Problem with brake/shift interlock....

Old July 4th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Problem with brake/shift interlock....

1994 Mustang 3.8L

The gearshift has a thumb button that requires you to press it before
it will shift out of park. This is obviously a safety mechanism.
There has been some of malfunction and the button won't go in. So I am
stuck with a mustang that can't shift out of park. I already changed
fuse #9, which is the fuse for this and also the hazard lights. The
hazard lights don't work either.

How do I disable this interlock safety mechanism so I can move my car?

Old July 4th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Richard[_1_]

How about depressing the brake pedal, ignition switch in run position then
moving the shifter. The button will not go in before these steps, leastwise
not on my '94.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
3:73 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

".boB" > wrote in message
om...
> wrote:
>
> > 1994 Mustang 3.8L
> >
> > The gearshift has a thumb button that requires you to press it before
> > it will shift out of park. This is obviously a safety mechanism.
> > There has been some of malfunction and the button won't go in. So I am
> > stuck with a mustang that can't shift out of park. I already changed
> > fuse #9, which is the fuse for this and also the hazard lights. The
> > hazard lights don't work either.
> >
> > How do I disable this interlock safety mechanism so I can move my car?
> >

> I had a similar problem with a T-Bird. I removed the parking brake

rocked the
> car back and forth a few times, and then it shifted. Are you parked on a

hill?

Old July 4th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
MicrosoftBob[_1_]

> I had a similar problem with a T-Bird. I removed the parking brake rocked the
> car back and forth a few times, and then it shifted. Are you parked on a hill?

No, it is in a parking lot (very flat). I tried rocking the car, but
still doesn't shift.

Isn't there a manual override button somewhere?????

Old July 4th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
MicrosoftBob[_1_]

Richard wrote:
> How about depressing the brake pedal, ignition switch in run position then
> moving the shifter. The button will not go in before these steps, leastwise
> not on my '94.

Have tried that already. Also, the manual has some sort of "override"
procedure where you remove the key, apply the parking brake, put key
back in, etc.... but that doesn't work either.

I'm very frustrated. My car is stuck in a parking lot just because of
a stupid "safety" mechanism!!

Old July 5th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Richard[_1_]

OK try this.
1. Engine off and remove ignition key.
2. Apply parking brake
3.Reinsert key and turn clockwise to the first position (OFF)
4. Depress the brake pedal, move shifter to neutral and start engine.

I seem to recall that you said the brake lights work and that the fuse is
okay. If that is correct I would suspect that the problem lies with the
brake shift interlock switch. It has perhaps moved and or is stuck such that
depressing the brake pedal does not activate the switch.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
3:73 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

oups.com...

Old July 11th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
MicrosoftBob[_1_]

Richard wrote:
> OK try this.
> 1. Engine off and remove ignition key.
> 2. Apply parking brake
> 3.Reinsert key and turn clockwise to the first position (OFF)
> 4. Depress the brake pedal, move shifter to neutral and start engine.
>
> I seem to recall that you said the brake lights work and that the fuse is
> okay. If that is correct I would suspect that the problem lies with the
> brake shift interlock switch. It has perhaps moved and or is stuck such that
> depressing the brake pedal does not activate the switch.

I managed to get it going. The above procedure was what I read in the
manual, but I just turned the key too far and put it past the "off"
position. It also turns out that there is a second fuse for the
interlock under the hood. It was blown and that's what caused the
problem. I don't understand why there would be two fuses for this
circuit.

Thanks!!

Old July 12th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
monkeyboy via CarKB.com

I don't understand why there would be two fuses for this
>circuit.
>
>Thanks!!

One fuse is for the brake lamp circuit, it gives the shift lock module the
signal from the depressed brake light switch. The other fuse supplies the B+
to the module. Two seperate circuits. Thank you, thank you, just through
money.I'll be here all week.