94 Civic 80amp fuse issue

Old May 30th 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 94 Civic 80amp fuse issue

I go to get into the car, and my belt started to whine - but this was
usual, I just haven't had a chance to adjust the belt tension since
initially putting a new belt on.

I drove less than 20 feet, and the car jolted to a stall. I say
"alright, perhaps I just killed it, no problem" and tried to restart
it. Well, all my electrical components don't work, except for the brake

lights.

After looking around, I notice my 80amp main fuse under the hood was
blown, so I proceeded to replace it. With the new fuse, I was able to
turn everything on, but once I attempted starting the motor, it blew.

More detailed description, before attempting to turn over, everything
works, fuse remains fine. When attempting to turn it over, it quickly
blows the 80amp fuse. Everything else is fine.

I've had no signs of anything going out, and I've recently replaced the

distributor/cap/rotor/spark plugs/wires/fuel filter/battery/alternator,

within the past year. I checked the power wires leading to the starter,

and alternator, and they seem fine.

Is there something I could be missing, that would immediately blow the
80amp fuse upon trying to turn over the car?

I leave town for a new job on Thursday, so it's urgent I get my Civic
running again, for the trip.

Any help appreciated!

Old May 30th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I would look at the starter, it is possible that the windings/dirty
internal
contacts are causing the fuse to heat up and eventually to burn out.

Kevin in Iowa

Old May 30th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Look for a short circuit in the starter or associated wireing.

JT
Old May 30th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

After thinking about it, wouldn't the starter's fuse blow before the
80amp fuse, if it was an issue with the starter?

If I was looking for something on the starter, what would I be looking
for?

Old May 30th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:
> Is there something I could be missing, that would immediately blow the
> 80amp fuse upon trying to turn over the car?

a short in the starter solenoid, or the ignition switch itself
Old May 30th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Wouldn't that blow the fuse under the dash though, for ignition?

I would figure they'd blow their own fuse, before blowing the main
power fuse, unless they're trying to draw in too much power from the
battery, or the battery has been outputting more.

Old May 31st 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I checked the starter solenoid, and it looked fine. I also noticed the
wire that goes from the fuse box also goes to the alternator, so I'm
going to try to replace that wire, and the 80amp fuse, and replace my
car's grounding.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Old June 17th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I changed my ground wires, and the car fired right up... but still
blows the battery fuse.

My starter wire is fine, and everything has been grounded. My
alternator cable looks fine, so I'm really unsure of what could be
causing the problem.

When under heavy accerlation, I blow the fuse.

When starting my car up, randomly (maybe the heat?), I blow the fuse.

Is it possible that it may be an issue with the alternator, perhaps
diodes or dust inside of it? I'm really unsure of what would cause this
problem, and now my car is stuck about a hour away from me.

Any input appreciated.