2005 Lincoln Town Car AC recharge problem

Old February 26th 11, 09:38 PM posted to alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
The Derfer[_2_]

Default 2005 Lincoln Town Car AC recharge problem

I recharged my AC myself with one of those cans of
EZ Chill R134a.
Here's what happened: after about 5 minutes of releasing the
refrigerant into the low side fill input, I got it to the roughly
50-55
psi pressure recommended for this, a 2005 Lincoln Town Car.

Now I have a new problem: the clutch clicks every 5 seconds or so,
and, with the gauge attached, I see the pressure go up to 55 then down
about 15 with each click, then back up again and so on over and over
again.
And sure enough, the AC does not blow cold inside. I did everything
"the can told me" and I know I released the refrigerant into the right
place.
Why is the pressure varying so much with the clicks and how come no
col air? The can still has refrigerant in it.
Upon initial measurement with the gauge, the pressure was barely 10-15
psi.
Old February 26th 11, 09:56 PM posted to alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Kevin Bottorff

The Derfer > wrote in news:0cb9954d-71e0-4103-91b0-
:

> I recharged my AC myself with one of those cans of
> EZ Chill R134a.
> Here's what happened: after about 5 minutes of releasing the
> refrigerant into the low side fill input, I got it to the roughly
> 50-55
> psi pressure recommended for this, a 2005 Lincoln Town Car.
>
> Now I have a new problem: the clutch clicks every 5 seconds or so,
> and, with the gauge attached, I see the pressure go up to 55 then down
> about 15 with each click, then back up again and so on over and over
> again.
> And sure enough, the AC does not blow cold inside. I did everything
> "the can told me" and I know I released the refrigerant into the right
> place.
> Why is the pressure varying so much with the clicks and how come no
> col air? The can still has refrigerant in it.
> Upon initial measurement with the gauge, the pressure was barely 10-15
> psi.
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

You don`t have enough refrig in yet, that is why the cycling. you need
to find some one that knows what he is doing if this confuses you. it is
too complicated for your knowlage. KB
Old February 26th 11, 10:37 PM posted to alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Tim J.

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:38:20 -0800 (PST), The Derfer
> wrote:

>I recharged my AC myself with one of those cans of
>EZ Chill R134a.
>Here's what happened: after about 5 minutes of releasing the
>refrigerant into the low side fill input, I got it to the roughly
>50-55
>psi pressure recommended for this, a 2005 Lincoln Town Car.
>
>Now I have a new problem: the clutch clicks every 5 seconds or so,
>and, with the gauge attached, I see the pressure go up to 55 then down
>about 15 with each click, then back up again and so on over and over
>again.
>And sure enough, the AC does not blow cold inside. I did everything
>"the can told me" and I know I released the refrigerant into the right
>place.
>Why is the pressure varying so much with the clicks and how come no
>col air? The can still has refrigerant in it.
>Upon initial measurement with the gauge, the pressure was barely 10-15
>psi.
>Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

When the pressure goes down to 15, what is the high side pressure? You
may not yet have enough gas in the system, or a plugged expansion
orifice. I'm betting on the former. And do you have any idea what
happened to the gas you're having to replace? If you have a leak,
adding more 134a is just being wasteful. I suspect you have a slow
leak somewhere.
Old February 26th 11, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Scott Dorsey

The Derfer > wrote:

>Now I have a new problem: the clutch clicks every 5 seconds or so,
>and, with the gauge attached, I see the pressure go up to 55 then down
>about 15 with each click, then back up again and so on over and over
>again.
>And sure enough, the AC does not blow cold inside. I did everything
>"the can told me" and I know I released the refrigerant into the right
>place.
>Why is the pressure varying so much with the clicks and how come no
>col air? The can still has refrigerant in it.

What's happening is that the compressor clutch is engaging, and then
it's being disengaged when the system pressures don't come up properly.

This could be because there is a clog in the system, it could be because
there is too little freon in the system, or it could because there is
too much. Or maybe a pressure switch is bad.

