96 2.2 Dex cool or not?

Old May 4th 05, 05:47 AM
Bob Urz

Default 96 2.2 Dex cool or not?

I am just getting my 1996 S10 2.2 put back together after an
unfortunate incident of bending all 8 valves. Since its apart,
drained and has a new head gasket, what about antifreeze now? Its
had Dex cool in it since it was new. Just over 100K now.
Is there any reason to stay with dex cool? What about the sealer pellets?

Bob

Old May 4th 05, 06:59 AM
Edward Strauss

Bob Urz > wrote:
> I am just getting my 1996 S10 2.2 put back together after an
> unfortunate incident of bending all 8 valves. Since its apart,
> drained and has a new head gasket, what about antifreeze now? Its
> had Dex cool in it since it was new. Just over 100K now.
> Is there any reason to stay with dex cool? What about the sealer pellets?

Are all the cooling system componets clean? Any water pump or heater
core problems? If not why not Dexcool? It's done it's job for 100k.
Does not matter about the sealent except that it might make you
feel better... You might save a couple dollars by switching though.
I would use the Dexcool.
Old May 4th 05, 03:44 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Bob Urz wrote:

> I am just getting my 1996 S10 2.2 put back together after an unfortunate
> incident of bending all 8 valves. Since its apart, drained and has a new
> head gasket, what about antifreeze now? Its had Dex cool in it since it
> was new. Just over 100K now. Is there any reason to stay with dex cool?

Yes: Because that's the chemistry specified for this system.
Old May 5th 05, 03:01 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Al Haunts wrote:

> Dexcool has its advantages

....IN SYSTEMS DESIGNED FOR IT.
Old May 5th 05, 03:53 AM
Bob Urz

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2005, Al Haunts wrote:
>

>>Dexcool has its advantages

> ...IN SYSTEMS DESIGNED FOR IT.

So what part of the cooling system is designed for it????

Bob

Old May 5th 05, 02:55 PM
Steve

Bob Urz wrote:

> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 4 May 2005, Al Haunts wrote:
>>

>>> Dexcool has its advantages

>> ...IN SYSTEMS DESIGNED FOR IT.

> So what part of the cooling system is designed for it????

Any gasket that touches the coolant including head gaskets, the heater
core (no copper, no solder), the radiator (no copper-containing alloys,
no solder). Little stuff like that :-)

Old May 9th 05, 03:07 AM
jgalianojr

I will go with regular antifreeze and no pellets. the pellets are made for
leaks and the deposit on everything coolant travels and goes. Dexcool it is
corrosive and in plain said a nuisances.