Happy Birthday, Frog

Old August 29th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

Default Happy Birthday, Frog

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "dwight" > wrote in
> :
>
>> August 10th was TFrog's 15th birthday.
>>
>> There are loose panels in the interior. The power door lock doesn't
>> work on the driver's side. It still has the original Ford Premium
>> Sound System with AM/FM Cassette. The center caps are peeling on all
>> four wheels. And the black paint gets harder and harder to work with
>> every passing year. I dream of the day when all exterior molding is
>> replaced and the car gets a new blacker-than-black paint job...
>>
>> Still, 213000 miles have passed on that clock and TFrog got that
>> second coat of wax yesterday and looks fantastic.
>> http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/tfrog.htm
>>
>> Today, we're going for a romp for a belated birthday celebration. The
>> first half of vacation week was spent getting the Frogs ready - the
>> second half is all about enjoying the hell out of 'em.
>>
>> dwight
>> (still stuck in 1993)

> dwight, kudos to you! Both frogs (T and C) look awesome. Now if you
> were my neighbor, I might not have sold my LX...

....and if you were mine, I'd probably spend more time on keeping them in
better shape! I'm a competitive son of a bitch, but there's no one around
here to compete with.

> The headlights look pretty clear - are they originals or replacements?

TFrog's were replaced about 4 years ago. CFrog is overdue.

> Also, you could take the caps off and give them a shot of silver - would
> look tons better than the scarred black. Or just remove them
> altogether. You can probably find caps on the Internet somewhere.

Take 'em off... That never occurred to me. I'd have that dragstrip look.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

There are several choices for center caps, but this is a knockoff of the
originals.

> You might consider a resto at some point, as I believe you are correct -
> these cars will continue to cost more with each passing year. If it's
> not yet time for the resto, maybe retirement to the garage is in order
> until resto time arrives.

Which one gets the garage, is the question. I like the convertible for
commuting, since it has auto, but the LX is better in bad weather -
especially snow. No, I trade off between the two all through the year, so
neither one is going to be a garage queen at this point.

The eventual plan is still to have TFrog undergo a complete restoration
project at some point. I'll let the pros handle it, everything from engine
and drivetrain to interior and exterior refresh. I'll keep the stock look
and have a much-better-than-new LX for less than the price of a new car.
Planning on this for it's 20 year celebration, at which point, yes, TFrog
becomes a garage queen. All of which assumes, of course, that there'll still
be gasoline available...

> Best of luck with them!

Thanks, Joe. Hard to believe it's been 15 years. Jeez, that's way back when
I had little kids...

dwight

Old August 29th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:39:38 -0400, "dwight" >
wrote:

>August 10th was TFrog's 15th birthday.
>
>There are loose panels in the interior. The power door lock doesn't work on
>the driver's side. It still has the original Ford Premium Sound System with
>AM/FM Cassette. The center caps are peeling on all four wheels. And the
>black paint gets harder and harder to work with every passing year. I dream
>of the day when all exterior molding is replaced and the car gets a new
>blacker-than-black paint job...
>
>Still, 213000 miles have passed on that clock and TFrog got that second coat
>of wax yesterday and looks fantastic. http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/tfrog.htm
>
>Today, we're going for a romp for a belated birthday celebration. The first
>half of vacation week was spent getting the Frogs ready - the second half is
>all about enjoying the hell out of 'em.
>
>dwight
>(still stuck in 1993)

Well, TFrog is still holding up a whole lot better than many people I
know. Sure, a little wear and tear. That's why women wear makeup and
cars wear wax. :0) May you be blessed with another 213k.

By the way, I'll bill ya for that sound bite that blew up my pc sound
system! hehehehehehe and a LOL, too!
--

Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4,
OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16x8" V40s, BFG gForce
Old August 29th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:39:38 -0400, "dwight" >
> wrote:
>
>>August 10th was TFrog's 15th birthday.
>>
>>There are loose panels in the interior. The power door lock doesn't work
>>on
>>the driver's side. It still has the original Ford Premium Sound System
>>with
>>AM/FM Cassette. The center caps are peeling on all four wheels. And the
>>black paint gets harder and harder to work with every passing year. I
>>dream
>>of the day when all exterior molding is replaced and the car gets a new
>>blacker-than-black paint job...
>>
>>Still, 213000 miles have passed on that clock and TFrog got that second
>>coat
>>of wax yesterday and looks fantastic. http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/tfrog.htm
>>
>>Today, we're going for a romp for a belated birthday celebration. The
>>first
>>half of vacation week was spent getting the Frogs ready - the second half
>>is
>>all about enjoying the hell out of 'em.
>>
>>dwight
>>(still stuck in 1993)
>>

