E39 523 Clutch pedal vibration

Old November 7th 04, 12:41 AM
Thomas Steen Petersen

Default E39 523 Clutch pedal vibration

I'm having a rather anoying problem with my E39 523. When I press the clutch
pedal, it vibrates. It vibrates the most when the engine is at around 2000
rpm. It doesn't matter if the car is standing still or if it's driving.
Sometimes it is vibrating so hard that it becomes quite a challange to drive
the car, and sometimes it hardly vibrates at all.
I recently had a new clutch installed, which didn't change anything. The
problem is still there...
I have had my mechanic look at it, and he couldn't figure out what is wrong.

So now I hope that some of you guys can help me diagnose what the problem
is.

Any help it greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Thomas Steen Petersen,
Denmark.

Old November 7th 04, 12:47 AM
Dan Drake

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 01:41:45 +0100, "Thomas Steen Petersen"
> wrote:

>I'm having a rather anoying problem with my E39 523. When I press the clutch
>pedal, it vibrates. It vibrates the most when the engine is at around 2000
>rpm. It doesn't matter if the car is standing still or if it's driving.
>Sometimes it is vibrating so hard that it becomes quite a challange to drive
>the car, and sometimes it hardly vibrates at all.
>I recently had a new clutch installed, which didn't change anything. The
>problem is still there...

Was the throwout (thrust) bearing replaced at the same time? I would
hope that it was, but if it wasn't then that would be my number one
suspect for the problem.
--
Dan Drake
Old November 7th 04, 01:26 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Dan Drake" > wrote
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 01:41:45 +0100, "Thomas Steen Petersen" wrote:
>>I'm having a rather anoying problem with my E39 523. When I press the
>>clutch
>>pedal, it vibrates. It vibrates the most when the engine is at around 2000
>>rpm. It doesn't matter if the car is standing still or if it's driving.
>>Sometimes it is vibrating so hard that it becomes quite a challange to
>>drive
>>the car, and sometimes it hardly vibrates at all.
>>I recently had a new clutch installed, which didn't change anything. The
>>problem is still there...

> Was the throwout (thrust) bearing replaced at the same time? I would
> hope that it was, but if it wasn't then that would be my number one
> suspect for the problem.

There are two other things I would ask: was the crankshaft bearing
replaced (there's a small bearing/bushing in the end of the crankshaft
that the transmission's input shaft runs in.), and did they check the
play in the transmission's input-shaft bearing.

Did they just replace the clutch plate, or did they replace the
pressure plate, too?

Floyd

Old November 7th 04, 09:17 AM
Thomas Steen Petersen

"fbloogyudsr" > skrev i en meddelelse
> "Dan Drake" > wrote
> > On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 01:41:45 +0100, "Thomas Steen Petersen" wrote:
> >>I'm having a rather anoying problem with my E39 523. When I press the
> >>clutch
> >>pedal, it vibrates. It vibrates the most when the engine is at around

2000
> >>rpm. It doesn't matter if the car is standing still or if it's driving.
> >>Sometimes it is vibrating so hard that it becomes quite a challange to
> >>drive
> >>the car, and sometimes it hardly vibrates at all.
> >>I recently had a new clutch installed, which didn't change anything. The
> >>problem is still there...

> > Was the throwout (thrust) bearing replaced at the same time? I would
> > hope that it was, but if it wasn't then that would be my number one
> > suspect for the problem.

Yes, I asked about that specifically.

> There are two other things I would ask: was the crankshaft bearing
> replaced (there's a small bearing/bushing in the end of the crankshaft
> that the transmission's input shaft runs in.), and did they check the
> play in the transmission's input-shaft bearing.

That I haven't asked them

> Did they just replace the clutch plate, or did they replace the
> pressure plate, too?

Another thing I'm not sure of...

> Floyd

Thanks for the input - I'll ask my mechanic about these things right away

/Thomas.