ford ranger tire question

Old July 9th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Chasseur

Default ford ranger tire question

I recently bought a Ford Ranger 4X4 Supercab and the spare is a Continental
P235/70 R 16 whereas the tires on the truck P255/70 R 16. Of course the
diameters are consequently not the same and I was wondering what that would
that do to the rear differential if I had a flat tire on one of the rear
wheels?

Those tires don't perform to well off road either and being P tires they
probably will not last very long. Any recommendations about a good all
terrain tire when replacement time comes?

Thanks

Chasseur

Old July 10th 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Bruce Burden

Chasseur > wrote:
: I recently bought a Ford Ranger 4X4 Supercab and the spare is a Continental
: P235/70 R 16 whereas the tires on the truck P255/70 R 16.
:
They will work the spiders in the diff harder than usual,
but that will happen to some extent, unless you equalize your
tire pressure daily. :-)
:
: Those tires don't perform to well off road either and being P tires they
: probably will not last very long. Any recommendations about a good all
: terrain tire when replacement time comes?
:
I'd go with BF Goodrich Radial AT's. You can find them
at any town that boasts a tire store, which could be important
if you need a replacement.

Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
- Thuganlitha
The Power and the Prophet
Robert Don Hughes

Old July 11th 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Chasseur

"Bruce Burden" > a écrit dans le message de
> Chasseur > wrote:
> : I recently bought a Ford Ranger 4X4 Supercab and the spare is a

Continental
> : P235/70 R 16 whereas the tires on the truck P255/70 R 16.
> :
> They will work the spiders in the diff harder than usual,
> but that will happen to some extent, unless you equalize your
> tire pressure daily. :-)
> :
> : Those tires don't perform to well off road either and being P tires they
> : probably will not last very long. Any recommendations about a good all
> : terrain tire when replacement time comes?
> :
> I'd go with BF Goodrich Radial AT's. You can find them
> at any town that boasts a tire store, which could be important
> if you need a replacement.
>
> Bruce
> "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
> - Thuganlitha
> The Power and the Prophet
> Robert Don Hughes

That is also my analysis. I can't understand why an established company
like Ford would do that knowing very well that would raise questions in the
mind of customers.

As for tires I am considering BFG T/A KO tires. Guess its probably going to
be five of them eventually.

Thanks for the answers.

Chasseur

Old July 11th 09, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
PeterD

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:31:18 -0400, "Chasseur" >
wrote:

>"Bruce Burden" > a écrit dans le message de
>> Chasseur > wrote:
>> : I recently bought a Ford Ranger 4X4 Supercab and the spare is a

>Continental
>> : P235/70 R 16 whereas the tires on the truck P255/70 R 16.
>> :
>> They will work the spiders in the diff harder than usual,
>> but that will happen to some extent, unless you equalize your
>> tire pressure daily. :-)
>> :
>> : Those tires don't perform to well off road either and being P tires they
>> : probably will not last very long. Any recommendations about a good all
>> : terrain tire when replacement time comes?
>> :
>> I'd go with BF Goodrich Radial AT's. You can find them
>> at any town that boasts a tire store, which could be important
>> if you need a replacement.
>>
>> Bruce
>> --
>> "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
>> - Thuganlitha
>> The Power and the Prophet
>> Robert Don Hughes
>>

>That is also my analysis. I can't understand why an established company
>like Ford would do that knowing very well that would raise questions in the
>mind of customers.

Do what? different sized spare? There is nothing in the original post
that implies this was a new truck that came that way from Ford.

>As for tires I am considering BFG T/A KO tires. Guess its probably going to
>be five of them eventually.

I've have very good luck with those tires. I suspect you will like
'em.

Old July 11th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Chasseur

"PeterD" > a écrit dans le message de
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:31:18 -0400, "Chasseur" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Bruce Burden" > a écrit dans le message de
> >> Chasseur > wrote:
> >> : I recently bought a Ford Ranger 4X4 Supercab and the spare is a

> >Continental
> >> : P235/70 R 16 whereas the tires on the truck P255/70 R 16.
> >> :
> >> They will work the spiders in the diff harder than usual,
> >> but that will happen to some extent, unless you equalize your
> >> tire pressure daily. :-)
> >> :
> >> : Those tires don't perform to well off road either and being P tires

they
> >> : probably will not last very long. Any recommendations about a good

all
> >> : terrain tire when replacement time comes?
> >> :
> >> I'd go with BF Goodrich Radial AT's. You can find them
> >> at any town that boasts a tire store, which could be important
> >> if you need a replacement.
> >>
> >> Bruce
> >> --

> >> "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
> >> - Thuganlitha
> >> The Power and the Prophet
> >> Robert Don Hughes
> >>

> >That is also my analysis. I can't understand why an established company
> >like Ford would do that knowing very well that would raise questions in

the
> >mind of customers.

> Do what? different sized spare? There is nothing in the original post
> that implies this was a new truck that came that way from Ford.
>

> >As for tires I am considering BFG T/A KO tires. Guess its probably going

> >be five of them eventually.

