gt video card on the
> net through a reseller in the states, i returned it because it was faulty 2 months ago

If you charged it on a credit card, you can start a "dispute" on the charge
with the credit card compnay to get your money back. All most credit
card companies care about is the fact that the reseller already got
the merchandise back.

Old September 29th 05, 11:32 AM
John Smith

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
>> I was wondering what the normal RMA policy is when returning goods.I
>> bought a new Leadtek 6800 gt video card on the net through a reseller in
>> the states, i returned it because it was faulty 2 months ago

> If you charged it on a credit card, you can start a "dispute" on the
> charge
> with the credit card compnay to get your money back. All most credit
> card companies care about is the fact that the reseller already got
> the merchandise back.

another reason to use a good retail site like newegg.