1983 mustang v6

Old January 24th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
aubrey

Default 1983 mustang v6

my girlfriends car is a 1983 mustang auto in really nice shape except for a
few problems like just quits running even on the highway what should i look
at ???

Old January 24th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob A

"aubrey" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> my girlfriends car is a 1983 mustang auto in really nice shape except for
> few problems like just quits running even on the highway what should i
> look
> at ???

fuel filter
give it a tune up

Old January 25th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

Did those have carbs? Or throttle body FI?
If it has a carb, you might check to see if there's crap in the float bowl,
my 73 ranchero had that problem.
Also, you might have an intermittent electrical problem, loose/corroded 12
volts to the coil, etc.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old January 25th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Garth Almgren

Around 1/24/2007 3:14 PM, nospam wrote:

> Did those have carbs? Or throttle body FI?

Carb. I believe that '83 was the first and only year that had a carbed
3.8L (lucky me...).

> If it has a carb, you might check to see if there's crap in the float bowl,
> my 73 ranchero had that problem.

Ditto. Once I had the carb rebuilt professionally, V6stang ran a *lot*
better. Added about 4-5mpg to boot.

As Bob said, check the fuel filter while you're at it.

> Also, you might have an intermittent electrical problem, loose/corroded 12
> volts to the coil, etc.

That was my first idea. I know on mine, the insulation on the wires
coming out of the DuraSpark box practically crumbled away to nothing
where they were resting on a edge of the inner fender. Really, the only
way to fix it aside from splicing in a new connector (yuck!) is to dip
the whole plug in liquid electrical tape, plastikote, or an equivalent.
Make sure to mask off the connectors _very_ well before you start...

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old January 25th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gene Wagenbreth

Hasnt this been talked about here before a number of times ? I thought thre was
a common problem with mid 80s fords that some part of the electronic ignition
on the engine would overheat and cause intermittent problems such as this.
Something to do with the grease under the box not conducting heat correctly.

Someone remember what I am talking about ?

Old January 27th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Garth Almgren

On Jan 25, 11:37 am, Gene Wagenbreth <genewxxx@isi-OS4> wrote:
> Hasnt this been talked about here before a number of times ? I thought thre was
> a common problem with mid 80s fords that some part of the electronic ignition
> on the engine would overheat and cause intermittent problems such as this.
> Something to do with the grease under the box not conducting heat correctly.
>
> Someone remember what I am talking about ?

I'd forgotten about that; the problem with the TFI ignition modules
overheating:
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/troubleshooting/tfi.html

However, in 1983 Mustangs didn't have a TFI module, at least here in
the US (never heard of the 1.6L on that list, so maybe it was an
export kinda thing).

--
~Garth (via Google)

Old February 19th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
shelbyone

if the wiring harness is ok then it is probably the duraspark box itself