> Well, TFrog is still holding up a whole lot better than many people I
> know. Sure, a little wear and tear. That's why women wear makeup and
> cars wear wax. :0) May you be blessed with another 213k.
>
> By the way, I'll bill ya for that sound bite that blew up my pc sound
> system! hehehehehehe and a LOL, too!
> --
>
> Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4,
> OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16x8" V40s, BFG gForce
> T/A skins. Cobra drop, halogen and LED lighting.

That reminds me... I have to re-record the thing, this time in real stereo.
Can't figure out yet how to hang the mics off the back of the car while I'm
driving it, though.

The mics were about a foot away from each tailpipe, as I recall. Thought I
had the levels set (using a laptop), but, yeah, it's a mite loud. Sorry.

)

Old August 29th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:36:48 -0400, "dwight" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:39:38 -0400, "dwight" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>August 10th was TFrog's 15th birthday.
>>>
>>>There are loose panels in the interior. The power door lock doesn't work
>>>on
>>>the driver's side. It still has the original Ford Premium Sound System
>>>with
>>>AM/FM Cassette. The center caps are peeling on all four wheels. And the
>>>black paint gets harder and harder to work with every passing year. I
>>>dream
>>>of the day when all exterior molding is replaced and the car gets a new
>>>blacker-than-black paint job...
>>>
>>>Still, 213000 miles have passed on that clock and TFrog got that second
>>>coat
>>>of wax yesterday and looks fantastic. http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/tfrog.htm
>>>
>>>Today, we're going for a romp for a belated birthday celebration. The
>>>first
>>>half of vacation week was spent getting the Frogs ready - the second half
>>>is
>>>all about enjoying the hell out of 'em.
>>>
>>>dwight
>>>(still stuck in 1993)
>>>

>> Well, TFrog is still holding up a whole lot better than many people I
>> know. Sure, a little wear and tear. That's why women wear makeup and
>> cars wear wax. :0) May you be blessed with another 213k.
>>
>> By the way, I'll bill ya for that sound bite that blew up my pc sound
>> system! hehehehehehe and a LOL, too!
>> --
>>
>> Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4,
>> OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16x8" V40s, BFG gForce
>> T/A skins. Cobra drop, halogen and LED lighting.

>That reminds me... I have to re-record the thing, this time in real stereo.
>Can't figure out yet how to hang the mics off the back of the car while I'm
>driving it, though.
>
>The mics were about a foot away from each tailpipe, as I recall. Thought I
>had the levels set (using a laptop), but, yeah, it's a mite loud. Sorry.
>
>)

I was just kidding. :0) I normally keep the volume down whether it's
music or anything else. At least in the beginning. :0)

Duct tape will hold those pesky mics in place... unless you want to
bore a couple of holes through the bottom of the car.

Now that Cherry Bombs are back in production......

Old August 30th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:39:38 -0400, "dwight" >
> wrote:
>
>> August 10th was TFrog's 15th birthday.
>>
>> There are loose panels in the interior. The power door lock doesn't work on
>> the driver's side. It still has the original Ford Premium Sound System with
>> AM/FM Cassette. The center caps are peeling on all four wheels. And the
>> black paint gets harder and harder to work with every passing year. I dream
>> of the day when all exterior molding is replaced and the car gets a new
>> blacker-than-black paint job...
>>
>> Still, 213000 miles have passed on that clock and TFrog got that second coat
>> of wax yesterday and looks fantastic.
http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/tfrog.htm

>> Today, we're going for a romp for a belated birthday celebration. The first
>> half of vacation week was spent getting the Frogs ready - the second half is
>> all about enjoying the hell out of 'em.
>>
>> dwight
>> (still stuck in 1993)
>>

> Well, TFrog is still holding up a whole lot better than many people I
> know. Sure, a little wear and tear. That's why women wear makeup and
> cars wear wax. :0) May you be blessed with another 213k.
>
> By the way, I'll bill ya for that sound bite that blew up my pc sound
> system! hehehehehehe and a LOL, too!

You need a better computer sound system!