You need to be able to measure both the high and low side pressures in
order to make a real diagnosis.
--scott

Old February 27th 11, 08:00 AM posted to alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
m6onz5a

On Feb 26, 4:38*pm, The Derfer > wrote:
> I recharged my AC myself with one of those cans of
> EZ Chill R134a.
> Here's what happened: after about 5 minutes of releasing the
> refrigerant into the low side fill input, I got it to the roughly
> 50-55
> psi pressure recommended for this, a 2005 Lincoln Town Car.
>
> Now I have a new problem: the clutch clicks every 5 seconds or so,
> and, with the gauge attached, I see the pressure go up to 55 then down
> about 15 with each click, then back up again and so on over and over
> again.
> And sure enough, the AC does not blow cold inside. * I did everything
> "the can told me" and I know I released the refrigerant into the right
> place.
> Why is the pressure varying so much with the clicks and how come no
> col air? *The can still has refrigerant in it.
> Upon initial measurement with the gauge, the pressure was barely 10-15
> psi.
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

It sounds like you don't have enough freon in the system yet, but I've
also seen where too much freon causes this problem too.

Did that can of EZ chill have a stop leak built in?? It's possible
your orifice tube might be clogged.

Old February 27th 11, 04:34 PM posted to alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Bill[_33_]

"The Derfer" wrote in message
>I recharged my AC myself with one of those cans of
> EZ Chill R134a...

A/C pressures need to be "just right" depending also on what the
outside temperature is!

Too low and it will not work. Too high and it will not work. And the
low side pressure needs to be low with the compressor running, the
high side pressure needs to be "just right".

Then fans may turn on depending on pressures. A system with the
correct pressures but non-working fans/pressure sensors will not cool
very well under certain situations.

And then there are internal to the car dampers (air directors) which
cause cool / warm air to come out the vents. If this portion of the
system is not working right, the A/C might be working just fine, yet
warm air will come out the vents!

With that said, you need to buy a factory service manual set of books
for your specific vehicle (can be 4 books to the set-buy from dealer),
buy the proper tools, then read the A/C section which can be 80 pages
in itself. Understand how everything works, THEN diagnose the
problem...

Old March 4th 11, 03:39 PM posted to alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
The Derfer[_2_]

The can does feature stop-leak, for whatever that's worth.

Now I've emptied the rest of the can in there. The pressure goes up
to 55 psi, clicks, goes down to ~15,
then goes steadily back up, repeats this over and over.
I don't have anything that will fit the high side to measure that.

Old March 4th 11, 03:46 PM posted to alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Scott Dorsey

The Derfer > wrote:
>The can does feature stop-leak, for whatever that's worth.

That's not good.

>Now I've emptied the rest of the can in there. The pressure goes up
>to 55 psi, clicks, goes down to ~15,
>then goes steadily back up, repeats this over and over.
>I don't have anything that will fit the high side to measure that.

Well, get a real gauge set or take it to someone who has one before you
wind up damaging the thing.
--scott
Old March 4th 11, 04:51 PM posted to alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford
MM

On 3/4/11 8:46 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> The > wrote:
>> The can does feature stop-leak, for whatever that's worth.

> That's not good.
>
>> Now I've emptied the rest of the can in there. The pressure goes up
>> to 55 psi, clicks, goes down to ~15,
>> then goes steadily back up, repeats this over and over.
>> I don't have anything that will fit the high side to measure that.

> Well, get a real gauge set or take it to someone who has one before you
> wind up damaging the thing.
> --scott

Or killing yourself. Messing with A/C systems can be dangerous if you
don't have the right tools and know what you're doing. And it appears
you don't...
Old March 4th 11, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 09:51:50 -0700, MM > wrote:

>On 3/4/11 8:46 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> The > wrote:
>>> The can does feature stop-leak, for whatever that's worth.

>> That's not good.
>>
>>> Now I've emptied the rest of the can in there. The pressure goes up
>>> to 55 psi, clicks, goes down to ~15,
>>> then goes steadily back up, repeats this over and over.
>>> I don't have anything that will fit the high side to measure that.

>> Well, get a real gauge set or take it to someone who has one before you
>> wind up damaging the thing.
>> --scott

>Or killing yourself. Messing with A/C systems can be dangerous if you
>don't have the right tools and know what you're doing. And it appears
>you don't...

I never knew that. Lucky I'm alive.
Here's decent cheap gage set.
http://www.harborfreight.com/a-c-man...set-92649.html

My kid used it for years until he got a better one.
Plastic knobs, one broke off. No big deal.
In my experience you don't need gauges.
As long as pay attention to freon capacity.
But gauges work best for 2 reasons.
They make you feel like a pro.
And they provide a manifold for your cans and easier connectors than
come with cans.
If you start with an empty system and the system capacity is 30
ounces, put in 30 ounces.
If that doesn't make it blow cold, there's other work to do.
Most likely putting in a new compressor.
I didn't see how much the OP put in from his can, or whether the
system was empty, so tI can't say.
But it sure sounds like he didn't put enough freon in.

--Vic