> I've have very good luck with those tires. I suspect you will like
> 'em.
>

> >Thanks for the answers.
> >
> >Chasseur

The truck is brand new, 10 days old 2009. I asked the dealer if it was rhe
right spare, never got phoned back.

Chasseur

Old July 11th 09, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
PeterD

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:07:33 -0400, "Chasseur" >
wrote:

>The truck is brand new, 10 days old 2009. I asked the dealer if it was rhe
>right spare, never got phoned back.
>
>Chasseur

Ah, now it is much more interesting! <g> I'd give Ford corporate a
call and see what they say. All the trucks I've ever bought have had
five matched identical tires. Sometimes the rim for the spare is a
standard steel one but always matched tires.
Old July 13th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Chasseur

"PeterD" > a écrit dans le message de
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:07:33 -0400, "Chasseur" >
> wrote:
>

> >The truck is brand new, 10 days old 2009. I asked the dealer if it was

rhe
> >right spare, never got phoned back.
> >
> >Chasseur
> >

> Ah, now it is much more interesting! <g> I'd give Ford corporate a
> call and see what they say. All the trucks I've ever bought have had
> five matched identical tires. Sometimes the rim for the spare is a
> standard steel one but always matched tires.

Just had a talk over the phone with the Ford service people. They confirm
all Rangers of the the type I bought come with the spare I mentioned. Not
an unexpected answer. Funny thing though they insist on mentioning one
should not drive over 50 miles per hour and also not drive for a long time
with the spare on "'the spare is to be used only to get to the nearest
service station..." I gess its let the buyer beware as usual.

Chasseur
Canada

Old July 13th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
PeterD

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:26:28 -0400, "Chasseur" >
wrote:

>"PeterD" > a écrit dans le message de
.. .
>> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:07:33 -0400, "Chasseur" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >The truck is brand new, 10 days old 2009. I asked the dealer if it was

>rhe
>> >right spare, never got phoned back.
>> >
>> >Chasseur
>> >

>> Ah, now it is much more interesting! <g> I'd give Ford corporate a
>> call and see what they say. All the trucks I've ever bought have had
>> five matched identical tires. Sometimes the rim for the spare is a
>> standard steel one but always matched tires.

>Just had a talk over the phone with the Ford service people. They confirm
>all Rangers of the the type I bought come with the spare I mentioned. Not
>an unexpected answer. Funny thing though they insist on mentioning one
>should not drive over 50 miles per hour and also not drive for a long time
>with the spare on "'the spare is to be used only to get to the nearest
>service station..." I gess its let the buyer beware as usual.
>
>Chasseur
>Canada

Ouch! Must be a size limitation on the storage space.
Old July 14th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Chasseur

"PeterD" > a écrit dans le message de
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:26:28 -0400, "Chasseur" >
> wrote:
>

> >"PeterD" > a écrit dans le message de
> .. .

was
> >rhe

> >> Ah, now it is much more interesting! <g> I'd give Ford corporate a
> >> call and see what they say. All the trucks I've ever bought have had
> >> five matched identical tires. Sometimes the rim for the spare is a
> >> standard steel one but always matched tires.

> >Just had a talk over the phone with the Ford service people. They

confirm
> >all Rangers of the the type I bought come with the spare I mentioned.

Not
> >an unexpected answer. Funny thing though they insist on mentioning one
> >should not drive over 50 miles per hour and also not drive for a long

time
> >with the spare on "'the spare is to be used only to get to the nearest
> >service station..." I gess its let the buyer beware as usual.
> >
> >Chasseur
> >Canada
> >

> Ouch! Must be a size limitation on the storage space.

Nope, standard well in front of the rear bumper that will accomodate the
fifth all terrain I am going to buy to replace the OE spare. Somebody
doesn't understand that you take years to build a reputation and can taint
it in the wink of an eye.

Chasseur

Chasseur

Old July 14th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Bruce Burden

Chasseur > wrote:
:
: Just had a talk over the phone with the Ford service people. They confirm
: all Rangers of the the type I bought come with the spare I mentioned. Not
: an unexpected answer.
:
Is that the standard size spare for the 4x2 model? Sounds like
a "most common denominator" issue, now.
:
: Funny thing though they insist on mentioning one
: should not drive over 50 miles per hour and also not drive for a long time
: with the spare on "'the spare is to be used only to get to the nearest
: service station..." I gess its let the buyer beware as usual.
:
Hmmm. Probably overkill, but again, most common denominator.
Ford sounds like they are in the "protect ourselves against
idiots that put on the spare, then never get it changed" mode.
Much like the never to be sufficiently damned "TEMPORARY SPARE"
baloney skin that cars came with in the '80's. And yet, you
would see idiots driving around on those things for days...

Ford Ranger Question handref 4x4 3 April 15th 05 02:38 PM
2003 Ford Ranger Shocks and Tire Cupping Helvis Technology 7 February 27th 05 07:44 AM
00 Ford Ranger Question.... monkey_spanker 4x4 0 February 19th 05 01:54 AM
v6 accord tire question, can I put 225R15 tire to my OEM wheel of 205/R15? [email protected] Honda 0 February 3rd 05 11:37 PM
Attn Tire experts. Tire valve stem question Jim Smith Saturn 1 June 17th 04 07:03 AM