--

"How you can go through all these justifications and gyrations
and not begin to have the slightest clue that you are, in

"Moo moo, moomoo moo moo." - WindsorFox
Old August 30th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

dwight wrote:
> August 10th was TFrog's 15th birthday.
>
> There are loose panels in the interior. The power door lock doesn't work
> on the driver's side. It still has the original Ford Premium Sound
> System with AM/FM Cassette. The center caps are peeling on all four
> wheels. And the black paint gets harder and harder to work with every
> passing year. I dream of the day when all exterior molding is replaced
> and the car gets a new blacker-than-black paint job...
>
> Still, 213000 miles have passed on that clock and TFrog got that second
> coat of wax yesterday and looks fantastic.
> http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/tfrog.htm
>
> Today, we're going for a romp for a belated birthday celebration. The
> first half of vacation week was spent getting the Frogs ready - the
> second half is all about enjoying the hell out of 'em.

Your cars are a testament to the durability and bullet proof design of
the Fox Mustangs.
Old August 31st 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

"Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
. ..
> dwight wrote:
>> August 10th was TFrog's 15th birthday.
>>
>> There are loose panels in the interior. The power door lock doesn't work
>> on the driver's side. It still has the original Ford Premium Sound System
>> with AM/FM Cassette. The center caps are peeling on all four wheels. And
>> the black paint gets harder and harder to work with every passing year. I
>> dream of the day when all exterior molding is replaced and the car gets a
>> new blacker-than-black paint job...
>>
>> Still, 213000 miles have passed on that clock and TFrog got that second
>> coat of wax yesterday and looks fantastic.
>> http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/tfrog.htm
>>
>> Today, we're going for a romp for a belated birthday celebration. The
>> first half of vacation week was spent getting the Frogs ready - the
>> second half is all about enjoying the hell out of 'em.

> Your cars are a testament to the durability and bullet proof design of the
> Fox Mustangs.

You know it. I've been abusing TFrog all this time, and it rewards me with
nothing but joy. I think I might pay it back with its 100,000-mile oil
change.

dwight

Old August 31st 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_114_]

"dwight" > wrote in
:

> "Joe" > wrote in message
>> "dwight" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> August 10th was TFrog's 15th birthday.
>>>
>>> There are loose panels in the interior. The power door lock doesn't
>>> work on the driver's side. It still has the original Ford Premium
>>> Sound System with AM/FM Cassette. The center caps are peeling on all
>>> four wheels. And the black paint gets harder and harder to work with
>>> every passing year. I dream of the day when all exterior molding is
>>> replaced and the car gets a new blacker-than-black paint job...
>>>
>>> Still, 213000 miles have passed on that clock and TFrog got that
>>> second coat of wax yesterday and looks fantastic.
>>> http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/tfrog.htm
>>>
>>> Today, we're going for a romp for a belated birthday celebration.
>>> The first half of vacation week was spent getting the Frogs ready -
>>> the second half is all about enjoying the hell out of 'em.
>>>
>>> dwight
>>> (still stuck in 1993)

>> dwight, kudos to you! Both frogs (T and C) look awesome. Now if you
>> were my neighbor, I might not have sold my LX...

> ...and if you were mine, I'd probably spend more time on keeping them
> in better shape! I'm a competitive son of a bitch, but there's no one
> around here to compete with.

It's not about competition, it's about pride. When you own these cars,
there's a ton of pride involved.

>> The headlights look pretty clear - are they originals or
>> replacements?

> TFrog's were replaced about 4 years ago. CFrog is overdue.
>
>> Also, you could take the caps off and give them a shot of silver -
>> would look tons better than the scarred black. Or just remove them
>> altogether. You can probably find caps on the Internet somewhere.

> Take 'em off... That never occurred to me. I'd have that dragstrip
> look.

Heh. It actually looks better than the half-black stuff. Check it out.

> http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/..._no=LRS-1130DR
> %20%20%20%20%201&comp=LRS
>
> There are several choices for center caps, but this is a knockoff of
> the originals.

Those are real nice. Not that bad of a price, either. The bitch is the
insignia in the middle. Lots of detail including the colors.

>> You might consider a resto at some point, as I believe you are
>> correct - these cars will continue to cost more with each passing
>> year. If it's not yet time for the resto, maybe retirement to the
>> garage is in order until resto time arrives.

> Which one gets the garage, is the question. I like the convertible for
> commuting, since it has auto, but the LX is better in bad weather -
> especially snow. No, I trade off between the two all through the year,
> so neither one is going to be a garage queen at this point.

Admittedly, you have a unique problem in that you have two cars.

> The eventual plan is still to have TFrog undergo a complete
> restoration project at some point. I'll let the pros handle it,
> everything from engine and drivetrain to interior and exterior
> refresh. I'll keep the stock look and have a much-better-than-new LX
> for less than the price of a new car. Planning on this for it's 20
> year celebration, at which point, yes, TFrog becomes a garage queen.
> All of which assumes, of course, that there'll still be gasoline
> available...

Of course there will, even if BO gets elected. But if T becomes a
garage queen, you have to give it up as a daily driver. That's going to
be tough!

>> Best of luck with them!

> Thanks, Joe. Hard to believe it's been 15 years. Jeez, that's way back
> when I had little kids...
>
> dwight

Yeah, I can still remember buying the LX new. Wow - who'd have thought
we'd have them so long? Anyway, I wish nothing but the best for the Frogs
and their owner.
Old August 31st 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "dwight" > wrote in
> :
>

>> Thanks, Joe. Hard to believe it's been 15 years. Jeez, that's way back
>> when I had little kids...
>>
>> dwight

> Yeah, I can still remember buying the LX new. Wow - who'd have thought
> we'd have them so long? Anyway, I wish nothing but the best for the Frogs
> and their owner.

I think I had had TFrog for a good three or four years, and guys were still
stopping me or coming over to talk about "the car they used to own." At that
time, I thought about holding onto this one, so that I'd never be in the
same position. I remember writing then that "this one, I keep forever."

On its 8th birthday (somewhere around 125,000 miles), I wrote another post
renewing this pledge. And a couple more since.

I find myself in an interesting place now. Still love this car, still enjoy
the hell out of it, still want to keep it and look forward (still) to a
total restoration. Every year, I have the same debate - keep it or sell it
off. Fact is, it's not worth selling. Realistically, it would go for less
than $2,000 (as you know), and is probably only worth anything at all to me.
If one of the Frogs gets sold off, it'll be the convertible, which is worth
a lot more today. But even that one is declining in value every time the
price of gas goes up.

I have a lot of history with the LX and I know the car inside and out. I can
easily see keeping this one for at least another 15 years, becoming one of
those sidebars about a guy with a "classic" Mustang, original owner, blah
blah blah. It's an interesting commitment, one that will become harder to
keep with every passing year.

This year, though, it's a no-brainer.

dwight

Old August 31st 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_122_]

"dwight" > wrote in
:

> "Joe" > wrote in message
>> "dwight" > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> Thanks, Joe. Hard to believe it's been 15 years. Jeez, that's way
>>> back when I had little kids...
>>>
>>> dwight

>> Yeah, I can still remember buying the LX new. Wow - who'd have
>> thought we'd have them so long? Anyway, I wish nothing but the best
>> for the Frogs and their owner.

> I think I had had TFrog for a good three or four years, and guys were
> still stopping me or coming over to talk about "the car they used to
> own." At that time, I thought about holding onto this one, so that I'd
> never be in the same position. I remember writing then that "this one,
> I keep forever."
>
> On its 8th birthday (somewhere around 125,000 miles), I wrote another
> post renewing this pledge. And a couple more since.
>
> I find myself in an interesting place now. Still love this car, still
> enjoy the hell out of it, still want to keep it and look forward
> (still) to a total restoration. Every year, I have the same debate -
> keep it or sell it off. Fact is, it's not worth selling.
> Realistically, it would go for less than $2,000 (as you know), and is
> probably only worth anything at all to me. If one of the Frogs gets
> sold off, it'll be the convertible, which is worth a lot more today.
> But even that one is declining in value every time the price of gas
> goes up.
>
> I have a lot of history with the LX and I know the car inside and out.
> I can easily see keeping this one for at least another 15 years,
> becoming one of those sidebars about a guy with a "classic" Mustang,
> original owner, blah blah blah. It's an interesting commitment, one
> that will become harder to keep with every passing year.
>
> This year, though, it's a no-brainer.
>
> dwight

Good deal. At least we know which Frog becomes the garage queen..

Happy Birthday Jan VW air cooled 4 July 5th 07 08:19 PM
Happy Birthday YJ Steve Foley[_2_] Jeep 0 August 19th 06 06:55 PM
Happy Birthday Laura Bush! Ted 'defend me and be a criminal coddler' Kennedy Driving 13 November 7th 05 06:13 PM
Happy Birthday G-Wagen Willem-Jan Markerink 4x4 0 February 11th 04 10:44 PM